Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

questor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 8:25 am

Some of you may have caught my recent comments about my new next-door neighbor, and his NOISY motor cycle. Well, now I have another annoyance. The trailer park has added a couple of speed bumps. One of them is just yards away from my parking pad. Many times a day--and night--I get to hear cars bumping over those things. It's not very loud, but to have this sound repeated frequently during the day, but without a pattern, such as music has, is very annoying. :roll: The speed bumps are also hard on the cars. Personally, I don't think they were needed, as the lanes here are narrow, and don't have very long straight sections, so you really can't go too fast anyway.

There is nothing I can do about the situation though, so I am stuck with it. I can't find a better place to live for what I am paying here. I am renting the trailer from my parents, who are charging me just about what it would cost to rent a cheap room with shared bath, and maybe use of kitchen, in this area, but getting a trailer with 2 bedrooms, living room, eat in kit, laundry alcove, full bath, porch, and shed. Also, I am on the side that's not next to the local school, and there are no neighbors behind my trailer because there is a wooded mountain there. So, I am not about to move when what I have is better than anything else I could get for the same price. I am on SSI, so my options are limited.

At least I can run my fans or have the radio tuned to static for white sound when I need to sleep, and yes, it does help. :D

coolies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Aug 2012, 8:55 am

Have u tried earphones? Even if they are not plugged into anything... Earphone do wonders for me, I never realised how loud the world is until I left my earphones at home

But for me does lead to a meltdown if one stops working

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 10:34 am

I know exactly how you feel. I used to live in a pretty quiet place for almost 19 years, and this year we moved and now I live in a house with 5 other families, and of course the guy living directly above me is loudest of them all. First night I had to sleep here I had a meltdown because someone wouldn't stop to bang doors and stomp around until 4 am. Worst thing is, if you complain everyone else is just "yeah those are normal everyday noises, get used to that".

I'm currently trying autosuggestion and relaxation techniques and it does help a bit. Like, whenever there's a noise you dislike you tell yourself "I can bear that" and think of something pleasant, maybe a noise you like. Takes a few days but then you'll notice a slow, steady improvement. I still have to sleep with earplugs though, and I don't think that'll ever change. When I'm older and get enough money I'll try to move to a very quiet, rural area, but right now the only thing you can do is trying to improve your noise tolerance.