Page 12 of 12 [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 12:15 am

cyberdad wrote:
Oh the irony....a "square" was a term coined by the jazz community in the 1940s who thought jazz music was the music of the devil

"It was coined...BY ...the jazz community...who thought jazz music was the music of the devil."

That's like saying "the GOP considers Republicanism to be the work of the Devil".

Were you smoking meth when you typed that statement? It makes zero sense.

The post war Bebop (late forties progressive jazz) community coined the term "square" to mean folks not hip to their music. That part is true.

But the jazz community did not consider their own music to be "the work of the devil". That was what some outsiders thought (and would later think of Elvis and rocknroll).

Either you were confused about the facts (and thought that Dizzy Gillespie et al were demonizing THEMSELVES), or you were confused about the thread of your own writing, and left something out as a typo. Must have been the latter. :)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 2:40 am

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Oh the irony....a "square" was a term coined by the jazz community in the 1940s who thought jazz music was the music of the devil

"It was coined...BY ...the jazz community...who thought jazz music was the music of the devil."

That's like saying "the GOP considers Republicanism to be the work of the Devil".

Were you smoking meth when you typed that statement? It makes zero sense.

The post war Bebop (late forties progressive jazz) community coined the term "square" to mean folks not hip to their music. That part is true.

But the jazz community did not consider their own music to be "the work of the devil". That was what some outsiders thought (and would later think of Elvis and rocknroll).

Either you were confused about the facts (and thought that Dizzy Gillespie et al were demonizing THEMSELVES), or you were confused about the thread of your own writing, and left something out as a typo. Must have been the latter. :)

sorry my bad...the wider (white) population thought jazz music was the music of the devil...

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 11:57 am

"Cretans"

reasoning." --William Blake

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2019, 2:03 pm

When discussing non autistic or “normal” people during discussions about or related to autism I use the word “typical”. The only times I use “neurotypical” or NT is in a place like this. One should only use jargon with peers.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman