Page 9 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 7:02 pm

I understand the point you are making and the argumentation of aghogday and my own experiance.
Still it is a spectrum and I cannot define the borders of it.
But significant impairment is required for being diagnosed with autism and it includes more than being "socially impaired".
Individuals with many disorders are socially impaired in their own ways.
Aspergers/Autism = pervasive developmental disorder.
That is the definition.
But I cannot tell how every individual is experiancing his/her autism.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 7:20 pm

Quote:
Impairments of social interaction

3.2.1 The aloof group

This is the most common type of social impairment. Behavior may include:

Behaving as if other people do not exist;
Little or no eye contact made;
No response when spoken to;
Faces empty of expression except with extreme joy, anger or distress;
No response to cuddling;
If something is wanted, carers' hands may be pulled towards the object;
May respond to rough and tumble play well, but when this stops return to aloof pattern;
Seem to 'be in a world of their own'.

3.2.2 The passive group

Least common group, features include:

The child accepts social approaches;
May meet the gaze of others;
May become involved as a passive part of a game.

3.2.3 The active but odd group

Children of this group make active approaches to others but make that contact in strange ways, including:

Paying no attention to the other party;
Poor eye contact although sometimes may stare too long;
May hug or shake hands too hard.

3.2.4 The over-formal, stilted group

Seen in later life, this behavior is common in the most able person with autism. The following characteristics tend to be displayed:

Excessively polite and formal;
Have a good level of language;
Try very hard to stick to the rules of social interaction without really understanding them.

This definiton of groups could define as "personality traits" defined in autism regarding social interaction meaning that there are differences in how individuals react to social engagement, but also a combination of groups is possible depending on a certain interaction/ situation. There is no clear cut-off.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 8:01 pm

I love how this discussion is so relevant to the topic of discussion.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 10:03 pm

Actually, it is very relevant as one's definition, perception and experience of what autism is, is relevant to how one may perceive and define "a cure for autism".

If the issue was only based on an analysis of the specific research projects that are actually being done, without the word cure associated with the specific research that is being done, the perception of the research could be different, although the existing and planned specific research projects would still be directed at the same existing specific goals, per each research project.

There is no specific research that has been peer reviewed and accepted into journals, that attempts to suggest or provide a result that indicates there is the potential for one definitive cure for autism spectrum disorders, as that seems to be how you personally perceive and define the phrase "a cure for autism".

Provided what appears to be your personal definition of the phrase "a cure for autism", that is part of the problem of resolving the topic question that you pejoratively describe, as currently there are no reputable research scientists or autism organizations that fund research that are suggesting there is one definitive cure for all autism spectrum disorders. The reputable professionals dedicated to the search for a cure for autism, if they even use that phrase, describe it as an extremely complex process with the potential of a myriad of answers for a myriad of issues related to the entire autism spectrum and associated co-morbid conditions.

The question of if there is the potential of one definitive cure for all autism spectrum disorders, was answered years ago as the number of potential causal factors were determined as myriad. So, effectively it is not possible that the phrase "a cure for autism" can possibly be defined by reputable professionals in the field of autism research as one definitive cure for all autism spectrum disorders.

And it is also why there is no serious discussion among any reputable scientists or Autism Organizations that fund research, that there is a likley probability for one definitive cause or group of causes that can be used in a definitive prenatal or postnatal test to scan for all autism spectrum disorders. The potential to scan for an elevated risk, is all that is currently anticipated as probable.

The current leading autism research organization in the world working toward the development of a prenatal screening test for Autism, in Australia, as reported by the scientist that leads that research, Andrew Whitehouse, discusses that in the quote below linked here:

http://m.smh.com.au/national/health/prenatal-autism-test-may-deliver-ethical-questions-20120827-24wok.html

Quote:
Andrew Whitehouse, who heads the autism and related disorders program at the Telethon Institute of Child Health Research in Perth, said there would probably never be a cast-iron diagnostic test during pregnancy for autism like those available for Down syndrome. Instead, a test would only point to an elevated risk of autism, but some people might still use it to decide whether to continue a pregnancy.

The idea that there is a significant possibility of one definitive prenatal test for all autism spectrum disorders, or the idea that there is the signficant possibility of one definitive cure for all Autism Spectrum Disorders, is not an idea that is currently intended and promoted by any reputable autism advocacy organization or reputable Autism research scientist.

The discussion of any significant probability or fear of significant probability of one definitive cure or definitive prenatal test for all autism spectrum disorders, is coming from outside of the arena of reputable research scientists and advocacy organizations. It is not something that one should take seriously if one hears a rumor like this spread across the internet, as there is no evidence at this point a significant probability exists.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 7:36 pm

Nonperson wrote:
I used to take Zoloft and I stopped because I was not willing to endure the side effects I had. I don't know how it balances out for you. People have different symptoms and different reactions to drugs, but that is a particularly dangerous one.

How is Zoloft any more "dangerous" than any other psychiatric medication? Compared to other psychiatric medications, Zoloft is extremely mild when it comes to side effects and risks. The whole suicide in young adults thing associated with SSRIs most likely occurs in as-of-yet-undiagnosed bipolar youth who are prescribed an SSRI for what is thought to be unipolar depression, or individuals with the genetic propensity for bipolar disorder.

Nash: Is there a difference?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Aug 2012, 8:52 pm

OddDuckNash99 wrote:
Nonperson wrote:
I used to take Zoloft and I stopped because I was not willing to endure the side effects I had. I don't know how it balances out for you. People have different symptoms and different reactions to drugs, but that is a particularly dangerous one.

How is Zoloft any more "dangerous" than any other psychiatric medication? Compared to other psychiatric medications, Zoloft is extremely mild when it comes to side effects and risks. The whole suicide in young adults thing associated with SSRIs most likely occurs in as-of-yet-undiagnosed bipolar youth who are prescribed an SSRI for what is thought to be unipolar depression, or individuals with the genetic propensity for bipolar disorder.

I take Zoloft and I haven't even noticed any side effects, which is a first for me trying anti-depressants. My doctor wants me to try a higher dosage, however, and I suspect I will have some bad effects at that point.