Linux - help: dual boot system versus Ubuntu only + WINE ???

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

betrayedbymyown
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2012, 9:13 pm

i want to make the switch from evil windows (xp) over to linux (ubuntu) but i'm a bit scared of stuffing it up, so i need advice as to which road to go down in the first place, and then on how not to stuff up once i've decided which way to go. i have an ubuntu cd burned ready to go.

option 1 - dual boot system, so i primarily use linux, but can boot up windows for specific apps/games that won't run on linux.

i've heard horror stories about dual boot systems being very difficult to set up, and stuff can go badly wrong, but if all that's not true, then this option would be simplest and best.

option 2 - linux only, no windows at all, but install WINE so i can run at least some windows apps/games.

the trouble with this option is evaluating exactly what i'm going to lose the ability to do with the switch. the WINE database is useful here, and when i looked up my favourite games that i've paid a little money for, i saw that they work well under WINE. but then i have the issue of printing/getting the printer to work. i have successfully printed from Linux via booting with the live cd, but as far as maintenance goes, the only way to check the ink status is to take the cartridges out of the printer and shake them to listen how much ink is left. it would be a challenging task to test the printer software under WINE, given that my CD drive is already taken by the live CD, but i did manage to install the printer stuff on my CD-less netbook by copying via a flash stick, so it won't be impossible. i think that's about all; i don't care about my old ms access 2000 crap, and i think evernote has or will have linux software... so it's really just about the printer, and buying a different printer is an option anyway, possibly one that i can connect to the tablet and other mobile devices.

so, those are the two options. i think i'd prefer to take the leap of faith into the second option and lose windoze altogether, but it would probably be best to go the first option at this stage if it won't be too problematic to set up dual boot. what should i do?

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Aug 2012, 9:42 pm

Id keep windows and dual boot if I were you. Its not particularly difficult to set up, you should be able to do the setup easily from the ubuntu installer (Might want to have a second computer available so you can look up stuff though) Even if something gets screwed up, which I dont think happens all that often, it should be fixable relatively easily with the windows install disk, assuming you still have it. Theres a lot of programs WINE cant run, and even those it does run it runs a lot slower than if it was just being run on windows, or a proper linux version. And from what Ive heard, installing windows after linux, rather than the other way around, can be way more difficult and is more likely to cause problems (Im not sure why, thats just what Ive always read).

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 11:13 pm

Personally, I would go with option #3: use "VMware player" or "VirtualBox."

That way, you get have your linux computer in a window on your Windows desktop. It basically lets you have 2 operating systems working at the same time. And it's (VMW Player) a normal windows app, so there's no dangerous bootloader or other modifications involved. It's a really slick solution. I use VMW Player (with Win7 hosting Ubuntu 12.04) and have been pleased with it.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 11:52 pm

My main OS is Windows 8 but I also have Ubuntu 12.04 on a USB stick from which I can boot. Works well, but changes made to the stick doesn't remain. Still, if I really wanted a dual boot system, I'd partition my main HD.

betrayedbymyown
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Aug 2012, 9:45 am

i can't go option 3. the idea is that i want a linux machine and to not use windoze anymore, any more than i have to. i'm trying to get away from windows. it will be primarily a linux machine, but with the option to go into windows for specific things such as printer maintenance, games, and... i think that's all.

i should have the windows CD lying around somewhere. i have the tablet (plus phone and ipod) that i can access the internet to look stuff up, not a problem.

it must have been the windows-after-linux that had the horror stories when i read up on this ages ago. but now i'm not finding any bad stories with relation to partitioning windows to put a linux partition in.

i had heard that i have to zero fill the hard drive before installing linux - well from what i've read lately, windows has already done that, so it's right to go.

so yeah, i think i'll go option 1, dual boot. just need to find my windows CD, finish backing up to flash sticks, do a defrag i suppose, then i suppose i can give it a go.

donryanocero
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Aug 2012, 10:33 am

I find that I never use the windows side when I dual boot.

