Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

NateRiver
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Aug 2012, 6:03 pm

I always make lots of silly mistakes on tests and never finish on time.
I always lose my glasses and my phone.
I sometimes drift of into my own world and think about thousands of other small details when doing something and end up making mistakes, for example:I was doing 275/ 5 in my head and I thought about information related to calculation and abandoned entirely the whole process and ended up saying the answer was 21?

I have problems ordering my thoughts so when I'm explaining something everything is jumbled up.

It just seems I have to remind myself to keep focused and on task or I fail, but it's quite hard

And, when I'm trying to solve a problem all the information goes everywhere in my mind and I have trouble gathering it all together to form a solution.
I'm also very hyper most of the time.

I also have attention problems.

I haven't been diagnosed with ADHD, but Idk. Are these autistic traits?

Why am I like this?

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 11:42 pm

I have ADHD Inattentive type and what you describe happens to me all the time. I think it tempers my focus from AS. It's a strange combo, for sure.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 3:33 am

Yes, it sounds like ADHD or ADD.

ADHD traits are also part of autism, but if they are "too strong" than they can be diagnosed with ADHD/ADD in adittion to autism, but in the end it's the opinion of your doctor.

Because accourding to the diagnostic standarts it's not possible to diagnose autism and ADHD/ADD together, but a lot do.

haidouk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2012, 1:49 pm

I have Aspergers--very definitely NOT ADD or ADHD. I know people who have this and Im quite different from them. From what you say these things I identify with, and how:

- Never finishing tests "on time" - I was INVARIABLY the last one to finish tests in my class. Yet I did very well academically. It wasn't an indication that I was "stupid" or anything but just that I agonized over every detail, was very precise about what I'd say, and used any extra time to "second guess"--that's the way I've always been. I would never be "done" until the time ran out and I had to turn the thing in.

- Losing glasses and phone. Ditto. With regard to "memory" (there's a lot of hype about people on the Autism spectrum as having spectacular memories)... I have no spectacular memory for things like this whatsoever. I can't find my wallet, glasses, phone, etc when I'm trying to leave the house. Even remembering numbers--I don't remember my own (mobile) number so I don't even tell people I have one because they will ask for this and it's embarrassing to me that I don't know it.

- Ordering thoughts. I've very good verbally. But I don't necessarily produce "good writing" because of the way it comes to me. When I "write things down" in a stream of though, It doesn't end up in the nice neat narrative that people like to read. It's very convoluted. As a result when I write anything I constantly proofread, backtrack write new things, and then try to order everything in a way that has some kind of "flow" to it before daring to present it. This "flow' just doesn't come out of me naturally, although the thoughts themselves can be great. I require a lot of self-editing in order to communicate in a way that people appreciate. I don't know if this is exactly the sort of thing you're referring to, but this is my experience.

- Focusing on a task: Maybe/maybe not. You'd have to give examples and clarify what you're talking about on this one. There are many things I *HATE* dong and it is INCREDIBLY difficult for me to get into them and get them done without being distracted by something else. Conversely, there are other things that pull me in and that I simply don't have the time in the day to devote to as I'd like. So this may be an issue for me, but I'm not sure whether or not I'm understanding exactly what you're describing on this one.

I admit, I am not well-versed about the interrelation of ADHD and ASDs. I just know me and my situation. I have seen kids with ADHD who seem CRAZY (not intended in a pejorative way--I just mean very wild and scattered) to me. I was nothing like this as a kid I was VERY meticulous, VERY non-social and very focused on MY things. The wildness, randomness, running around and lack of focus etc is not something that seems consistent with my experience of AS/high-functioning autism. Other people will doubtlessly have different observations, but this is what I have to offer from my personal experience. Hope this helps!

Were I in your shoes, I'd do some research to identify a good, well-reputed, local professional who has good familiarity and experience with both (ADHD and ASD), and just have yourself professionally evaluated by someone who is really good and who knows what they are doing.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 6:55 pm

NateRiver wrote:
I always make lots of silly mistakes on tests and never finish on time.
I always lose my glasses and my phone.
I sometimes drift of into my own world and think about thousands of other small details when doing something and end up making mistakes, for example:I was doing 275/ 5 in my head and I thought about information related to calculation and abandoned entirely the whole process and ended up saying the answer was 21?

I have problems ordering my thoughts so when I'm explaining something everything is jumbled up.

It just seems I have to remind myself to keep focused and on task or I fail, but it's quite hard

And, when I'm trying to solve a problem all the information goes everywhere in my mind and I have trouble gathering it all together to form a solution.
I'm also very hyper most of the time.

I also have attention problems.

I haven't been diagnosed with ADHD, but Idk. Are these autistic traits?

Why am I like this?

see a psychiatrist or psychologist they will give you clarity