Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

oftenaloof
Raven
Raven

23 Aug 2012, 10:46 am

In everything I do in life I tend to learn something very quickly. Especially when it comes to anything technical, I am able to see or hear it done once and I can do it well ongoing. Or sit me down in front of a system of any kind and I can become an expert in a few minutes.

Is this an AS trait? I've never understood it and people that I work with or employers tend to be confused as to how I can learn things so quickly. It all comes natural.

Thoughts?

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 11:28 am

Not anything with hands unless it's my special interest, like scouting, The rest, yes.

Cyd
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Aug 2012, 11:35 am

I am the same. I think of it as "exploring". I love to explore. Systems are very exciting to me.

You can often tell, by the system itself, whether it was created by someone who was "just doing their job" or by someone who loves systems. I especially love exploring systems created by people who simply love to create systems - they often have some little aspect that is so brilliant that it just blows your mind! Exploring and discovering something like that is almost like receiving a letter from the "home planet"! ROFL!

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 11:39 am

Compaired to others - yes.

In school what took other classmates several lessons to 'get' I got immediately - unfortunately I often assumed I mustn't have 'gotten' it so would spend significant amounts of time stressing because I couldn't see whatever it was that was supposed to be so hard. I also often find when I try new things I'm very good immediately, show me once and if I get it I do it very well...in some cases it's about being good at mimicry, but in others it's just 'getting' things straight-off.

Then of course there are things that I just can't 'get', if it doesn't interest me or if I'm in the wrong frame of mind my brain just doesn't compute.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Mmuffinn
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Aug 2012, 11:45 am

With everything technical or related to my special interest, yes. In nursing I would learn complex procedures after watching it being done once and could do it perfectly on the first try, like inserting a catheter or removing a suction tube. If I, or a family member, get a new toy like a digital camera, cell phone, ipod, etc., I have it all figured out in a matter of minutes.
In math I only have to be shown how to do something once and I understand it, which is great for self directed learning but awful for mandatory attendance classes. I have always hated math classes because of the repetition. I don't need to do 15 pages of equations, or spend 15 hours of class time on the same thing. It is just so boring! I had a mandatory attendance math class in nursing and the instructor wouldn't even let me read quietly in the back, even though I kept an average of 100% in her class. But I had to attend 80% of her classes to pass, even though I was tutoring other students through student services while I, myself, was still enrolled in the course. Eventually she let me leave class about 15 minutes in every day, after she explained what we would be learning that day.

oftenaloof
Raven
Raven

23 Aug 2012, 11:48 am

Cyd wrote:
I am the same. I think of it as "exploring". I love to explore. Systems are very exciting to me.

You can often tell, by the system itself, whether it was created by someone who was "just doing their job" or by someone who loves systems. I especially love exploring systems created by people who simply love to create systems - they often have some little aspect that is so brilliant that it just blows your mind! Exploring and discovering something like that is almost like receiving a letter from the "home planet"! ROFL!

Same here, and I have an ability to spot what kind of person designed it. For example, I pointed out to the tech director at my new company that I figured most everything was designed by someone with poor coding skills and no design skills who used dozens of while-loops to perform DB queries. She was kind of blown away because I hadn't seen the code... I could just tell how everything was being run. Some sort of strange programming intuition.

I love to explore as well... I like you. :)

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Aug 2012, 12:11 pm

It depends on the environment for me...if it's a stressful place and I'm being given instructions quickly, I can essentially shutdown and become utterly useless but when I'm alone with just my thoughts and I want to learn something new and also be unbelievably good at it, I do and in very little time. Picked up piano one day, taught myself and one year later, I've easily surpassed all of the friends/acquaintances who inspired me. Same thing happened with guitar, singing (yes, this can be learned, trust me...I was TERRIBLE at first :) ) and whatever else I tried.

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Aug 2012, 12:27 pm

I'm a systems analyst by trade. Unfortunately no one has ever wanted to hear or pay me to tell them how to make theirs better. Big surprise, right?

Canaspie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 12:33 pm

Depends what it is. If it's an area that I'm interested in and naturally good at, I learn almost instantaneously. However, it requires a lot of effort to gain even a basic understanding of the stuffy that doesn't naturally interest me.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 12:37 pm

I learn by myself very quickly. I don't very quickly if others try to teach me things.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 12:55 pm

Yes. It's what I do. I just kind of soak up information without trying much. You put me and information in the same room, and it's bound to end up in my brain somehow. I know lots of useless data. Some useful stuff too, amazingly enough. :lol:

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

23 Aug 2012, 1:00 pm

It depends on what is being taught to me. If I find it interesting, I'm likely to learn it faster, and even do a little bit of my own research on the subject. Everything else I learn at a slightly faster pace than a lot of people (or I just pay attention in class).

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 1:02 pm

yeah I do it made me hate school because of how painfully slow everything when curriculum wise. I was in a special needs class for some reason all the way to highschool. the "teachers" did nothing but sit around their desk and talk to each other all day.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 2:25 pm

As long as it's something I'm not coerced into learning, I can say that I am faster than 99% of the population in learning things. People are starting to realize I am literally a walking encyclopedia because I can memorize and understand my special interests in a way that few can match.

I hated school because it was tortuously slow. It's like being on a highway where everyone is going 20km/h.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 7:57 pm

For the most part, I do tend to learn things much faster than others.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2012, 9:18 pm

Well, when I was little, there were some things I learned quickly (like basic manners, how to read and spell) and some things that took me much longer to learn (like math and a second language).

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes