Why is self confidence so bad?

Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 11:46 pm

Why do some guys on here run down women who like self confident guys? Why are guys with self confidence who aren't in any way "jerks" called jerks on here? Why is a guy who can and will stand up for his gf or himself if someone is harrassing them seen as bad? Why do those same guys see women as evil or shallow if they prefer a body type or certain looks, when it's perfectly ok for guys to prefer a certain body type or looks?

Also, if women are thought to be the more sensitive and emotional and "weaker" sex, why are there at least twice as many guys on here complaining about how terrible women are because they don't have a gf and the gals who don't have a boyfriend aren't going around starting near as many threads complaining that they don't have a bf?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 12:07 am

If I gave you a sincere answer to the first part of your question, I'd probably get banned based upon how things operate around here.

But as for the second part, I fully believe that for every woman who can't get a man, there are at least 3 or 4 guys who can't get a girlfriend, if not more, so the numbers are exponentially greater, meaning there will be more men complaining about that.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 1:45 am

Probably because many of us guys have been held under the thumb of these "confident guys" too often. :?

It leaves a nasty aftertaste...

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 2:56 am

1-Self confidence isnt bad. What this members complain about is: those that have so much self confidence they start mistreating women.
I dont think this one deserves any further explanation

2- If you look around we actually had the discussion about the looks thing a while ago on one of boo´s threads and they pointed out that the point was to show that we are all equally attracted to certain things(some female members have denied this for quite a long period) and theres nothing wrong with that.

I think its great if someone can take care of their partner and I have yet to see a post criticizing someone that stood up for their partner when they were under attack(feel free to enlighten me though).

3- I direct you to a thread Solvejg created recently about males with as having it harder.
Quite oftenly several of the as traits are overlooked in a woman because they dont show up until later on. But when you are expected to do the approaching most of the times this traits stick out and are usually seen as a red flag of not being a good partner(unsure as to why but if you look at any book on dating the dont´s usually describe someone with issues that are extremely close to what most males with as experience).
This means its harder to find someone and therefore theres a higher number of male members that are single.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 3:11 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Why do some guys on here run down women who like self confident guys? Why are guys with self confidence who aren't in any way "jerks" called jerks on here? Why is a guy who can and will stand up for his gf or himself if someone is harrassing them seen as bad?

Sour grapes.

Quote:
Why do those same guys see women as evil or shallow if they prefer a body type or certain looks, when it's perfectly ok for guys to prefer a certain body type or looks?

Double standards.

Quote:
Also, if women are thought to be the more sensitive and emotional and "weaker" sex, why are there at least twice as many guys on here complaining about how terrible women are because they don't have a gf and the gals who don't have a boyfriend aren't going around starting near as many threads complaining that they don't have a bf?

Lack of insight, only seeing what they want to see.

These things are by no means exclusive to men, although what you mention does happen a lot in this particular subforum.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 3:23 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Why do some guys on here run down women who like self confident guys? Why are guys with self confidence who aren't in any way "jerks" called jerks on here? Why is a guy who can and will stand up for his gf or himself if someone is harrassing them seen as bad? Why do those same guys see women as evil or shallow if they prefer a body type or certain looks, when it's perfectly ok for guys to prefer a certain body type or looks?

When you were younger in high-school/college, did you date the bullies/jocks or the nerds/geeks?

I am not doing off-topic, there's a valid point behind this question.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 3:27 am

It's important not to confuse confidence with someone who is just a self-centered as*hole. Confidence does not need to demean others in order to prop itself up. I am confident in many situations in life but always try to be respectful of others. However, I know men who are so cockey and self important that they think every female in the world exists only to sleep with them. That is different from knowing who you are and being comfortable enough with it to not be second-guessing yourself constantly.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 4:03 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

When you were younger in high-school/college, did you date the bullies/jocks or the nerds/geeks?

Are all females allowed to answer?
I had one boyfriend for a couple of months, and he was a huge social outcast.
Aside from that, I didn't date because noone was interested because they thought I was a freak. I did tend to get crushes on the nerdier boys, though.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 5:24 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

I really dated both types. It just depended on who asked me out and if we got along, and what mood I was in etc.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 5:42 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Why do some guys on here run down women who like self confident guys? Why are guys with self confidence who aren't in any way "jerks" called jerks on here? Why is a guy .....

You do realize that you, I, Hitler and Napoleon are all born on the same day??

The Day of Worldly Conquest
The raw power of the Aries/Taurus cusp personality gone bad is epitomized by none other than Adolph Hitler (April 20).

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 6:46 am

I knew Hitler was but didn't know about Napoleon. Funny thing is, so many people tell me how cool it is that I'm born on 4/20 (national weed day) but I don't smoke weed lol.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 7:09 am

My bad. Napoleon III born 4/20 is the nephew of Bonapart

Still, my astrology book places us as highly ambitious. Also your a dragon by Chinese year 1964 so self confidence is natural for you

I dated an aries dragon. She was a bra model for Bendon, with a huge billboard of her in lingerie, and in all the magazines after we broke up. I had to look at her every time I drove past the billboard.

She ended up in rehab while she was with me. We clashed except for hot drunken sex

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 7:38 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Why do some guys on here run down women who like self confident guys?

Because women are often "over-confident" regardless of what they look like. :roll:

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 7:43 am

I'd say, because a lot of jerk people are, or appear to be, very self confident, so that trait gets a negative association to them, even if being self-confident and assertive are actually great qualities by themselves.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 9:43 am

OliveOilMom wrote:

Because males are self centred and rarely care if a girl thinks otherwise.

I think they envy self-confident guys more so then calling them jerks to hide their own deflated egos.

Ironic since guys and girls on here can be selective when you PM them to be their friend.

And dating bullies? That's...different, as I hate bullies no matter what they are.

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 11:45 am

It's just easier to go to messageboards like this and gripe about it all day long instead of working to become someone who is more attractive.