Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Wulfart
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Aug 2012, 12:45 pm

I got tickets for a Dave Matthews concert next week, and once again, am facing conflicting emotions. On one hand, I'm excited cause I love Dave Matthews, but on the other hand, I'm filled with dread of having to interact with people. But, I find my self at the same time hoping to meet new people and make friends, even though I know realisticly, that's not going to happen. Anyone else get these conflict of feelings before going to a large event?

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Aug 2012, 4:33 pm

Sure.

But if you're going because you love Dave Matthews' music, then focus on his music and how it gladdens your entire being. Everything else is then just a distraction that you can tune out. That's how I deal with crowds -- by staying focused on why I'm at a particular event.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 2:50 am

I have those same feelings about next years Comic Con. I have loose (very loose) plans on meeting some online friends there. I'm afraid I'll get overwhelmed and panic, but at the same time I'm excited to see the online friends and see cast members from tv shows, etc. So on one hand, it would be great to go, but on the other hand, it might be terrible and it has me conflicted.

Wulfart

08 Sep 2012, 2:58 pm

Yea, the concert was fun but I noticed that the more people I'm around, the more I try to crawl into my own personal world.

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

08 Sep 2012, 3:58 pm

I know just what you mean. I went to one day of PAX this year. I had a blast, and also shot myself into sensory overload and gave myself a 30 hour migraine. I'm going to a concert with my partner next month. I almost didn't have her get me a ticket because I wasn't sure I can handle it, but I'm going to try anyway.

At least I'll have my new earplugs by the time of the concert. Hopefully that will help enough.

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 8:06 pm

I'm prepping for an Indigo Girls concert with an orchestra backing them later on this month. I'm buying the albums I've missed, to familiarize myself with their later music, so that I don't have to process it as new information, and I hope to remember ear plugs for moments in which I might need them. My girlfriend is going with me, and she'll be driving, if all goes well, so I won't have to worry about being tired or dealing with traffic, parking, or navigating the area alone. This will be much easier than going by myself or doing what I had to do the other times I went, in years past: trying to find a ride with someone because of having no transportation of my own.

I keep wondering if I should contact the venue to see if there's some way they can accommodate me so that I won't have to wait in a long line, since I already have the tickets and would find aggravating my fibromyalgia by standing to be challenging. Also, I'd have hope that getting in quicker might help me with feeling tense in the crowd. The less pain and anxiety I have by the time the concert starts, the more enjoyment I'll be able to get out of it. But I don't want to take an unfair advantage by asking for something if I can get by without it. I could probably manage without special consideration, as I have in the past. I'm just getting used to my new awareness of my sensitivities now, since my diagnosis. It bothers me to think I might be asking for too much. I may just push myself through the more challenging stuff, as I would have in the past.

Loitering is encouraged at The Wayshelter: http://wayshelter.com

LordExiron
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Sep 2012, 8:31 pm

Sounds familiar. I always feel like I'm going to meet someone just likes me, who is there to enjoy the event, but just wants to enjoy it and isn't there to be loud or touch strangers or dance or do any of the boring things people do. Then we could go to concerts together and it would protect us from other people bothering us. Unfortunately, if he or she is there, they are in their own world, and I'm in my own world, so we never meet. It's a shame when you think about it.

Wulfart

09 Sep 2012, 1:21 pm

I t is and I had the same thought about others there like me

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Sep 2012, 1:31 pm

I went to Reading Festival on the Sunday this year, I was anxious that I wouldn't be able to cope with the crowds but I was mostly fine.