Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

allakara
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Aug 2012, 12:24 am

i often find i used to like facebook and for a while i often would go on it everyday regularly. however ive gotten kind of sick of it lately because i feel like all and all most of my friend really don't know me that well and i also get annoyed when i look at people from highschool and middle school boasting about their amazing social times with thousands of pics in your face as well as constantly seeing their achievements i.e. getting their degree, finding their good paying job, and already setteling down to have children (even though i don't really want kids) when i'm still haven't achieved any of these things like a mere degree yet. what's your thoughts on facebook? do you dislike it for similar reasons?

zxy8
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Aug 2012, 12:37 am

I like it as I can talk to my friends there. I only add my best friends to it, so I know all those people are true friends.

KuRowbot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Aug 2012, 1:10 am

I can't say I dislike it for that sort of superficial reason. Rather, I accept that I'm not going to be like those people as just who I am.
That said, I still occasionally use it. My family and friends use it somewhat, so that's why I haven't forgotten about it completely.
It acts as an easy, centralized location for people to interact and socialize. (It does what it's made for.)
In any case, I'm not very social. So, of course, I don't use it much.
I set it up to email me for when someone tries to contact me so that I don't miss it, as well.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 1:46 am

I've never used any social networking sites, and I never will.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 2:23 am

I really don't feel like posting all of the dirty little details of my life online for someone to sell to the highest bidder. Thus the answer is no. I don't want an easily searchable database that shows all of my social connections, friendships, family, etc. There is too much of a chance that it could be used against me in either a future employment situation or by the criminal justice system should I ever be (wrongly) accused of a crime. Having had enough bad dealings with law enforcement due to how I come across, I really don't want to give them anything for free.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 4:22 am

i have two F B account.
One account i have added people from wrong planet, and other site
on other account i have added family members, cousins, relatives and one college friend
and office colleague

i like and enjoy using account where i have added stranger
they are similar to me and i can relate to them

but the acct where i have added known people its uncomfortable
they barely interact, they keep adding photos of social event
they make me realise that i am left out and not invited
many of them are my cousins who seem least bothered to know or interact with
me.
overall scenario is bad there...i will be deleting that acct soon
but will continue with the acct where all strangers and important groups are there.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 5:54 am

I use facebook sometimes. It is a handy way to keep in touch with overseas relatives. I have cousins in Germany.

When It comes to my friends list I only add family members and people that I have met before in real life.

LaPelirroja
Raven
Raven

24 Aug 2012, 5:54 am

KuRowbot wrote:
It acts as an easy, centralized location for people to interact and socialize. (It does what it's made for.)
Well put. That's why I like the site, or at least appreciate it- it's about the simplest way of keeping tabs on the people in your life, without actually communicating with them face to face.

That said, although I do use it a lot (occasionally I'll discover funny comics or interesting articles), I wouldn't call it my favorite site. Because people on facebook essentially act as they might in real life, you encounter the same flaws you'd find in real people, only it's amplified somewhat. One can, for example, yell and scream as much as they want without getting thrown off, because being online provides a filter. The most opinionated people are also the mostly likely to post frequently, and highly opinionated people are not necessarily going to be the most intelligent.

But there is also an important underlying factor: social relationships don't come easily to me. Any time I am chatting live with a friend, although part of me enjoys it, it also feels like a bit of a chore. My anxiety levels increase. I worry about what kind of impression I'm giving off, whether I'm being clever enough. That sort of thing. Socializing is hard work.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 6:41 am

I don't FB or twit or use any other general social sites. I only do WP, Dear Abby, a few online newspapers, and some political new sites. Politics is an interest of mine. On rare occasions I have posted at other sites to get help with questions I had. Among them car repair and furnace repair issues.

Like OutOfPlace, I don't want my private life to be in the public arena. Personal stuff is just that--personal, and shouldn't be food for the general public, or for misuse by gov and biz interests.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 8:33 am

[quote="allakara"]i often find i used to like facebook and for a while i often would go on it everyday regularly. however ive gotten kind of sick of it lately because i feel like all and all most of my friend really don't know me that well and i also get annoyed when i look at people from highschool and middle school boasting about their amazing social times with thousands of pics in your face as well as constantly seeing their achievements i.e. getting their degree, finding their good paying job, and already setteling down to have children (even though i don't really want kids) when i'm still haven't achieved any of these things like a mere degree yet. what's your thoughts on facebook? do you dislike it for similar reasons?[/quote]

Yes, it makes me feel lonely.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 12:28 pm

I have an account and remember why I cancelled it in the first place before recently re-opening it. People put the most ridiculous stuff on there and put all kinds of personal details like anyone cares about where they went to supper. I laugh that many of these same people are scared of the government having secret databases. Why would they need to worry about that? They provide that information voluntarily!

I've noticed the two women I'm interested in do not have Facebook either. Think I will join them and delete my account for good!

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 8:37 pm

I don't really like much about facebook. What I see people doing is attention whoring, involving themselves and others into drama ( or trying), and talking to friends. Talking to friends is not bad. I am actually considering making a FB so I can talk to WP people through the chat, since that's what many of us Autistic folks seem to use. I won't use it for anything else though. I used to have a facebook, before WP, I didn't see much use in it. I just noticed people posting thousands of pictures of themselves for the most part.

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2012, 1:04 pm

Something that really confuses me is how people on the internet often ask first thing or second thing after meeting you "Do you have a facebook?" before asking a bunch of other important questions. Maybe it's because I don't have and really care much for FB, but it seems so strange to be so quick to ask for a FB like it is a tell site about your personality or something. actually makes things awkward pretty quick for me, since I don't like to give most randoms much info on me that quick.

unseenu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Aug 2012, 4:01 pm

As I have said on several other threads I have made a conscious choice to not join Facebook,I don't like the idea of the whole world relying on one big corporation to run their whole lives. Sure it often makes me an outsider but I am happy to watch others on their way to becoming the borg collective.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2012, 12:30 pm

I use it for gossip. Because I'm usually quiet in social situations, people assume that I'm not going to understand any jokes or other shenanigans that happen within the social group, which is annoying because I do understand jokes and all of that sort of thing. So I go on Facebook to find out what goes on with who, just so I can keep up with the latest gossip among people who I know. It may sound nosy but it isn't really, since people post pictures and comments for people to read or notice, if they didn't want anyone to know then they wouldn't put it.

japan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2012, 1:43 pm

I didn't have a facebook account for years. I first opened mine in may 2012. I never really got it, I guess.

I still rarely ever go on it; and I have only a few select friends. I like this site better.