Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 8:43 am

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2012/08/hbc-90008805
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr5kMguEqi8[/youtube]

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 10:12 am

In the past, the Republican convention attenders were nearly all wealthy white guys in suits, and white women in realtor dresses. They could be called upon to chant in unison at the appropriately staged moments (e.g., "Drill, Baby, Drill!").

Now, they are still nearly all White, but have a lot of Tea Party riff-raff attending the convention.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 10:17 am

When Ann Romney addressed the women, both inside and outside the convention, by saying "You are the best of America", I had to cringe at the implication that men are second-best to her. No wonder Mitt is such a wimp.

I'm glad she's not a candidate.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 10:24 am

The GOP did not really have a Convention. They had a Coronation.

ruveyn

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 10:58 am

The GOP is undergoing a bit of an upheveal.

You have the old crop of socially conservatives but now you have a new mix of people who are advocating for small government and personal freedom. Libertarians are making their voice heard in the party and that's causing some problems.

It's not unlike the split between the Democrats and the Greens, but the libertarian leaning Republicans are trying to change the party instead of leaving.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Aug 2012, 3:23 pm

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Pretty much. Dissent is not tolerated at the modern 'conventions'.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 3:50 pm

Serious, serious miscalculation by the GOP brass. They just went scorched earth on themselves, and it's going to bite them come election time.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 4:28 pm

I'm just glad that we were able to train them to know where they live. That way if they get lost they can tell a police officer.

Are they saying, "kill them now?". wtf. Oh, seat them now.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 5:16 am

Jacoby wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Does that go for the Democratic convention as well?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 10:14 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

For the Democrats, it is an Ordination. Didn't you know the Barak Obama is the Incarnation of God?

ruveyn

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

31 Aug 2012, 10:50 am

simon_says wrote:
I'm just glad that we were able to train them to know where they live. That way if they get lost they can tell a police officer.

It's seat them now. The RNC basically decided to strip Maine of it's delegates because the majority of them were won by Ron Paul and replaced them with an alternate slate of Romney delegates. They did similar things in Louisiana. They also passed a bunch of new rules aimed at stopping Paul supporters in the future. It was all very cowardly and petty on Romney's part and totally unnecessary since he had the delegates to win the nomination on the first ballot regardless. They let Clint Eastwood go out and say whatever he wanted but wouldn't even let Ron in the building. This will not be forgotten come November and beyond.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 11:46 am

Dox47 wrote:
Serious, serious miscalculation by the GOP brass. They just went scorched earth on themselves, and it's going to bite them come election time.

I beg to differ. I think the GOP brass have just handed the Tea Party all the rope that they want, and are going to watch while the Tea Party and the Democrats go picnicking over one another. Good application of game theory if your are in for the long haul, says I.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 1:07 pm

Jacoby wrote:
simon_says wrote:

It's seat them now. The RNC basically decided to strip Maine of it's delegates because the majority of them were won by Ron Paul and replaced them with an alternate slate of Romney delegates. They did similar things in Louisiana. They also passed a bunch of new rules aimed at stopping Paul supporters in the future. It was all very cowardly and petty on Romney's part and totally unnecessary since he had the delegates to win the nomination on the first ballot regardless. They let Clint Eastwood go out and say whatever he wanted but wouldn't even let Ron in the building. This will not be forgotten come November and beyond.

Yes. But it's nothing new.

They just tried to expand early voting hours in Republican counties in Ohio and restrict them in Democratic counties. It was reversed by the secretary of state after an outcry. They have a ruthless machine designed to maximize their own votes and supress any other kind. They'll restrict voting hours, purge voter rolls, pass voter ID laws, attack registration efforts, etc. All part of the GOP toolkit to keep the unwashed poor away from the voting booth.

I think it's because historically (for most of the 20th century), the GOP was outnumbered by Democrats. They relied on turnout (and suppression) to even things up and their political machine still thinks that way despite the raw numbers being close to even now.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 12:38 am

ruveyn wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

For the Democrats, it is an Ordination. Didn't you know the Barak Obama is the Incarnation of God?

ruveyn

Whatever. :roll: Your Obama derangement syndrome never grows old does it? You should just be happy we didn't get a real liberal in 2008.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 2:03 am

ruveyn wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

ruveyn

Realistically, any sitting president who's been challenged at his own party's convention has always lost. Think of how Jimmy Carter had to put up with Ted Kennedy's challenge, while Bush number one had to face Pat Buchanan at the Republican convention. I think the Democrats realize that unless they line up behind Obama, they're sure to lose.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 2:58 am

visagrunt wrote:
I beg to differ. I think the GOP brass have just handed the Tea Party all the rope that they want, and are going to watch while the Tea Party and the Democrats go picnicking over one another. Good application of game theory if your are in for the long haul, says I.

I wasn't talking about the Tea Party, I was talking about what went on with the Paul delegates, and how in my estimation Romney really can't win without drawing in some non-traditional GOP voters. Maybe he couldn't have outright won their votes, but by spitting on them the way he did he's made enemies he didn't need to, and I think that's going to cost him come November.