Do you like sharing food with others?

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

tjr1243
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2012, 8:40 pm

One of my pet peeves is having to share food when in the presence of others. For example, at the movies if i bring a snack, I feel compelled to pass my bag of candy to whoever i'm seeing the movie with. To not do so, i feel impolite and selfish :(

Another example is when eating at a restaurant. Have you ever eaten with people who feel compelled to taste your food?

Or if snacking in the presence of others or even at home. i get afraid someone will ask for a bit of what i'm eating (i have a pretty hearty appetite and like the food all to myself...i know this sounds selfish :( ....but food is one thing i do not like sharing w/ others!!

To solve this problem, i have to not eat or drink in front of others. i've had people ask for a taste of my drink....argh!! Has this ever happened to you? :) 8O

Do you like sharing food with others?

Is it an aspie thing to be somewhat possessive about food? :)

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 8:44 pm

I hate sharing my food. As a child I would eat with my arm around my plate (or lunch box) and slightly hunched over it so no one could steal my food.

It's my food.

Canaspie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 8:46 pm

I can't remember the last time I was asked to share my food.

And I would never offer to share - not even if I was in the sort of situations you described

Petrassi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Aug 2012, 9:00 pm

If sharing is caring, then I don't care.

I'm sure you're familiar with Joey from "Friends"? Ya that's me. I loathe sharing food immensely, not an avid fan of sharing in general to be honest, but food especially.

Parasol
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 10:17 pm

I'm okayish with sharing food with others like my friends. However, if some people I barely know about ask for food, I tell them no. It is usually snacks I share with other people though. I even split meals with my mom because it is cheaper. It's just me though.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

30 Aug 2012, 10:26 pm

I only feed those I know. Everyone else can get their own food. :lol:

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 10:27 pm

it all depends on what im eating. if its like chips or something sure whatever but if they want to take a bite out of my sandwich thats a no go.

JesseCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Aug 2012, 10:28 pm

Same here.
I do not eat in front of people for this reason.
In school I always skipped lunch and went to the library. I can easily go a day or two without eating.

Not to mention the hygiene issue.
Do not put your fingers or mouth near my food.
I don't know where the heck you have been. Get your own!

And I literally plan out everything I do eat. I follow a strict paleo diet for health reasons.
It's part of my OCD/routine/need for ritual.
If people decide to eat my food and touch it I get a burning anger sensation and I am upset the rest of the day.
It's irrational and silly but I can't help it.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 10:30 pm

I don't mind, but I won't let someone have a bite of my sandwich or eat off my fork or put their used fork in my food if I know their mouth isn't clean.

My husband NEVER brushes his teeth (and won't no matter how much I ask/nag/tell him to, etc - I haven't kissed him in over a decade!) so I will NOT let him bite my sandwich nor will I let him put a fork or spoon thats been in his mouth in my food. My mother never brushed either and it was so bad that she had to have her teeth pulled when she was 42, and she doesn't take care of her dentures either so she's out of the question. My youngest son isn't that great at brushing every day either but at least he knows he should and tries to remember.

I have one friend who I'm pretty sure has some kind of STD so I never eat after her.

Otherwise, I don't mind sharing at all. In fact, I offer.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 10:45 pm

Call me selfish, but I hate sharing my food!

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 11:16 pm

It's not selfish unless you're hoarding food when others are hungry. If there's enough food to go around, it's a personality quirk, so don't feel bad about it.

Bringing food is one of the ways I express friendship. I've learned that you really can't go wrong with offering food to people around college age, especially guys. At the very worst, it'll go uneaten--I don't think it's possible to insult anybody by bringing food, so long as it's food they can eat. I can't cook, so I usually just buy cookies or chips or something. I'm on food stamps and technically my food money is supposed to be just enough for me, but I'm allowed to give away the food I buy if I want. I have enough to give away because food stamps have to be allocated so they'd feed somebody who was lots bigger and more active and less willing to eat ramen or rice-and-beans than me. The way I figure it, they're meant to feed the hungry--what does it matter if it's a hungry autistic person or a hungry college student in her gaming group?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 11:17 pm

I love sharing my food, less calories.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2012, 11:25 pm

I too dislike it when people feel entitled that I let them have some of, or try my food. If you wanted what I have, then why didn't you get it? I'm not against sharing all together though, if I feel quite full and they tell me they've never tried what I'm having, then I'll give them a bit.

Casstranquility
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Aug 2012, 11:26 pm

I really don't mind sharing food with others if I have some to share. I will even buy specific food to share with specific others because I know they like it. I am not sure about me being an aspie though... my younger brother who is an aspie, he doesn't seem to like sharing as freely as I do. But, I'm a people-pleaser.

What bugs me is when I'll be visiting someone at their house, they have their own food, I bring something for me to eat and they are staring at my food like they want some. They don't even ask, they expect me to offer. So, I started bringing only one item that I could not share, and that didn't make them happy.
As for letting people take a bite of my food or take a drink from my drink-if they touch it, it now belongs to them. I'm OCDish about germs in that way. I start to feel sick thinking about eating or drinking something that someone else has put their mouth on. Except for my boyfriend, he can share my food and drink that way cause we kiss so it's only right to deny my OCD a place for those thoughts.

A reason for me not to want to eat in front of others is that while I was living with my parents, my dad would see me having something to eat and want me to get him something, too. That kind of ruins lunch, sitting down to enjoy it and all of a sudden there's a guilt trip being laid upon me.

Let us comfort each other, and move tenderly when we are able. Let us hold hands and walk bravely, or fearfully together; for as long as there is Love, there is Hope, that everything will be okay, including the things we say are not.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 12:14 am

I will never let a person take food from my plate. The only way I will share food is to put it on their plate. No bites of my food. No sip of my drink.

If someone comes near my food uninvited I become agitated. If someone takes or touches my food without permission things get very ugly very fast.

I do enjoy sharing food but I have to initiate it and it has to be within my boundaries and rules. I love grilling for people though; that's about the only time people come running instead of go running :lol:

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 12:22 am

I don't mind if its things like lollies or chips but I will not let them lick my ice cream :eew:
I won't let them have a sip of my drink either.