Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

AlreadyAgain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2012, 2:30 pm

Is anyone else a big ol' obsessive Muse fan like me? Has anyone else heard their new songs? If so, what do you think of their move into a more electronica/dubstep sound? Are you excited about their new album which will be out in October?

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 3:49 pm

Didn't know about their move into electronica and dubstep, now I lost my respect for the instrumentalists. They went the crappy radiohead route where you go all electronic.

As far as the band itself goes I think they used to be like Coheed and Cambria: ruined by an unfitting vocalist. Coheed and Cambria is way better instrumentally though in my opinion.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

chiastic_slide
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Aug 2012, 3:58 pm

I just can't tolerate the singer's voice. It makes my skin crawl. The music is ok. I feel the same way about Radiohead, slightly less so.

AlreadyAgain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2012, 7:47 pm

I have to say, I'm shocked to hear you guys say you don't like the vocals. I think that's one of the biggest thing going for Muse. Bellamy's vocals are probably only second to Freddie Mercury - definitely second in range. That's very surprising.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

31 Aug 2012, 8:44 pm

I like some of their older stuff. I don't really like what they're churning out these days.

joeyfarlz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Sep 2012, 7:54 am

SanityTheorist wrote:
Didn't know about their move into electronica and dubstep, now I lost my respect for the instrumentalists. They went the crappy radiohead route where you go all electronic.

As far as the band itself goes I think they used to be like Coheed and Cambria: ruined by an unfitting vocalist. Coheed and Cambria is way better instrumentally though in my opinion.

My thoughts exactly

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 2:13 am

There have been many threads about them. My reply remains the same: I miss when they weren't famous.

AlreadyAgain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2012, 12:12 pm

I thought they were always pretty famous, unless you count the Battle of the Bands era when they were like a tarted up Nirvana. Funny about the vocals on that because while I can see a big difference in the style between their first album and their most recent album, I think vocals have actually improved. Before Matt's voice was nasally and closed, though still very good. Recently he has a very open-throated, powerful and non nasal voice comparable to operatic singers.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 3:11 am

They were hyped in the British press but not yet famous when I bought Showbiz. I asked the record store clerk what he knows about them because I wasn't sure whether or not I should buy it, and I didn't take it for granted he'll know who I'm talking about. Nowadays you can search for Muse at any record store without feeling like you're speaking Chinese, I'll presume.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 1:26 pm

Ok so I went on youtube to look for the new "dubstep" songs.. because I hadn't heard them before.. and I gotta say I'm confused

"Unsustainable" is kinda cool but.. an entire album like that? I don't know...

and "Madness" starts pretty terrible but gets better. Somehow Matt's voice sounds different...?

Hm. I think I'll listen to some of their older stuff now to feel better.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 2:05 pm

Big fan... but not really into the songs after 2006/2007 aka Black Holes and Revelations.
I like Matt's vocals...
Someone said that Muse were brilliant but Emos ruined them.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

AlreadyAgain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Sep 2012, 5:11 pm

Sanctus wrote:
Ok so I went on youtube to look for the new "dubstep" songs.. because I hadn't heard them before.. and I gotta say I'm confused

and "Madness" starts pretty terrible but gets better. Somehow Matt's voice sounds different...?

I don't think the whole album is like that. The last two songs are dubstep and Madness is like Queen meets electronica. From what I heard, the others are in the electronica area but are not dubstep.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 1:07 am

AlreadyAgain wrote:
Sanctus wrote:

I don't think the whole album is like that. The last two songs are dubstep and Madness is like Queen meets electronica. From what I heard, the others are in the electronica area but are not dubstep.

Then it was probably a weird move to choose these two as singles. :P