Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

AlreadyAgain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2012, 7:53 pm

Hi everyone on the parenting discussion forum. I recently was diagnosed with AS (out of the blue) and was wondering where I could find out more about being a parent with AS. I see a lot of help for parents with AS children but not the other way around. I have two boys (1 and 4) who, as far as we and their doctors know, are NT. My husband is NT as well. Does anyone know where I might be able to go to find out more information?

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 8:00 pm

Hey there, I'm an AS parent to a one year old boy...the only help I've been able to find is right here on this forum. If you do find anything, please share it :)

Eureka-C
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2012, 8:38 pm

I am not sure if there is a discussion group particular to this concern, but you are definitely welcome here at WP. There are many parents here who are AS who have children both NT and/or with a diagnosis of something. Feel free to post your questions and you are sure to get responses and opinions.

:D

AlreadyAgain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2012, 10:33 pm

Thanks everyone. My main concern right now is how I react to my children. They are both pretty young and I find being a mother very hard. The constant whining and crying makes me lash out or just shut down and I don't want them to feel like I don't want them around, as I felt my mother was like around me.

Eureka-C
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 3:57 pm

AlreadyAgain wrote:
Thanks everyone. My main concern right now is how I react to my children. They are both pretty young and I find being a mother very hard. The constant whining and crying makes me lash out or just shut down and I don't want them to feel like I don't want them around, as I felt my mother was like around me.

You should start this as a new post. :)

Several of the parents with AS on here, as best as I can remember, talk about learning to take care of themselves, get support from others, and the changing views toward their children as they move through different stages. It seems the baby stage is difficult for many parents.

If you start a new post asking for advice on this particular topic, I am sure you will get lots of responses and suggestions.
It seems to me that posts asking specific questions than big general ideas get more and better responses. This is a good specific question.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 5:36 pm

I have AS, and my kids are NT (although I'm reconsidering about the youngest son) and I always just talked to them like little adults. I never did the baby talk or the "dumbing down" with them. I just explained things and expected them to understand, and if they didn't, I'd explain again. They usually understood. I think it's given them a lot of maturity.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Sharkgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2012, 6:55 am

Hi There,

I am Aspie and have an NT child (I think with aspie traits) - not sure if its due to nature or nurture or both.
I too talk to my child like she is an adult - and i believe that she gets it. Most of the time she does - but not exactly how I get what I am explaining.

Others have recently said to me that I need to talk to "my friends" about issues such as work - I am not sure exactly - they seem to think that I treat her like a friend - which I do - but not in the sense of needing emotional support. I dont really seek emotional support its more like needing to talk about the events in my like to understand them on a cognitive level. My parenting is very different to other peoples - but we have a great relationship so I think i am doing something right.
Unfortunately others think that my parenting has to do with her current mental health problems - i actually think my parenting has helped her with this heaps as she is going through alot of what i have previously (she is so much like me its scary) however she has more insight and much more ability than i ever had at her age.

I try to be a great parent - not the typical kind thought. I get so tired and need to escape to solitude or go for long walks, I parent alot through text messaging her - the really important things that teenagers dont like to hear - i frequently text her motivational quotes that are good to help her with her mental health issues and put her on the right track mentally. I have no interest in doing the housework cause I am in the midst of so many projects. I get there eventually but its not a priority.

I think I am doing ok but others dont necessarily agree with me - they think that I let her get away with too much - i just think she needs time to develop who she is and support to express herself - not someone enforcing the rules - "Cause I said so".

Its so hard to know - parenting is so filled with guilt - I try my best and change the things I think i need to as I go along.

At least I can keep my meltdowns to myself or have them elsewhere so they dont fully impact on her so much as they used to.

AlreadyAgain
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2012, 10:30 am

I will have to post the question, I suppose. It's very hard to put into words what I want to say, though. I'm not sure how to ask.