Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2012, 6:08 am

I'm wondering if any aspies are able to successfully tell jokes?

I can't. As a consequence of many awful social experiences, I have stoppe dtrying. The worst is wherepeople go into serial joke-swapping mode. In such cases I generally leave because its a matter of time before I become exposed.

On the other hand, I do understand jokes and can have a good laugh at them.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 6:16 am

Nope. I have no skill in this area.

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2012, 6:37 am

Is joke telling failure an aspie thing? I imagine it is.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 6:46 am

I'm good at telling jokes.
I can see how trouble with the delivery might be an AS thing, though.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2012, 7:22 am

Yes, I think it is. What I am trying to do is confirm (from my known behaviours and ways) whether my test scores are accurate reflections of me. I am aspie it appears but are these symptoms evdence of something else and not aspie-ness? The difficulty is in the broadness of the aspie spectrum; its more like a new synonym for 'weirdo'. I am not meaning to be unkind about aspies at all, just tryng to get a grip on this matter. The weirdnesses in myself are stttering, phobia (use of telephones), stims (chewing all the hair of my arms, neck twisting till I did myself serious harm, nail chewing, stretching of arms ... and so on). So, umm ... yes need to change the name of the thread .... :duh: :duh: :duh:

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 7:50 am

Not being able to tell jokes is an aspie thing because it relies heavily on good timing, great knowledge about implied meanings/social nuances as well as a sense of what the other people you are telling it to find funny. I often have problems telling jokes with "build-up" or some sort of background as I tend to not remember all the details of it and will stall the joke thinking of the details. When I use humor, I tend to do it as a short quip or a comeback in response of something going on in the immediate moment. I would imagine, however, that most people on the spectrum would do better with long-winded jokes since they seem to be better at remembering details.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 5:13 pm

my only problem in telling jokes is that i tend to tell them with a straight face.
since most of my humour is situational and based around deliberately misunderstanding things (que british comedy), people around me have a hard time decyphering if i just told a joke or was serious; this has led to many awkward silences...

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2012, 7:25 pm

Interesting. Means that aspies can tell jokes i.e not totally out of the question. In my case attempts to tell jokes ends up with me doing a weirdo routne which is sometimes funny and at other times just downright embarrassing with a 30:70 ratio leaning towards humiliation. :bom:

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 9:38 pm

Can't tell jokes. But sometimes, when I'm not trying, I can make strangely funny play on words which make my kids & kid's friends laugh.

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 6:45 pm

When I used to be manic depressive yes! (I'm starting to think it's true what is said about comedians.)

Looking back I realise how much of a dick I was , do these (most) people realise how disk-ish they are ? And they say where blind!

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 6:51 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
I'm good at telling jokes.
I can see how trouble with the delivery might be an AS thing, though.

Your more sarcastic than humorous , not that theirs anything wrong with that . sarcasm is good

Solvejg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 8:27 pm

I am too good.

Most people don't see my personality from behind my facade of humour. It is a tad annoying but keeps me sane at the same time. I think if people were to see me for who i am then they would run in terror. :lol: I have a really lanky body with weird mannorisms so even simple things like me bopping my head when i walk makes people laugh. I have been told i am a bit like a female john cleese using my body language to make people laugh. :lol:

"mummy, mummy what is a period?"
"shut up kid and eat your tomato soup."

aussiebloke
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 8:37 pm

Solvejg wrote:
I am too good.

Most people don't see my personality from behind my facade of humour. It is a tad annoying but keeps me sane at the same time. I think if people were to see me for who i am then they would run in terror. :lol: I have a really lanky body with weird mannorisms so even simple things like me bopping my head when i walk makes people laugh. I have been told i am a bit like a female john cleese using my body language to make people laugh. :lol:

"mummy, mummy what is a period?"
"shut up kid and eat your tomato soup."

If you did the nazi thing that would make me laugh :wink:

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 10:19 pm

I actually have very little trouble telling jokes, as long as they're short ones. I can't get the timing down on the long, drawn-out "A giraffe and a warthog walk into a bar" kind of joke. The short "Why did the blank do whatever?" are more my speed. And I'm really quick with the snappy comebacks.

I know this doesn't seem to fit the ASPie profile, but I still have the problem with social cues in that I often take things people say literally and as a result have had some confusing and downright embarrassing situations. I can tell jokes because I understand how the joke works and what's funny about it, not my audience's reaction to it.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 11:29 pm

My jokes have a 50% chance of a "critical fail" and only a 10-25% chance of success.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 1:04 am

Webalina wrote:
I actually have very little trouble telling jokes, as long as they're short ones. I can't get the timing down on the long, drawn-out "A giraffe and a warthog walk into a bar" kind of joke. The short "Why did the blank do whatever?" are more my speed. And I'm really quick with the snappy comebacks.

Actually, I can relate to that as well. I'm pretty good with plays on words, and making humorous remarks or sometimes comebacks (which tend to only be funny to certain people - I don't have a mainstream sense of humour), but I could never tell a "story" joke. That's basically what I was thinking of when I first responded to the OP.