Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 12:12 am

anyone else run away?

I used to growing up when I got in trouble to avoid being yelled at. I would also run when having a meltdown so I could be alone. I would never run away for long no more than a few hours.

MikaNeko
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2012, 1:44 am

I still do some times. Most the time it's when I'm having a meltdown, I just feel the urge to run as far away as possible.

Your Aspie score: 150 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 57 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

日本語をならっています。

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 4:57 am

Yeah i used to run away when i was a kid. though a couple of years ago a friend of mine went right off at me on osmething she didnt understand and i was oblivious to teh whole situation. I was bear foot and she couldnt get over how fast i ran away, in under a minute i had run more than 50 meters. It was almost winter and I had no jumper n it was right on dusk, i ran into the forrest till i could find somewhere safe to come to my senses, n then I had a meltdown. Which is when my friend found me, but i didnt want to come home, she had to promise me a lot of things to even get me to agree to come back home.
And she still doesnt believe I have Aspergers after everything...

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2012, 5:51 am

I only run away if I get dragged into my friends personal problems and dramas which I do not want a part of and I run away if people tease me or put me down to a piece of dirt and be nasty to me and I have a meltdown. I ended up running out of the place I worked at which is a disability workshop twice due to my ex-friend upsetting me so much and teasing me the councillor and two receptionists ran after me yelling my name I just keep on running crying and got into the taxi and went home. Then I had everyone plus my Mum try and ring me for the next two days I turned my phone off and I just did not want to talk to anyone or see anyone Mum ended up coming over my place crying because she thought I had hurt myself and she was about to ring the police. I have a habit of just disappearing.

Issit
Raven
Raven

23 Aug 2012, 7:46 am

Yup, did used to run away.

And in some cases still use it as a- kind of -extreme solution.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 8:37 am

chris5000 wrote:
anyone else run away?

I used to growing up when I got in trouble to avoid being yelled at. I would also run when having a meltdown so I could be alone. I would never run away for long no more than a few hours.

This is my overriding instinct when things get too much. I did it once literally, when my youngest was having a meltdown in the middle of a large shop, which brought everyone to a standstill and I just ran, leaving the children with my husband. Trouble was, they were running after me hysterically screaming "MUMMY!" which thinking about it must have looked quite comical, if too noisy, to people in the street. But I had to get away, the sensory overload of her meltdown was too much.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 1:30 pm

Issit wrote:
Yup, did used to run away.

And in some cases still use it as a- kind of -extreme solution.

I still do sometimes but I dont literally run for the most part anymore. I try to just casually walk away to not raise any eyebrows

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 3:17 pm

A lot of children do it to get attention, especially if they have emotional issues or don't get along with their parents. I did try to run away a few times, but I wasn't very good at it! :lol: I never quite knew where to go, I used to come to dead ends and be afraid to go any further, and then I used to turn back and go home, and sit about in the garden for ages. But nobody really said anything or even noticed. If I had had an argument with my mum, she still used to stay arsey with me even if I had gone away for an hour. I suppose she knew I wasn't the type to run away and that I'll always be back. If I had gone for hours, I suppose she would start getting worried and call the police.

I remember trying to run away once when I was 19. It was snowing quite bad, and I hate the snow, so I angrily got my boots and coat on and walked out of the house angrily, kicking the snow as I marched into the street. I got to the other end of the town, then thought there wasn't anywhere else to go. And suddenly my mood lifted and I became in an apologetic mood and so I texted my mum and said sorry then came home. She forgave me, thank God.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 6:33 pm

Sure, we used to run away all the time during teenage years. My mom exploded all the time back then. Well she's always hot tempered but at that time she was working 12+ hours a day. We were too big for her to spank us then, so when she pull out the duster or broom or something we'd just ignore it. However when she pull out a knife we bolt out of the door instantly. I tend to visit a friend for a few hours and my brother would go play soccer with some neighbors. We knew she'd never really stab us but you can't be too careful. After a few hours her anger would dissipate and then we could go home.

I did run away a couple times when I was angry, but always returned the same day. I can't seem to hold onto my anger very long. Growing up with my family I'm too used to arguments and fights.

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Aug 2012, 7:06 pm

Never had the temptation of properly running away from a social situation in my memory. However, my brother met a mate of mine who's 20 and has Asperger's in the city once, and a couple of people from their old secondary school came by in a chance meeting. As soon as this happened, the mate of mine ran off. He ran away from them at full pelt. He later explained that he's trying to disassociate himself from everything to do with that school and couldn't even bear to be in the company of a few other former students.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 7:07 pm

Well, one might argue that walking into a military recruiter's office out of the blue and joining the military with no previous plan or desire to do so and moving half way across the country from everyone you know could be considered running away.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 7:40 pm

I still run away at times when I'm confused/in a meltdown. Sometimes it's more related to my dissociative disorder, like I have a PTSD flashback and I run away from it in a dissociated state. However, as a child, it happened a lot when I was in meltdown state.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 8:35 pm

I used to "run away" sometimes....but the few times I did it I would always tell my dad and stepmom where I was and they would come get me there after about half an hour, lol....I don't think that's how running away is supposed to work, but I either just didn't know how to go about it or was really just too scared to actually go thru with it.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Jasmine90
Toucan
Toucan

24 Aug 2012, 2:47 am

I don't believe I have ever run away. To me, any place outside of my personal comfort zone (my room) is much worse than what happens within a close proximity.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 1:52 pm

Joe90 wrote:
A lot of children do it to get attention, especially if they have emotional issues or don't get along with their parents. I did try to run away a few times, but I wasn't very good at it! :lol: I never quite knew where to go, I used to come to dead ends and be afraid to go any further, and then I used to turn back and go home, and sit about in the garden for ages. But nobody really said anything or even noticed. If I had had an argument with my mum, she still used to stay arsey with me even if I had gone away for an hour. I suppose she knew I wasn't the type to run away and that I'll always be back. If I had gone for hours, I suppose she would start getting worried and call the police.

I remember trying to run away once when I was 19. It was snowing quite bad, and I hate the snow, so I angrily got my boots and coat on and walked out of the house angrily, kicking the snow as I marched into the street. I got to the other end of the town, then thought there wasn't anywhere else to go. And suddenly my mood lifted and I became in an apologetic mood and so I texted my mum and said sorry then came home. She forgave me, thank God.

yeah I would always calm down after an hour or so, I guess it was my method of cooling off.