I recommend option 3b: run windows in virtual box on your linux system. Your printer should be fine under VB, and you don't have to reboot to check your ink level. :-P This is how I load music on my iphone.

Try xubuntu over ubuntu. ships with XFCE instead of bloated and slower gnome, but otherwise pretty much the same.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 12:32 pm

I'm not really a fan of the 'buntu distros at this point, but one good thing about them is that you can set them up to run on a virtual FS on top of NTFS, which is an easy and safe way to setup a dual boot system. --The downside is that you take a slight hit in performance which is very noticable when running windows apps under WINE.

Try this approach for at least a few months if you're unsure about Linux. The install can be easily removed by booting back into Windows, and then uninstalling via 'Add/Remove Programs'.

Conversely, if you decide to an actual full install of Linux, back all of your important files, and install the distro of your choice. Personally, I would suggest SolusOS is a much better distro than any of the current 'buntu releases, as it's a respin of Debian Stable with that has been optimised for desktop/multimedia usage.

betrayedbymyown
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2012, 10:28 am

so is "virtual box" an alternative to WINE? is option 3b the reverse of 3a? i.e. windows running a virtual linux versus linux running a virtual windows? the latter option might be a goer, since the idea is that i am trying to get away from windoze, not remain dependent on it.

the easiest way to check the ink level (from linux) is, when the printer flashes its red light, just take out the cartridges and shake them, then replace the emptiest one. i have no problem doing that. other maintenance tasks are so infrequent that i'd have no problem rebooting to windows occasionally to do them. but somwhere down the line, i'd probably get a new linux-compatible printer anyway.

i'm going ubuntu at this point because that is the cd i have burned ready to go. but i can always switch distros. however, i do have tonnes of internet left this month to download another distro, so maybe i should do that.

i probably should do some independent reading before i take in too much more advice, just been busy with other stuff.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 10:55 am

betrayedbymyown wrote:
so is "virtual box" an alternative to WINE? is option 3b the reverse of 3a? i.e. windows running a virtual linux versus linux running a virtual windows? the latter option might be a goer, since the idea is that i am trying to get away from windoze, not remain dependent on it.

Virtualbox is a VM machine, which is to say that it emulates x86 computer on top of your already existing system. VM's tend to use a lot of memory due to the fact that the VM runs your choice of OS in the VM environment plus whatever programs that you are running in that environment. Even though VM's use a lot of memory rescources, they tend to operate at nearly the speed of your CPU.

WINE, is a translation layer that tranlates Windows system calls and functions to *NIX system calls and functions, and then translates the *NIX system calls and functions back to Windows system calls and functions enabling you to use Windows programs on a *NIX system. Conversely, Windows programs run in WINE tend to run somewhat slower than they would running natively in Windows, or in Windows on a VM due to the fact that WINE is translating Windows instructions to *NIX functions and vice versa.

Hermes9

31 Aug 2012, 10:48 pm

donryanocero wrote:
Try xubuntu over ubuntu. ships with XFCE instead of bloated and slower gnome, but otherwise pretty much the same.

Yes! Xubuntu is awesome, and gets more awesome with every release. I couldn't imagine running gnome again... :)

jekenai

03 Sep 2012, 5:42 pm

dual boot is perfectly ok, it's very simple to do that, i have triple boot now, the only problem can be with bootloader, it's easier to install windows first, if you install linux first, you need to restore bootloader after installing windows

wine and speed: it depends, sometimes applications under wine are faster then natively, usually a bit slower i think, sometimes can be a lot slower

betrayedbymyown
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2012, 10:39 am

i'll just do dual boot, or is that duel boot? should linux throw down his dueling gloves? i don't think i need to worry about WINE or virtual box, i'm quite happy to boot into windows occasionally for printer maintenance or certain games or whatever.

plan A is as i've read in here and linked pages, so i
1. find my windows cd, i think i have one lying around
2. back up files, delete unnecessary files, do a defrag
3. shrink the windows partition and reboot into windows once
4. install ubuntu, making the linux partition then

in the event that it all stuffs up (which is why the windows cd is needed) then i go to plan B, which is to start from scratch with a fresh windows install, as shown in this apparently english-second-language blog. all through the process, i have my tablet with which to refer to the interwebs, and failing that, a smart phone or an ipod on wifi.

