Did you ever have a meltdown in school

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Pokelover14
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2012, 3:16 am

I am always very stressed in school hallways. All the people pushing through all the noise. Sometime i would actually sit agenst a locker and cry because it was way to overwhelming. I just cant take it. Teachers would yell at me if i was late to class but sometimes i would wait for the bell to ring just so i wouldnt have a meltdown in the hall way. My math class had my meanest teacher. All my other teachers where even special education or knew i had AS and would tell me that it was fine to come to class late. But two of my classes math and gym where regular teachers. My math teacher said two lates andit counted as an absense. Five absenses and you atomsticly fail the class. I have stayed after class having my math teacher aay that even though I AM THE SMARTEST student in her class and have never gotten less than a 96 on any project i am going to FAIL. I have had the school consiler write me notes saying that i am allowed to stay after class since of the fact i cant handle all the sensory. I have showed up to my math class crying from the hallway. I think the worst day i have ever had was when i went though the crowded hallway, was crying, the bell rang as i walked thorugh the door my teacher said i am late stop crying like a baby and take your seat. She held me after class making me late for gym so being agetated i go to my worst class. Which i was late for. We har to play team vollyball and this jerk kept pushing me down. I lost it that day and beat him up. He was a bully who was always so mean to me and would even pull my hair out when he sat behind me, who write curse words on my papers in pen, and always called me names. I didnt realy hurt him since i only hit him once on his arm before another kid restraind me. I got a saturday detention for all of that plus an after school for showing up late again to my classes. I hate my high school

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 5:44 am

yeah, they tried the "you were late (by less than a minute), so i marked you as absent...." - in maths with me too. so i just said to the cow "well, if you've put me down as absent, so i should probably just leave and have an early lunch" and walked out. i didn't need and couldn't do that class anyway - i only had to take it because my head of maths "knew what was best for me" - e.g. taking theoretical maths (functions, calculus etc) which my brain doesn't like instead of practical maths (interest rates, units of measurement etc) which obviously i can do - and had far more use of in electronic studies, physics and computing :D .

my PE teacher was a psychopath, I think most of them are :P
i think pe was where i was most likely to melt down - especially with all the neds aiming their tennis balls at your head while shouting abuse at you - meanwhile my PE teacher suddenly developed temporary deafness and blindness. no prizes for guessing what happened when i snapped and broke a racket over one of their heads. to be fair, he was more concerned about the cost of a tennis racket than anything else.

I met him briefly (my ex pe teacher) last year at a local charity fundraiser, but he didn't seem to recognize or remember me. 8O

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2012, 8:32 am

I've never actually lost control in public, though I've dropped out of school 6 times. I usually manage to contain the freak out until I'm somewhere private, and resolve by doing something like hiding under a blanket and not getting out of bed for extended periods of time, or rocking back and forth in the shower for a while and then hiding under a blanket. if a dorm room counts as "in school" it happens all the time.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 9:12 am

Not so much in high school because I knew what AS was and how it affected me. Moreso in elementary school, where I was constantly bullied and wound up lashing out at those who pushed into meltdown mode. Got sent a lot to the principal's office for it...if only I knew the words I know now to describe the event...

Then I have done my job

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

03 Sep 2012, 9:12 am

I can immediately think of two meltdowns I've had in school. I don't remember what set it off, but I remember an incident during the fifth grade in which I shattered a teacher's coffee mug. The other was in the 9th grade, when a teacher wanted me to stop reading and close my eyes because she thought the whole class should have a break where we put our heads down and close our eyes. But, I wanted to read, so I read. Meltdown ensued when she tried to take the book.

I almost certainly had more instances than that, but those are the two that come to mind.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 9:20 am

I remember once in fourth or fifth grade in art class doing a project and wanting to take it home with me to give to a relative in the hospital. The teacher refused, I got upset, and I remember him coming after me and me running with him eventually flipping over a table to get to me and dragging me out of the classroom.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 9:21 am

I had a friend who I got on with quite well, and who I enjoyed talking with about the course, except he had a really annoying habit of touching me to emphasize words or show when he was being serious. I never found a good way of not being touched (this was usually on the shoulder or forearm), no matter how many ways I tried. One day I just lost it completely and shouted about being touched all the time, although I have no recall of exactly what I said, or whether I swore, or whether I said it was inappropriate (sexual) touching. I remember slowly being aware that the entire square, which had been very busy and noisy, was completely silent and there was virtually nobody left. All my class had gone. I went home (I don't remember how) and had no friends anymore after that.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 9:37 am

Yeah, I had a meltdown before in grade 8 when my music teacher tried to get me to play my musical instrument in front of the class but I wasn't good at it and I didn't want to and I started crying because the whole class was staring at me and trying to get me to play.

