Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MusicalCat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2012, 9:14 pm

Alright, I happen to be posting while the GOP convention is going on tonight. I have trouble with finding my political personality and persuasions on the issues today. Other than that, I have vague convictions that most of my persuasions align with conservative republican. However I don't feel I have them strong enough and want to learn how to develop my political 'personality.' Thank you.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 9:17 pm

Have you thought about taking a politics test?

MusicalCat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2012, 9:20 pm

How do I answer questions on Political compass? Besides, I haven't developed opinions on a couple of whatever is covered there yet.

slaraka
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2012, 9:28 pm

You feel your positions aren't strong enough? I don't feel as though positions are actively changed, rather they reflect your opinions and if they just happen to be lukewarm attempting to develop them into something more than they are makes them less your own. I agree that a politics test might help you to identify your political standing better, a good test may find you questioning things you have previously not given enough thought about (that's what one did for me awhile ago.) Your opinions are somewhat towards conservative republican but are you do not feel you best identify with that party because of the strength of them? Another opinion of mine is to avoid examining what a political party views as something that your views should better align with. Again this is an opinion but I feel as though my independence from parties allows me to examine politics with a level of skepticism that aligning with a party dictates away.

Try searching "Who I side with" or "I side with" on a search engine, I think you'll find the quiz I took not too long ago, it examines your beliefs with the beliefs they infer from the presidential candidates, I then examines some of their philosophies and histories with a little more detail to see what I understood. There is another quiz somewhere that I forget the name of that creates 2d chart, liberal vs conservative on one axis, and authoritarian vs libertarian (I think) on the other axis. It also attempts to plot some notable historical figures for you to examine.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 9:34 pm

I was thinking something like this, MusicalCat?

http://www.politicalcompass.org/

Just tick the boxes on the test.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2015, 3:20 pm

I have this philosophy; you don't tell me how to run my life because I know what is best for me and I take it for granted that you know best on how to run your own life and I'll not tell you how you should run it. I guess this is more of a Libertarian viewpoint. Some of my stances align with the liberal point of view while some of my stances align with the conservative point of view.