Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 2:05 am

I got a phone call from my dad yesterday. He's sure there is something wrong with me - he doesnt believe in Autism. and I am pretty damn HF.
Anyways he is trying to tell me after watching a documentury that my friends are so called "Emotional Vampires" and that they are draining me emotionally n that is what is wrong with me. They are dragging me down. I seriously have never heard such BULLDUST in my entire life.

I never used to have friends, f**k me, i am thankful for the friends I have.
I was suicidal by the time i came back home from living away in germany fro almost 2 years. The friends I have made have made me happy. If anyone is being an emotional vampire to me, its my father because he just can't see how happy i am. and he's always putting me down for having the friends I do have. just because theyre either spectrum kids like me or just not slender or just not normal... idk thats whats really getting me down, his constant nitt picking.
Anyways as far as friends go, has anyone ever come accross an Emotional vampire before? and has anyone got any feedback, suggestions for me?

SickInDaHead
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Sep 2012, 2:19 am

They do exist, but according to a friend of mine who actually makes money being a ghostbuster, emotional vampires are not evil nor are they doing it on purpose. It's simply their energy field or something that can better be described as "vibes".

But it's also remarkable that it takes two to be drained, the EV is not necessarily draining everybody, but will drain the "right" people whose energy field is at the right vibe to fill theirs.

This is what I am told.

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 2:22 am

Thanks, by the way you explain it my dad shouldnt be believing in EV's because of his religion, but yeah. I perhaps should do some research into it i think that may be a good idea.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 2:51 am

abusive or constantly negative people could be described as emotional vampires.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 3:45 am

cathylynn wrote:
abusive or constantly negative people could be described as emotional vampires.

Exactly. I have dealt with several of them in my lifetime and they will not let you be. They insist every problem you have is insignificant when compared to some issue they have. They say you are being selfish because you look out for your own interest at times and that you should instead be focusing on them. People like this are not normal and usually have a disorder like Narcissistic Personality, Borderline Personality, Sociopathy or Psychopathy.

Also, emotional vampire or psychic vampire as a term need not relate to parapsychology or anything spiritual. Some people use it to refer to living people who suck all of the joy from others in order to make themselves feel better, more important, etc. It's kind of a forced empathy thing where they are forcing you to feel as miserable as they do by ruining your emotional state.

VAGraduateStudent
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2012, 9:37 am

It sounds like your dad is being a "Helicopter Dad." Meaning that he's circling around you being a busybody and not accepting that you're an adult now. Unless your friends are drug addicts or something, and they obviously are not from how you described them, how are they his business?

Maybe you could just remind him in a matter of fact way that you're an adult and your friends are your own affair? Then maybe you could spend time with him so he knows he's still valued? If you both share an interest maybe you could do something together involving the interest? Or you could ask for his advice on something else, such as school, or work, or whatever you don't mind him giving advice on?

I just think parents need to be redirected sometimes. Kind of like my dog when he's in the cat food. I just tell him no and steer him over to the dog food. lol