Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

mljt
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Sep 2012, 4:49 am

I'm seeing my GP on Tuesday to discuss an assessment for ASD. As I mentioned in another thread, I can't have anyone who's known me more than a few years there because of family problems. I'm trying to recall things from my childhood which may be relevant and wondered if anyone could tell me if these two things are relevant?

I've always been aware that I was taken to a psychologist/psychiatrist (?) as a child because I didn't talk when outside of the home. I believe I started to speak at around the right time, but at some point during nursery school (so, 2 or 3 years old) I stopped speaking there. This carried on until I was about 5 or 6 (I clearly remember the first time I spoke at school, because the teacher lifted me off the ground in celebration!) I'm aware children with autism usually have delayed speech, if they speak at all, but is it a sign of AS to have normal speech in one setting and none in another? If I remember correctly, this not speaking was out of fear/embarrassment/physically not being able to when under pressure to.

My Mum told me that around the same time, I used to hide under the table when I needed the toilet. At school I would just hold it all day and go when I got home.

I know these two things were linked to me seeing the doctor. I don't think any diagnosis of anything came from it, but I'll see if my doctor can access my records from back then..but wanted to know if anyone else had similar experiences as a child/do they seem like signs of AS and should I include them in my list of "symptoms"?

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 5:11 am

The thing about not being able to speak in certain settings sounds like selective mutism to me. You can read more about it here.