Page 97 of 105 [ 1671 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 105  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2019, 7:44 pm

dyadiccounterpoint wrote:
I was going through some of the older pieces I wrote when I started composing, and I found this little gem. I wrote it as part of a 15 minute, 5 movement piece while I was obsessing over it during several LSD experiences. It's one of the more consonant movements.

There is a vague narrative in the 5 movements, and this, the final movement, begins with an ascension from chaos (the concepts of wrath and aggression were pervading the 4th movement this is evolving out of) into..well...basically a cliché ending. It's meant to have an unsettled feeling of hope rising into a sincere and heightened sense of beauty and then concluding with the expected and ordinary in an almost dissatisfying predictability.

https://soundcloud.com/user-251849607/s ... and-finale

Good chord progressions, splits, and balancing on this.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 May 2019, 7:34 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
dyadiccounterpoint wrote:
I was going through some of the older pieces I wrote when I started composing, and I found this little gem. I wrote it as part of a 15 minute, 5 movement piece while I was obsessing over it during several LSD experiences. It's one of the more consonant movements.

There is a vague narrative in the 5 movements, and this, the final movement, begins with an ascension from chaos (the concepts of wrath and aggression were pervading the 4th movement this is evolving out of) into..well...basically a cliché ending. It's meant to have an unsettled feeling of hope rising into a sincere and heightened sense of beauty and then concluding with the expected and ordinary in an almost dissatisfying predictability.

https://soundcloud.com/user-251849607/s ... and-finale

Good chord progressions, splits, and balancing on this.

Thanks for listening!

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

1stSauce
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jul 2019, 11:51 am

New EDM track I quickly knocked out
https://soundcloud.com/tim-brooks-28/al ... mid-riddim

kristallen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Aug 2019, 10:18 pm

A track I made the day before christmas a few years ago. Unfortunately the bible reading (it's not me, found it online) is in Swedish.

arandomguy46

09 Sep 2019, 9:19 am

"Stuck Inside a Pit"
An album that has a theme around living with autism.
Apple Music: https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/1456478826
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/1EOxCmT6hx3WlTyVYRwW3X

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2020, 2:20 pm

nadroJ
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 5:40 pm

Draft/demo I am working on called Humanae Libertas.

https://www.mboxdrive.com/humanae%20libertas.mp3

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2020, 10:18 am

Since I’ve mentioned I play guitar and dabble in composition for it a few times and then some... here’s a quick and dirty recording I made of one of my attempts :D

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 4:35 pm

Cool. Nice to see other musicians on here.

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

16 Jul 2020, 1:19 pm

Most recent piece of improvised piano music I made...something in the classical/jazz zone.

I do recordings like this usually every few months or so. It used to be every month, and I'd share to FB, then I quit FB and realized I was putting too much pressure on doing the recordings (and really getting very few views). They all tend to be similar and I think that if you're not particularly interested in piano music of this genre, you won't enjoy them. Also I used to sometimes go for like 20 or 30 min., and I realize most people's attention span for a piece of music is much less than this.

I play piano or guitar basically every day unless I'm taking a rest. Mainly I do the recordings for myself, so that I can listen to my playing and reflect on it and get new ideas and take it new places. Secondarily I do it so I can share my music with people in an accessible way if I can't play for them in person. I basically play for my own entertainment and joy although I like to play with others listening to see how they respond. Although I could see myself maybe someday doing some gigs or something if I really tried, for the most part I don't see it as a way of making money or a career and just a hobby. I wouldn't be in it for the money but rather the experience and excitement of playing for an audience. I'm not really interested in teaching anyone to play (outside maybe my family or friends). I fantasize a bit sometimes about being able to play at Jazz clubs or something like that, but I can't really see a practical way to get there (and I tend to doubt myself that my music would be something others would actually be interested in hearing). Idk, I've always been kind of unassertive and resigned when it comes to conventional success...oh well.

One of my goals for the next 2-3 years is to finally afford a grand piano for my home. At that point I've actually considered hosting "piano meetup groups" which I know would be a good way to connect with audiences and musicians. I don't know if I'll end up doing that or what it'll be like, but it's one way to make friends I guess.

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

13 Sep 2020, 4:37 pm

Guitar video I just made...some solo improvising with clean tone...normally I play with distortion but I'm never happy with the tone, oh well. Thanks for checking it out.

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

22 Sep 2020, 9:15 pm

So I'm trying to teach myself how to play the piano, unfortunately right now I only have a 61 key Casio with no touch sensitivity, I'm saving up for a higher quality digital piano. Anyway, I wanted to learn how to read sheet music, I'm reading piano for dummies and music theory for dummies (I have to start somewhere right?) and I'm struggling especially with reading rhythm, so I googled "sheet music with playback" or something like that, and found Flat, which is a website that lets you make your own sheet music and listen to it. I started out just transcribing sheet music I already own, in the hopes that I can get an intuitive understanding of music notation by doing this, but out of curiosity I starting playing around with it and tried to make my own stuff, and now I can't stop!

I've been uploading them to Soundcloud and a YouTube playlist (the Soundcloud uploads are better quality, for some reason the videos sound worse, maybe it's the video capturing software I used, but you can see the sheet music in the videos). I'd really appreciate some feedback, analysis or advice, I only just started doing this 3 weeks ago but I'm addicted and want to improve. Whispering Woods is the first one I made which is why it's repetitive and simplistic but I think I'm getting better at this as I'm learning more. I'm trying to learn about chord progression and how to get different instruments to harmonize properly. I couldn't tell you what the chord progression of any of these are or even what key/scale some of them are in. I'm thinking of getting a proper DAW such as FL Studio with a MIDI controller, I'm already frustrated by the stuff I can't do on Flat and it's harder to keep track of the instruments as I add more.

By the way I'm fully aware it sounds like video game music, I don't know if that's because of the way the instruments sound, because I'm new at this or if I'm just that influenced by video game music. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing though. I've been watching a lot of 8 Bit Music Theory on YouTube and listening to the Soundtrack Show (awesome podcast) on my commutes, he mostly covers movies but he talks about video game music sometimes. I love themes and motifs.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

23 Sep 2020, 6:21 pm

I just learned I can publish my music on Flat itself, so you can see and listen to the sheet music without those horrible quality video captures I uploaded to YouTube.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

23 Sep 2020, 10:17 pm

I'm sorry, I just saw the sticky for Musicians' Showcase. I posted in there instead, but I don't know how to delete this thread.

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

23 Sep 2020, 10:17 pm

I made my own thread about this without realizing there was a sticky for this, sorry about that.

I'm a beginner when it comes to music, I've been trying to learn to play the piano for a while now but I only have a cheap 61 key Casio with no touch sensitivity, I'm saving up for a higher quality digital piano. I'm self-taught (no lessons) but I think I'm making progress.

This is me trying to play songs on my Casio

In an attempt to learn how to read music notation I started using Flat to transcribe sheet music I already own and then started experimenting and making my own stuff. I'm a complete beginner at composing my own music but I'm addicted, eventually I'd like to move onto using a real DAW.

This is my Flat profile where I've published sheet music I created (there is a playback feature that lets you hear it)

I would appreciate any feedback or advice.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

27 Sep 2020, 10:35 am

No problem, usagibryan - I've moved your posts to Musicians' Showcase for you.