Is this the standard Aspie reaction to alcohol?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 3:35 am

I, too get dizzy and actually get a good night sleep.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjuB4 ... WnSA552Xjg

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 4:52 am

I hardly drink at all. After about half a glass of wine, I start to feel the physical effects, which I don't really enjoy. Any time that I have had quite a lot to drink and felt physically drunk, I've still felt compos mentis. I've never said anything embarrassing (nothing that I wouldn't have said had I not been drinking) or done anything 'stupid'. I've always been completely aware of my words and actions. I might speak a bit more than usual, but I've never said anything that I've regretted later. That said, if I felt I was losing it, I would stop drinking anyway and start on the water.

As for sleep, I never feel drowsy after drinking, in fact, I feel completely stimulated and can be awake until the sun is rising.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 5:02 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
I hardly drink at all...
Same here; this just happens after the 'occasional sip'.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjuB4 ... WnSA552Xjg

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 6:29 am

ShamelessGit wrote:
Underscore wrote:
I relate to the first thing you said. It's the same thing with me. The last, maybe because of an irrational buzz you get from everything else than the alcohol? I don't know.
Did you draw that picture that is your profile picture? That would be pretty awesome if you did.

It would be extremely awesome. I'm I afraid I didn't, though. Maybe I'll try it out sometime.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 6:52 am

I can't stand the taste of alcohol, but I do like how it makes me very outgoing and like an NT. It also gives me confidence, which I sorely lack in my life and lowers my inhibitions so I don't over-think anything. Still, I'm able to think clearly and have no problems realizing I'm in no condition to drive, etc.

A_floating_moon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Aug 2012, 7:33 am

This thread makes me want to try alcohol. I have never really experienced real socializing with a group of non-relatives. I've always been too afraid to even say much to anyone vocally. At this point in my life, I'm a little fed up with it. There was an event I went to a couple weeks ago with my mom and this guy came up and started talking to us. I looked up at him occasionally..I think.. and I said a few words..hopefully loud enough that I didn't look ret*d. I can hardly imagine how someone could just freely speak to someone else that they don't know... People like that must just feel so completely different from the way I feel.

So, I was thinking... What if I tried drinking? I've never had more than a tiny glass of wine or a couple wine coolers. I never felt any affect from drinking them other than dehydration from the small amounts I drank. I think I was running to the bathroom every half hour for a while... I'm kind of afraid to try 'really' drinking.... And I've only seen someone drunk once in my life...

My assumption has always been that alcohol would only make me feel sick... But... Would it be worth it to try once... :?: Maybe I could stay in my room with a bottle of alcohol and try skyping with people.

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Aug 2012, 7:45 am

I think "standard Aspie" is a bit oxymoronic. Aside from that, everyone reacts a bit differently to alcohol in the first place, so the question isn't really germane to a specific condition.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 8:19 am

A_floating_moon wrote:
And I've only seen someone drunk once in my life...
Really? Where do you stay? If I went to the town centre here, any day, any time of day, I could guarantee I'd see at least one person who has had a bit too much to drink.

Anyway, just be careful if you start experimenting with alcohol. It's relatively easy to develop a dependance. I've seen it happen to family members, one of whom was doing it for the same reasons you've indicated. He has recovered well, but he almost took his own life at one point, because the drinking had taken over. Keep to limits and you should be fine.

abyssquick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2012, 8:45 am

Alcohol is hit-or-miss. It's a social lubricant, in that it makes me talk for hours about my interests, regardless of whether the people around me are interested. It can make me gregarious and jolly - but depending on what's occurring in my life it can also bring out anxiety, frustration, and can make me fearful and standoffish. I've had as many good times as I have bad times, thanks to alcohol. But the "lows" really aren't worth it. They eclipse the positive experiences by far - for me, alcohol is a low disguised as a high. I wish it didn't have the negative effect on me, because the happy part is quite enjoyable. Just not worth it.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 10:56 am

Comp_Geek_573 wrote:
And anytime I go over 0.10% I make sure to drink lots of water before going to bed. Every time, that has greatly reduced or eliminated the hangover.

"Did you know that having a hangover is not having enough water in your body to run your Krebs cycles, which is exactly what happens to you when you're dying of thirst? So, dying of thirst would probably feel pretty much like the hangover that finally bloody kills you."

^ The wisdom of A Beautiful Mind. :lol:

Anyway, I've never had alcohol, and I never want to try it. The biggest reason why I don't want to try alcohol is because there is an extremely high amount of alcoholism in my family. The bad genetics combined with my extremely high obsessive-compulsiveness (both from AS and OCD) don't bode well, if you ask me... Next biggest reason is it scares me to think I could "lose control" of my actions. I NEED control and sameness to function, and I just can't even imagine the horrors of waking up and not knowing what you said and did. Scares me to death! 8O

Nash: Is there a difference?

AlreadyAgain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2012, 11:54 am

Sanctus wrote:
First of all, how much I can drink varies greatly. Sometimes I drink a sip of wine and feel dizzy, sometimes I can drink and drink and drink and don't feel a thing.

When I'm drunk however, I noticed that I don't react like pretty much all NTs (who will get silly, or agressive, or just embarassing). All I feel is the physical effects, like nausea and vertigo, but it doesn't affect my judgement or logical thinking AT ALL. I feel as mentally clear and responsible as always. Hell, I could probably solve a complex equation, if the numbers hold still long enough. And I stay that way until I pass out. :D

Well, there's a little exception; when I feel the first little signs of drunkenness (is that a word?) I tend to get "happy" and laugh more than usual. But that quickly fades and then I'm at my normal mental state again.

Exactly the same for me. I'm often called the "responsible drunk" when I drink with people I know. I'm always the voice of reason no matter how much I drink. I do get silly, but if something serious were to arise, I could easily handle the situation. I know I've stopped people from driving drunk and stopped fights from happening. I've done more "serious" things as well when it comes to chemical alterations of the mind and still I am able to keep a level head.

Kindertotenlieder79
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Aug 2012, 5:41 pm

I haven't been drunk since I was 19, but from what I remember my guard came down a bit. I could be a bit more chatty, but not too much. My sense of right and wrong was "relaxed" i.e. I'd smoke other people's cigarettes without asking their permission, I tried to rip a part of a banister off a stairwell one night - I have a thing for 19th Victorian Architecture. I was still ackward and quite analytical. A friend of mine from college referred to me as an intelligent drunk, as in my speech patterns were not affected significantly by the booze. I can recall being asked if I drank one time . . . and I was drunk at the time.

Domisoldo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Aug 2012, 6:04 pm

I like drinking quality stuff, for the taste and for the relaxing effect, but unless I truly greatly exaggerate, I never feel drunk. I've learned to be careful how much I drink, because even when I don't feel drunk at all, my liver might not be able to take it and I'll be sick the day after... Very annoying.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

31 Aug 2012, 6:05 pm

I alwaya pass out after, like, one or two drinks. Assuming it's only alcohol. No, I prefer alcoholic energy drinks. Calms me down and makes me really social.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 12:50 am

Never touched a drop of the stuff, never will.

I've always wondered WHY anyone ever drinks that stuff as it is. Alchohol has no positives: It's a drink that literally makes you slower and dumber while it's effect is active. Why in the heck anyone would ever voluntarily want to drink something that makes them stupider, I'll never, ever know. I dont WANT to know, either, frankly.

SickInDaHead
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Sep 2012, 12:54 am

I have written computer programs while drunk and they worked.