Also, I think this is one of the very few times I actually cried in school. I've always tried to hold it in if I felt like crying. I don't like to cry in front of people.

Last edited by lostgirl1986 on 03 Sep 2012, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 9:40 am

When I was new in 5th grade I cried after class and the Mandarin language teacher was very understanding and sympathetic. I cried because I was new and it was overwhelming to me. I had attended a school for a few months in the U.S. and made some good friends then moved a few months later overseas to a new school and it was just a bit much. Eventually I adjusted and made friends and made excellent grades especially in English and Writing, as well as Spanish class.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 9:44 am

i threw books at teachers heads and struggled physically with them.
i spent a lot of time in adolescent units.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 10:11 am

I had several ''temper tantrums'' when I was 4 and 5 at school, I used to scream at the top of my lungs if someone was making me do something that was making me anxious. And when I was 6 and 7, I used to just cry if someone made me do something that was making me anxious. When I got to about 8 I didn't cry so much any more at school, and I learned to cope and tell teachers what made me anxious, and if I had to do something that made me anxious I didn't make an unnecessary fuss.

I had ''teenage tantrums'' when I was 15 and 16 (in my last year of school). This was because I was angry that my friends were being bitchy towards me, and playing about with my feelings, and it just all got to me and made me depressed, so I used to slam classroom doors or throw chairs down hard, et cetera. But it wasn't anything I was unaware of - I knew I was doing it because I was upset, and I suppose it looked like I was feeling sorry for myself, which I was.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 10:26 am

No.

I tended to withdraw (I still do), when I hit the breaking point.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 11:02 am

StevieC wrote:

That's one reason they often did that extremely cruel "picking teams" thing during PE class. I wonder if any PE teachers still do that now? It seems like a practice that would have been banned by most schools.

PE teachers are also notorious for "joining in" if other kids are picking on somebody during class.

Last edited by Venger on 03 Sep 2012, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 11:11 am

I remember standing in a very crowded area during class change and just getting totally overwhelmed. I just froze and started yelling how people just have to bump into you, just have to touch you. I couldn't move - I just freaked. I had one friend who I hung out with - she was intensely shy at that time. She stood and trued to calm me down: shh, they don't mean to, it's okay. If I could have unstuck myself, I would have swung.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 11:20 am

I don't think I've ever experienced a melt down before. I can become rather withdrawn or very anxious, but never anything as extreme as a meltdown. I just tended to skip classes if I felt I was close to my breaking point which I don't regret doing as high school gave me little benefit anyway.

StevieC wrote:

I think its an unwritten rule that all PE teachers must be obnoxious and arrogant or they don't get the job. Like to give kids a hard time but now your out of school? Become a PE teacher and do it for a living! :P

phyrehawke
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2012, 11:52 am

I had some mild meltdowns over learning how to read (classroom too chaotic...ended up hiding out in library, learned from another student), and writing in 1st grade was a constant fight with a teacher over my ambidexterity. I got into a few fights with bullies that I wanted to pick with her. 2nd grade brought 1 more fight with a bully (had zero tolerance for bullies) who got revenge later by causing a playground head injury on purpose. No more walking that sort of meltdown path for me. I did not like the results I was getting from the decisions I was making when I hit a certain point. (We're just listing school here.) It never really occurred to me before, but I think avoiding that sort of meltdown is where most of my frustration and anxiety has come from, and if that's the price of this sort of self control I think I got a pretty good bargain.

When I had a few in HS, I could go sit in a storage room off the library or go outside and sit and cry on the quiet side of the school. I remember one was over dropping/spilling a new housepaint sized container of latex acrylic completely across an (art) classroom floor diagonally. My teacher wasn't even angry, just shocked. That was quite a mess to clean up and I was upset over it for days.