i might do a little more reading tomorrow to possibly pick up some finer points, and actually get started on plan A next week.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 11:53 am

The only use I make of Windows is in updating firmware, but it does remain the ONLY method for some manufacturer's products (e.g. some MP3, NAS storage). So if you have at least one Windows native boot (Wine doesn't handle some firmware updates), then you retain that ability. Thankfully, most manufacturers are moving towards the file-on-a-stick update that no longer requires booting Windows / DOS.

Every other function can be replicated or replaced with Linux software.

amboxer21
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2012, 12:45 pm

I bought a seperate hard drive. 250GiGs for $50. So I have Linux on one HDD and Windows for the other. I never used windows for anything but iTunes(for my itouch) but now I have a new found love for the OS. I use it to burn games for my PS2.

But yeah, just buy a new HDD. If you do not partition your HDD right, then you could mess your window OS up! Be careful!

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2012, 1:56 pm

betrayedbymyown wrote:
i want to make the switch from evil windows (xp) over to linux (ubuntu) but i'm a bit scared of stuffing it up, so i need advice as to which road to go down in the first place, and then on how not to stuff up once i've decided which way to go. i have an ubuntu cd burned ready to go.

option 1 - dual boot system, so i primarily use linux, but can boot up windows for specific apps/games that won't run on linux.

i've heard horror stories about dual boot systems being very difficult to set up, and stuff can go badly wrong, but if all that's not true, then this option would be simplest and best.

option 2 - linux only, no windows at all, but install WINE so i can run at least some windows apps/games.

the trouble with this option is evaluating exactly what i'm going to lose the ability to do with the switch. the WINE database is useful here, and when i looked up my favourite games that i've paid a little money for, i saw that they work well under WINE. but then i have the issue of printing/getting the printer to work. i have successfully printed from Linux via booting with the live cd, but as far as maintenance goes, the only way to check the ink status is to take the cartridges out of the printer and shake them to listen how much ink is left. it would be a challenging task to test the printer software under WINE, given that my CD drive is already taken by the live CD, but i did manage to install the printer stuff on my CD-less netbook by copying via a flash stick, so it won't be impossible. i think that's about all; i don't care about my old ms access 2000 crap, and i think evernote has or will have linux software... so it's really just about the printer, and buying a different printer is an option anyway, possibly one that i can connect to the tablet and other mobile devices.

so, those are the two options. i think i'd prefer to take the leap of faith into the second option and lose windoze altogether, but it would probably be best to go the first option at this stage if it won't be too problematic to set up dual boot. what should i do?

Virtual machines are probably not that what you want. With Virtualbox you will have performance problems, most likely.

Wine is updated a lot for gaming. But it is quite a work to install the updates and get the games running. (A former work colleague used to do this)
There is an Ubuntu package called playonlinux. Maybe that is easier to use with games inside Linux.

To have a dual boot is the easiest thing. And you can additionally install wine or playonlinux in the linux system.

Office doesnt work properly in wine or playonlinux. For that I use a virtual machine (Virtualbox)

betrayedbymyown
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2012, 5:29 am

toucan boxer, don't worry, i will partition the drive just right - this is why i'm taking so long to get around to making the switch! my understanding is that, if i F it up, i just start from scratch with the windows cd (which i found, plus a little instruction manual). there are links in my previous post which are hard to find because this forum has silly style (hyperlinks indistinguishable from normal text) but they very thoroughly describe the steps to partitioning the drive for dual boot.

onks, my office is ancient, 2000. the only thing it's good for is if i want access 2000 for nostalgia, which i don't really, i preferred access 97 because at least it worked properly. linux has open office which can read all the word and excell crap anyway.

i have a plan to do the switch this week, but i am moving house/skipping town in two weeks, so that takes priority if i can't manage both at once.