Is this the standard Aspie reaction to alcohol?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 4:51 pm

First of all, how much I can drink varies greatly. Sometimes I drink a sip of wine and feel dizzy, sometimes I can drink and drink and drink and don't feel a thing.

When I'm drunk however, I noticed that I don't react like pretty much all NTs (who will get silly, or agressive, or just embarassing). All I feel is the physical effects, like nausea and vertigo, but it doesn't affect my judgement or logical thinking AT ALL. I feel as mentally clear and responsible as always. Hell, I could probably solve a complex equation, if the numbers hold still long enough. And I stay that way until I pass out. :D

Well, there's a little exception; when I feel the first little signs of drunkenness (is that a word?) I tend to get "happy" and laugh more than usual. But that quickly fades and then I'm at my normal mental state again.

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 4:54 pm

I relate to the first thing you said. It's the same thing with me. The last, maybe because of an irrational buzz you get from everything else than the alcohol? I don't know.

tropicalcows
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Aug 2012, 5:00 pm

I get dizzy, then experience a panic attack. It's not fun for me at all.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 5:05 pm

Alcohol pretty much turns me into an "NT" and it's pretty much the liquid courage/social lubricant, but my only problem with it, is the sorta "lack of control" I feel with it. It turns my already crappy filters off.

For me, I hate pot. It's not relaxing at all to me, it just makes me feel dumb and incompetent (I lost debates I could easily have slaughtered the person in if I wasn't high), but without the courage inducing/lack of anxiety alcohol gives me. Pot just slows my thinking. That's why I like caffeine/stims so much, they just make me me, but better.

BottleCap
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 5:31 pm

Alcohol gives me social powers. I can actually find myself talking and not even worry about what I said either. It makes my head feel weird and whatever else being drunk does. I just have to be careful not to go too far, but at least I'm still a bit aware of that when drunk.
However, a few times, it didn't help much and it made me have a nervous breakdown.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 5:36 pm

im like that till I get really drunk.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 8:24 pm

I like alcohol, too. Probably one of the reasons I don't do social is there's no drinking. Of course, if there was drinking, I'd be driving afterwards which puts me in a precarious position.

ShamelessGit
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 8:45 pm

Underscore wrote:
I relate to the first thing you said. It's the same thing with me. The last, maybe because of an irrational buzz you get from everything else than the alcohol? I don't know.
Did you draw that picture that is your profile picture? That would be pretty awesome if you did.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 8:49 pm

I experience a heightening of senses even drinking the tinniest amounts of alcohol, clumsiness gets much worse, makes me think differently but has none of the socializing effects or general pleasure from it.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 9:51 pm

I've discovered recently that I hate the feeling of being drunk. I become uninhibited and my social awareness will shut down: when this has happened in the past, I have did and said things that I've really regretted. I often become dizzy and think negatively to the point where I've melted down countless times. The last time I got drunk, I told myself I wouldn't go there again...and I've kept my word. :)

I do, however, really like the feeling of being buzzed and relaxed after a couple of drinks. I become pretty social and chatty when this happens, as my confidence goes up and my social awareness is still intact.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 10:24 pm

I get very loud and boisterous, happy/silly. Though I don't think I get "more neurotypical" when drunk, just less inhibited.

ScottC
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Aug 2012, 11:54 pm

After I have the first drink I feel really normal and social, and that 'barrier' to everyone disappears...but I've been told me this is just my perception not reality, and my wife says i'm missing the social cues even more, and I get really obnoxious. Then I drink until I fall over.... does feels great for about 30mins but just not worth the damage, I joined the 12steppers last year.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 12:42 am

The closest I've come to feeling NT was actually the drunkest I've ever been, at a party. I'd consumed a 40, lost a game of beer pong, and had two regular beers over 3 hours which might have gotten my BAC as high as 0.20%! I was actually shooting the s**t with random people as much as a NT at a party, minus the learning of names.

Unfortunately, this resulted in waking up with vomit on my bed with no memory of vomiting, and a hangover lasting 3/4 of the day. Nowadays I will not exceed 0.12%-0.15% (5-6 drinks plus one per 90 minutes since starting) depending on how I feel, so that something like this doesn't happen again. And anytime I go over 0.10% I make sure to drink lots of water before going to bed. Every time, that has greatly reduced or eliminated the hangover.

Usually I don't get any increased social confidence or impaired judgment until I'm too drunk to drive, so I can relate to the OP. Fortunately for when my judgment IS impaired, it's so obvious that I shouldn't drive that I still don't.

This may belong in the adult section, due to discussion of alcohol...

AQ: 33

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 1:04 am

I become physically ill when I drink alkyhol, so I avoid drinking alkyhol. It definitely doesn't make me moar NT. It just makes me ill, and my head pounds, and my brrrainzzz stop working.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 1:33 am

You're better off without it. I used the stuff for years to relax social barriers. That worked, until it didn't. The cost to exit was not worth admission.

EQ: 6.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 1:42 am

I never touched alcohol until I was 27 and trying to fit in better. However, it didn't work and all it left me was hung over and sick to my stomach. I never lost much, if any, of my analytical side and it didn't make me more social. I did use it as an excuse to do things I normally wouldn't a few times, but I was never out of control unless I was bordering on alcohol poisoning. Even then, I still retained my analytical nature. Around 34 I decided to stop drinking and haven't looked back since. After all, it had no positive effects and all it left me was a little lighter in the wallet.