Did you ever have a meltdown in school

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

phyrehawke
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2012, 11:52 am

I had some mild meltdowns over learning how to read (classroom too chaotic...ended up hiding out in library, learned from another student), and writing in 1st grade was a constant fight with a teacher over my ambidexterity. I got into a few fights with bullies that I wanted to pick with her. 2nd grade brought 1 more fight with a bully (had zero tolerance for bullies) who got revenge later by causing a playground head injury on purpose. No more walking that sort of meltdown path for me. I did not like the results I was getting from the decisions I was making when I hit a certain point. (We're just listing school here.) It never really occurred to me before, but I think avoiding that sort of meltdown is where most of my frustration and anxiety has come from, and if that's the price of this sort of self control I think I got a pretty good bargain.

When I had a few in HS, I could go sit in a storage room off the library or go outside and sit and cry on the quiet side of the school. I remember one was over dropping/spilling a new housepaint sized container of latex acrylic completely across an (art) classroom floor diagonally. My teacher wasn't even angry, just shocked. That was quite a mess to clean up and I was upset over it for days.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 1:36 pm

I had more meltdowns in school than anywhere else. in all 12 years of school there were only 2 staff members that were even remotely understanding. I would mainly shutdown. I was diagnosed in the 2nd grade yet no one told me anything. I had no idea why I was being singled out and put into special ed. from that moment I was doomed to have no friends. I stayed mute most of the time till I got to high school. when ever I had a shutdown I would get suspended.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 1:41 pm

I've had a meltdown in high school because of undiagnosed AS. One was in grade 11 when I had a lot going on in my life, and on top of that, I couldn't figure out how to structure my presentation and I sometimes missed deadlines. My teacher had said for that particular assignment that if we did not present on the day we were assigned, we would get a zero. I forget why, but I felt really uncomfortable presenting in front of my class. I think that I felt that they hated me. So I had a meltdown in the hallway. It had never happened before.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 6:01 pm

I had lots of meltdowns in elementary school but they stopped after grade 6. Then I had one in grade 9 after several years without them, followed by another period without meltdowns through grades 10, 11, and the first year of grade 12.

My victory lap is when I started having meltdowns again like crazy. Some were actually in private while others were in public but I just didn't care. I could've held it in but I chose not to.

In elementary school around grades 3 and 4 I threw books. In kindegarden I would get on the floor and kick and scream.

One time around grade 5 I stormed out of the classroom and a TA followed me. She chased me and now that I think about it she was probably more worried than I thought at the time. Why would she run after me as fast as she did if she wasn't trying to keep me in her line of sight. I really couldn't get away from her and I was running. I was about 4 seconds ahead of her when I ran into the storage closet. That meltdown resembled the ones I've been having in the recent years after my fifth year of highschool in that I might of been crying for attention and help with what I did next. I knew she was going to get into the storage room in a matter of seconds. I didn't even close the door I just grabbed something to hurt myself with but I was scared. I was thinking about it at the time but I knew I couldn't do it. I knew she was going to see me.

I've had a lot of meltdowns.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 7:34 pm

There was this one time that I had a meltdown in elementary school. I was in my Special Ed classroom and I was very angry about people treating me like an idiot. I started to run over my male classmates by getting in their faces and telling them off. I also took off my boots and hurled them at a male classmate who was sitting on the counter by the door. I've apologized to everybody 15 minutes later. That wasn't a good afternoon. At least everybody forgave me.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 7:49 pm

Practically all I remember of school was meltdowns, middle school was the worst as that's when I was more aware of other than I was in primary school and it was in middle school that social rules started to change and bullying got a lot more personal. It got to the point that whenever anyone even talked to me I'd have a meltdown, it was horrible.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 8:00 pm

seaturtleisland wrote:

One time around grade 5 I stormed out of the classroom and a TA followed me. She chased me and now that I think about it she was probably more worried than I thought at the time. Why would she run after me as fast as she did if she wasn't trying to keep me in her line of sight. I really couldn't get away from her and I was running. I was about 4 seconds ahead of her when I ran into the storage closet.
I've had a lot of meltdowns.

I have had a meltdown that was almost identical to that one in the same grade too. when I read that I had an indescribable emotion come over me. now im stuck thinking about all my meltdowns

legomyego
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2012, 8:16 pm

many times in elementary....i was some what of a crazy child it seemed.

UDAspie13
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2012, 8:44 pm

Colinn wrote:
I don't think I've ever experienced a melt down before. I can become rather withdrawn or very anxious, but never anything as extreme as a meltdown.

