Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 11:02 am

today the train station i felt like crap because i was standing next too a lot of guys who a lot taller than me. it made me feel angry, worried and insecure. in my head i feel like "what is wrong with me why are so many people taller than me"

on days i feel tall i feel happy and relaxed and on days when i feel small i am grumpy and irritable.

how can i get over this mental problem that i have related too my height? is this aspergers related? its really holding me back from getting on with my life :(

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 11:05 am

Interesting. How tall are you?
Edit: If that's okay to ask.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 11:20 am

okay okay i am roughly around 5ft10. i know what u are going too say " its not short its a good height" but that is besides the point.

i just want too know is how i can develop coping methods when being around a lot of taller guys. its just as worse as well when i have too be around girls who look down at me when there in heels :(

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 12:29 pm

I am 5'4" (5'7" in heels, but I don't wear heels much). I like men I can look up to, but who don't look down on me. :) 5'10" to 6' is just about right. I find very tall men unattractive.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 1:00 pm

thats still not going too help me get over my feeling of inferiority.

LadybugS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Aug 2012, 2:08 pm

5'10" is not short. Have you been fixated on your height for a long time?

There will always be people who are taller than you, and there's nothing you can do about that. It doesn't mean that anything is wrong with you or your height. It is just the facts of reality.

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough... God knows we're worth it"

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 2:33 pm

Being short (5'3.5") myself, I know how embarrassing it can be. Everyone I work with likes to use my head as an arm rest or joke about me being a good Ottoman (the furniture, not a member of the Empire).

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 2:50 pm

I have been fixated on my height since 2002.

Does that mean the fixation will never go away?

Also its not just about people being taller than me its when i have these funny days when i feel taller than other which i really dislike.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 2:54 pm

LadybugS wrote:
5'10" is not short. Have you been fixated on your height for a long time?

There will always be people who are taller than you, and there's nothing you can do about that. It doesn't mean that anything is wrong with you or your height. It is just the facts of reality.

I have been fixated on my height since 2002. Does that mean the fixation will never go away? Maybe its a bit of an OCD obssession?

Also its not just about people being taller than me its when i have these funny days when i feel taller than other which i really dislike. and the facts are is that society favours taller men more than shorter males. in general taller people are looked upon as being superior. its more when i see A LOT of guys at the same time are bigger than me then i start too feel very insecure and nervous

i think though its got too the point where i have become obssessive about having too feel tall and if i am having one of those days when i don't feel as tall as usual i just shutdown. sucks :(

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 3:01 pm

Work out and bulk up really good so that even if they are taller than you, you are bigger than them. Good muscles are much more impressive than height.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 3:13 pm

I hate to make light of your problem, but I just keep thinking Alice in Wonderland. It'd be great for you if on the too short days, you could eat a cake and grow and on the too tall days, you could drink something and shrink.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 3:22 pm

OP: Maybe you should stop thinking about this idea as an "aspie" thing or an "OCD" thing because this is an insecurity that any guy - disorder or not - can have. You are not the only one who thinks this way because there is such pressure on guys to look a certian way, both from the media and certian peer groups. If a girl is shallow, things like height will make a huge difference to her. You. however, probably want a girl who is not shallow and will love you for all of your quirks and your personality, and if she does love you, height will not matter to her.

A lot of guys tend to make generalizations like this (i.e. girls only want tall guys). Girls like a wide variety of guys, and you don't have to fit into a specific mold to be valued by someone. Try to not allow yourself to go there. I compare myself a lot to others too, and once I realize that I'm not the only insecure one and other people comapre themselves to others too, I don't feel so alienated and feel more normal (whatever that is).

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 3:32 pm

Well i think i do have this anal habit of wanting too feel tall everyday and can't stand days when i feel shorter than usual.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 3:37 pm

I know the feeling. I was 5ft 2 when I started Jr. High at the age of 13. The majority of my peers, both male and female were 5ft 6 or taller. I kept praying to God that I would be taller than 5ft 2 when I grew up and it happened. I grew up to be 5 ft 8. That to me was a miracle.