Page 5 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 3:04 pm

LKL wrote:
wrt. IQ and ethnicity, it's pretty difficult to say that most groups that have been in America for more than a couple of generations is intellectually inferior due to genetics; most of us are mongrels, 'blacks' and 'whites' included. Jews are rapidly secularizing and integrating into the population as well, and while it may have been true in the past that Jews had some sort of genetic advantage, that will cease to be true within a few hundred years if current trends continue.

It is already happening in the U.S. American Jews marry for love, not according to arranged marriages. About half the Jewish males marry non-Jewish females. Within two generations American Jews will become statistically indistinguishable from the general population.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 3:12 pm

ruveyn wrote:
LKL wrote:
wrt. IQ and ethnicity, it's pretty difficult to say that most groups that have been in America for more than a couple of generations is intellectually inferior due to genetics; most of us are mongrels, 'blacks' and 'whites' included. Jews are rapidly secularizing and integrating into the population as well, and while it may have been true in the past that Jews had some sort of genetic advantage, that will cease to be true within a few hundred years if current trends continue.

It is already happening in the U.S. American Jews marry for love, not according to arranged marriages. About half the Jewish males marry non-Jewish females. Within two generations American Jews will become statistically indistinguishable from the general population.

ruveyn

Amen for mongelism!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 3:24 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Amen for mongelism!

It means a loss of genius, which is not good for the human race in the long run.

And I think you meant to say "mongrelism".

One of the blessings in the Shakhrit (morning service) is: Blessed art thou o lord, ruler of the universe who has not made me to be a gentile. I agree with the sentiment, if not the theology.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 4:33 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Amen for mongelism!

It means a loss of genius, which is not good for the human race in the long run.

And I think you meant to say "mongrelism".

One of the blessings in the Shakhrit (morning service) is: Blessed art thou o lord, ruler of the universe who has not made me to be a gentile. I agree with the sentiment, if not the theology.

ruveyn

Who says you lose out in intelligence with intermixing? The American achievement is living proof of the advantages of being a bunch of mongrels.
And trust me, you are missing out on a lot with your prejudice against gentiles. Thankfully my maternal ancestor who had converted for whatever reason, and whose descendents had married Prussian Lutherans from then on (till my Grandmother married my Grandfather - a Bavarian Catholic), had not seen the rest of humanity in such myopic terms.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Sep 2012, 11:46 am

ruveyn wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

I believe the IQ and test score gap between blacks and whites in America practically vanishes when you account for factors such as poverty and the education of parents. The history of slavery and segregation has meant that historically it was very difficult for African-Americans to do as well as whites, and now the legacy of that means that it is still very hard.

My ancestors were slaves in Egypt. That does not make me one less bit smarter than I am.

The fact is that slavery was legally ended in 1865 (147 years ago) and civil rights have been enforced for the past 48 years.

As Inspect Renault says in -Casablanca-, round up the usual suspects. And I say to you: round up the usual excuses.

ruveyn

I've just checked and I was right, when you control for socio-economic status and the education of parents, there is no difference between blacks and whites in America in terms of academic ability for the first two years of education. A gap begins to appear after two years. However, this disappears when you control for the school attended. There is nothing to indicate that blacks are intrinsically less intelligent than whites.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 12:13 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
The GOP is undergoing a bit of an upheveal.

You have the old crop of socially conservatives but now you have a new mix of people who are advocating for small government and personal freedom. Libertarians are making their voice heard in the party and that's causing some problems.

It's not unlike the split between the Democrats and the Greens, but the libertarian leaning Republicans are trying to change the party instead of leaving.

I think this is it. The party appears to be coming apart at the seams and is fueled by mob mentality and the collective shadow. That's how I see it.

There were times in the past that I voted Republican, but today I wouldn't touch that party or its platforms. I think it's dangerous and likely to either implode or explode. I'm speaking figuratively of course - I hope - and I hope it's the implosion thing, less messy for the rest of us.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 2:02 am

The_Walrus wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

I believe the IQ and test score gap between blacks and whites in America practically vanishes when you account for factors such as poverty and the education of parents. The history of slavery and segregation has meant that historically it was very difficult for African-Americans to do as well as whites, and now the legacy of that means that it is still very hard.

My ancestors were slaves in Egypt. That does not make me one less bit smarter than I am.

The fact is that slavery was legally ended in 1865 (147 years ago) and civil rights have been enforced for the past 48 years.

As Inspect Renault says in -Casablanca-, round up the usual suspects. And I say to you: round up the usual excuses.

ruveyn

I've just checked and I was right, when you control for socio-economic status and the education of parents, there is no difference between blacks and whites in America in terms of academic ability for the first two years of education. A gap begins to appear after two years. However, this disappears when you control for the school attended. There is nothing to indicate that blacks are intrinsically less intelligent than whites.

48 years of semi-enforced equality cannot make up for one population starting out with nothing, in some cases, and close to nothing in others, and the other population having built up its wealth (some of it on the backs of the first population) for a century and a half.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 2:21 am

Fnord wrote:
When Ann Romney addressed the women, both inside and outside the convention, by saying "You are the best of America", I had to cringe at the implication that men are second-best to her. No wonder Mitt is such a wimp.

I'm glad she's not a candidate.

Of course that's what she means-
it couldn't be that she's playing the typical politician's wife/lapdog by saying whatever will boost her husband's chances with voters- in this case, appealing to women despite an enormous gender gap that does not favor his political party when it comes to women, and for good reason.

:lol:

Would you have opposed Reagan as a geographically-ignorant President for describing America as a "city (on a hill)"?

Or Bush as mathematically-ignorant for describing (his perceptions of) terrorist-abetting nations as constituting an "axis of evil", despite their being neither rotating around a fixed line, nor symmetrical?

It's politics. It's rhetorical bullsh*t, already!

to his Interest."

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 3:35 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Fnord wrote:
When Ann Romney addressed the women, both inside and outside the convention, by saying "You are the best of America", I had to cringe at the implication that men are second-best to her. No wonder Mitt is such a wimp.

it couldn't be that she's playing the typical politician's wife/lapdog by saying whatever will boost her husband's chances with voters- in this case, appealing to women despite an enormous gender gap that does not favor his political party when it comes to women, and for good reason.

Would you have opposed Reagan as a geographically-ignorant President for describing America as a "city (on a hill)"?

Or Bush as mathematically-ignorant for describing (his perceptions of) terrorist-abetting nations as constituting an "axis of evil", despite their being neither rotating around a fixed line, nor symmetrical?

The "axis" part was a play on the Axis Powers from WW2 (Germany, Italy, and Japan).

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 5:18 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:
Fnord wrote:

The "axis" part was a play on the Axis Powers from WW2 (Germany, Italy, and Japan).

Exactly- multiple layers of metaphors.

to his Interest."

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 6:19 pm

It wasnt much of an axis of evil in a WWII sense. We attacked one, ignored the second, and made deals with the third.

A case of the speechwriter getting out ahead of national resources.