I don't really have meltdowns anymore, maybe once or twice a year between spring break and end of school, or when there is too much time between breaks. I am terrible at planning my schoolwork out and have EF issues to the max, so I get overwhelmed and just start sobbing and banging my fist, whatever makes me feel better because I feel like I would just… idk. Usually hitting something helps but then I get in trouble.

CosmicCastaway
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2012, 8:47 pm

Plenty of times, although two very different incidents come to mind. The first was in 2nd grade when after coming back from the nurse (I had horrible asthma back then), I entered a dark classroom. It turned out that the teacher neglected to tell me that the class was going out for Computer Lab and that I was to meet them there after the nurse. I waited for them in the dark classroom for half an hour. When they came back, they all stared at me, and the teacher started asking me in a very shrill voice what was wrong with me, looking at me like I was this weird thing. I couldn't take it, so I just burst into hysterics, and when the teacher demanded an answer, I told her my heart hurt, which was metaphorically true. Although, that sort of panicked everyone, and I was abruptly sent home, and narrowly avoided being sent to the ER....

The second incident was worth remembering. I was in high school English class, which was separated into loudly chatting groups. After listening to the hipster girl in my group (every class has one!) drawl on and on about poetry, I found myself getting so angry, like I would just rip out her throat then and there. My teacher immediately picked up on it, and discretely asked me if I would like to go outside the classroom for some air. I happily agreed. It was just what I needed. Three minutes later she came to get me, not asking for any explanation. I still tried to give her one, saying that "I just felt so angry." and she only smiled and said it was okay.

Sometimes having the right teacher makes all the difference.

AQ: 39

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 7:00 am

CosmicCastaway wrote:
I couldn't take it, so I just burst into hysterics, and when the teacher demanded an answer, I told her my heart hurt, which was metaphorically true. Although, that sort of panicked everyone, and I was abruptly sent home, and narrowly avoided being sent to the ER....

I know the point you were trying to make is the difference the teacher makes but I just had to point out how ironic this part is.

Everyone panicked. Now who's taking things literally? :lol:

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 12:48 pm

When my parents were getting their divorce, I was melting down a lot at school. At one of the schools I went to for preschool and kindergarten, I finally just ran out of the classroom and into the parking lot, and sat down on one of the concrete barriers. I was going to sit there until either my mom or dad came to pick me up. I didn't care that I was going to be bored stiff just sitting out there until school let out; at least out there it was quiet, and I felt safe among the faculty and staff's parked Cars. The school was actually partially hidden in a nice, shady, forested area and had a very interesting architectural design...I would have actually liked it if it weren't so chaotic in my classroom with noise and barely - controlled kids running around, and if they allowed me to have one of my stuffed animals with me (I had a plushie of Spike from The Land Before Time that I would sneak in there in my backpack).

After the parking lot incident, my parents decided that it would be best if I transferred to a therapeutic school. My kindergarten/first grade teacher really seemed to like me and understand me, and when I melted down with her, either she or the aide would take me to this small room with a rocking chair and would sit in it with me and rock me until I calmed down. They knew that it wasn't right for such a little girl to be so frightened and depressed. Then again, they were trained to be therapeutic and stuff, and the staff at my previous school were not.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2012, 1:08 pm

When I was in primary school I melted down a few times, although i tend to keep things balled up, then shutdown in the evening when I get home, which results in missing homework and getting more stressed out. I'm not so bad anymore though.

I remember once I had a shutdown at lunch and locked myself in a toilet and zoned out sitting on the floor well into afternoon lessons. Fortunately my teacher that year was the kindest woman I've ever been taught by, and she didn't even tell my parents.

TonyHoyle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Sep 2012, 1:33 pm

I didn't have meltdowns often but when I did I went into full 'Hulk Smash' mode and the school bullies that invariably caused it kept a wide berth afterwards.

As an adult I see the signs and get out before I break.

These days I'm more likely to go the other way and just shut down in a large crowd... which confuses friends who see me as they don't know why I won't speak to them.

JellyCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2012, 2:22 pm

I started yelling/ranting in front of the whole class when asked to move seats. I also used to cry a lot (like meltdown cry, I'd cry all the time, but this was more/different)in food tech, and sewing, because the teacher really didn't like me, so would yell and me for the silliest things, like not picking up something I didn't drop, or even see, when she could have picked it up, seeing as she was just stood there, watching me.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 6:06 pm

Melted down constantly during elementary school due to changes of plan/changes in the environment around me/sensory overstimulation/not being able to do preferred activities. I would melt down more if I had a teacher who wasn't particularly understanding of me and didn't pick her battles.

Around grade 6, my meltdowns lessened, but they still happened around once a month. I rarely have them today...my last one happened about 3 or so months ago, and that was after 11 months without one.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.