Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 4:57 pm

hey guys, In my last few post I talk about that I have a learning
disabilitity and I get upset when I see other aspie ( as portait in society)
being gifted and are great at everything. Whither or not I have a LD or not.
I should stop comparing myself to the ''society'' profile of an aspie/hfa
and start looking around to see if Many others struggle at things Like I do.
Look Im not trying to be annoying. Im just trying to see where I fit in.

and see can you be asperger/hfa/pdd-nos and still not be like enistien.
And just be an average joe

I dont know if I have LD or not,But like I said earlie in this post, perhaps
I should ignore societys profile and live to my best ability.

PEACE.
GOD BLESS

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 5:05 pm

You know, you're right... That stereotype of Einstein-like Aspies really isn't very helpful to those with learning disabilities. It's very logical that you would be upset. I myself have ADHD, which when combined with AS, has caused me to be kicked out of college for a low GPA... Learning disabilities on top of that would have meant I couldn't even have gone to college to begin with.

With the definition of AS, though, you do have one thing going for you just because you're an Aspie: Average IQ, at least, or higher; and Aspie obsessions. With those combining, you can become an expert on a subject, whether it's a computer game or a rare species of beetle. Whether you can turn that into what an NT would call success, I don't know; but you can definitely get happiness out of it. I get happiness out of my obsessions... ask anyone around here; that's just the way they are.

But, you know, just because you're not some kind of human computer doesn't mean you don't fit into the Aspie community. You still think the way we do; you still have the same weird neurological wiring; and like about half of us, you have a learning disability.

We do like to brag about the things we can do. It's a way of keeping up self-esteem, reassuring ourselves that yes, we're OK even if we are totally socially clueless. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, even average joe Aspies. You've just made a very perceptive observation that I hadn't even thought about--that's something, right there.

You are now entering Wrong Planet:
Average-joe Aspies welcome.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2006, 5:49 pm

OK Bill, this is a bit "COOL"er.

HEY, I never really had a photographic memory, as I recall. I was never really good in math. I have had fleeting moments of fantastic ability, like knowing how many toothpicks dropped, Solving a VERY complex equation with no effort instantaneously etc... but they were FLEETING! They were often so fantastic that I had to double check anyway. It was nice to know I had been right, but it amounted to nothing. BOTH are things aspies are supposed to sometimes have. I used to have GREAT eyesight, now I don't. I used to be happy, and then I was really depressed. I USED to be VERY optimistic, and then I got very pessimistic!

But HEY! My memory got about as bad as I dared ever have it, but now it is pretty nice. OK, so it isn't photographic. Maybe one day I could access it better. I neve tried to search for random memories while awake. Today I do! So there is always a chance. And today I spent almost the whole day on a natural high! I seemed more lucid, etc... HECK, even driving seemed simpler. Oh yeah, I am more optimistic.

So, I'll look at the good stuff.

Steve

Pyth
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Dec 2006, 7:12 pm

Though I may be high-functioning, and may be described as smart, I don't hate people who aren't.

We all deserve equal rights.

For example, though I can do well in science, english, math, etc., my memory's not al lthat great, not unless I use techniques or tell myself "I will remember that's die on Friday!". My memory isn't photographic or anything either, but generally, I've got my advantages and disadvantages.

We all equal out to having the same basic needs. I also don't like the image of the Einstien-aspie, as I'm not that smart and niether are most people.