Page 9 of 12 [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Bookmaker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2016, 4:44 am

Muggles

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Oct 2016, 6:47 am

Bookmaker wrote:
Muggles

I think that J. K. Rowling might object to copyright infringement.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

Kaybono88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jun 2017, 1:55 pm

Socially obedient 8)

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2017, 2:04 pm

There's no reason to confuse the general public with a new word. Instead we should focus on autism acceptance.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 10:53 am

Alternative for "NT" -- still thinking about it, compromising, living vicariously, dropping hints, (passive) aggressive, procrastinating.

https://www.google.com/#q=wikipedia+liminality
http://neovictorianist.blogspot.com/201 ... hropy.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_relativism

You say that you want acceptance. They engage in dialogue, for the sake of negative attention. It's called dialectics.

We think of it, in terms of time management. What is a nameable goal, to be accomplished, by a date, in the short term.

They will be asking what really happened, 200yrs from now.

imo, NT's can't fixate on anything specific. Most interaction is meant to lead you on, or be an ongoing process. It's like the hypnotic induction, where there is a train, balloon, elevator, or cloud, and they are forever chasing some white rabbit, into a state of limbo. All you have to figure out, is how to keep the ball rolling.

They are always getting confused by some new word. You can remember what they said, 20 yrs ago, and already know what they will still be saying, 20 yrs into the future.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2017, 11:02 am

Bookmaker wrote:
Muggles

Kaybono88 wrote:
Socially obedient 8)

:)

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 7:31 pm

Quote:
Muggles

xD

Probably the safest and truest term you can use is "non-autistic". It couldn't possibly offend anyone. And J K Rowling can't sue you for saying it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 7:39 pm

BrokenPieces wrote:
Quote:
Muggles

xD

Probably the safest and truest term you can use is "non-autistic". It couldn't possibly offend anyone. And J K Rowling can't sue you for saying it.

For many on WP they would be more comfortable with "non-diagnosed autistic"

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 8:21 pm

:?: Being undiagnosed doesn't mean you're not autistic. You're not autistic just from the moment a professional says you are. Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 1:53 am

BrokenPieces wrote:
:?: Being undiagnosed doesn't mean you're not autistic. You're not autistic just from the moment a professional says you are. Or am I misunderstanding what you mean?

There's very strong feeling in some sections of WP that if you are undiagnosed then you can't call yourself autistic or an Aspie

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2017, 3:28 am

cyberdad wrote:
BrokenPieces wrote:

There's very strong feeling in some sections of WP that if you are undiagnosed then you can't call yourself autistic or an Aspie

You are autistic or you are not. Now matter if a proffessional diagnosed you or you self diagnosed, if you call yourself aspie or autistic you may or may not be correct. No language policers have the ability to change this.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 9:32 am

The We're Just Like Everybody Elsers.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 10:07 am

Butterfly88 wrote:
There's no reason to confuse the general public with a new word. Instead we should focus on autism acceptance.

I am focusing on NT acceptance, although I realize that they are ultimately, delicate victims, who need my help, whether they actually want it or not. 8)

I like the figure of speech, from the Wizard of Oz, in which true seekers (visiting a mortal man) are called "victims of disorganized thinking." They are then given testimonials and honorary degrees (by the mere mortal) so are special.

Owing to the fact that they are flawed, NT could be misspelled, intentionally, for a twisted, noir kind-of effect -- like when California is spelled with a K.

BrokenPieces
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 12:29 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
BrokenPieces wrote:

You are autistic or you are not. Now matter if a proffessional diagnosed you or you self diagnosed, if you call yourself aspie or autistic you may or may not be correct. No language policers have the ability to change this.

I had no idea this was a concern in some parts of WP. (I tend to steer clear of more serious topics.) There are some people diagnosed with autism that aren't autistic, just like there are undiagnosed people that are autistic.

I thought this community would be different, more accepting but I guess neurotype has nothing to do with that.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 12:42 pm

Chronos wrote:
mmcool wrote:
the word nurotypical is getting old and it's meaning is not that right we need a new word for nurotypicals

please reply with suggestions

There was a word. "Normal". However some individuals took offence to the implication that they were not normal.

I find that reaction utterly ludicrous. "Normal" is a statistic. If you fall within that wide swath of average, then you are typical, or normal - in line with the majority of the population.

If you fall OUTSIDE that band of normalcy, then you are AB-Normal. It ain't rocket science.

If your neurology is statistically consistent with only a small fraction of the overall population of the species, then you cannot be considered "normal."

I am not normal, and have no shame or embarrassment in owning that fact. It would be stupid of me to assert otherwise. No one on the LGBT spectrum is "normal," either, and I don't give a damn how politically incorrect it is to say so, it's a mathematical fact, and if you can't see or accept that, you're living in denial.

Being something other than "normal" does not mean you are unacceptable, or bad in any sense.

Defective? Well, you may have to come to that determination for yourself. Personally, I freely acknowledge my deviations from the norm involve many defects that make it extremely difficult for me to function in a world designed and organized for "normal" people.

On topic, I kind of like the term "normies," because it sounds vaguely diminutive and insulting, without being crass or openly hostile.

I just had a mental image of an NT walking into a bar full of Aspergians and being greeted with a chorus of "NORM!" like on Cheers. :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2017, 8:05 pm

BrokenPieces wrote:
I thought this community would be different, more accepting but I guess neurotype has nothing to do with that.

I recall when I was more religious that Matthew Ch 7 verse 5 Jesus once reportedly said How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ while there is still a beam in your own eye?

Translation: Many on WP make generalizations about nuerotypicals without awareness that they i) are making the same narrow minded judgments they attribute to nuerotypicals themselves and ii) they often carry the same generalisations about fellow people on the Autism spectrum, especially those labelled low functioning