Does anyone else feel like they are trapped behind a glass..

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 6:38 pm

Is it akin to feeling like when you talk your words drop into an abyss - that no one can hear you?

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 7:30 pm

Nah, more like yelling across a canyon, with the wind blowing in my face..

Matthew

zeldazonk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Jun 2016, 12:44 am

I'm so happy to come across this post!
This is exactly how I feel. Unable to really take part in life and feel it as it all goes by so quickly.
Very painful. I described it to my pychologist today and she started talking about it as if it's a defense mechanism - you know like we put up walls when we've been hurt to protect ourselves - but I think it's different. I think it's an Autistic thing.

Zel.

GaetanK
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Oct 2022, 9:54 am

This feeling of having a 'glass wall' or 'glass box' around me has been what I've tried to describe to people for so long without having the words for it!
When I find out I could explain how I experienced the world, and that this is what made me feel like I was different and separated from others, that made total sense. I used to wonder "maybe I'm from another planet" :lol:

Now I understand that is wall of glass perception is very very common in asperger's syndrome, actually it may well be at the core of it.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 10:50 am

Misslizard wrote:
Yes,but with me it seems more like dirty,scratched plexiglas.

That's exactly how it feels for me too.

My friend describes it differently...

"like having a goldfish bowl on your head"

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 11:15 am

Only and only if I stop thinking about myself completely and only focus about everyone else -- what they do, what they think, what they feel.

If I have the desire to be or if I have to mind to be "with others", this would happen too, because I've been thinking about what they'll think and feel, what they'll do about my presence than myself -- all about them than about me.

There's just a really weird paradoxical switch thing to it in my case.

Mine isn't limited to being trapped in a glass; influencing no one and being influenced by no one, there's also being a ping-pong ball -- influencing no one and yet being influenced by everyone.

Then there's the independent agent where I only influence and is influenced by no one. This usually happens either you're a charming reliable and trustworthy person, or a spoiled and needy child who would have a fit if one gets in your way and is everyone's worry.
The ideal, as I observed, is to influence everyone and be influenced all the same.

And if I think of myself this also means my actions reflecting towards others.
However, this may mean ending up daydreaming and repeating patterns (whether a sensation, a memory, etc.)

This also means if I have the cognitive power and emotional control to uplift (or dampen myself down) translated in messages "readable" by others, the less "trapped behind in a glass" I'm, and more like in a damn spotlight on a set without a script of my own and everyone knows theirs.
The best experience I got was influencing everything and everyone reacts the way how I want it.

Defying a script correctly is like defying less conscious parts of relationship dynamics -- which is typically hard for humans to breakthrough.

So I concluded so far that if I want to feel less of being trapped in a glass (or worse, a reactive mess of a ping-pong ball instead), I just need adequate (internal) sensory and emotional regulation to stop being in my own head.
To actually influence greater than that, I need the full spectrum of executive functions.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2022, 8:56 pm

Dissociated

Disconnected

Constantly since 12 or so

Surreal