Does anyone else feel like they are trapped behind a glass..

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Sep 2012, 8:38 am

*behind a glass wall? Looking at the world, but never able to make it to the other side of the glass?

I feel as if I am trapped inbetween reality and a fantasy world, but cannot fully dive into either because of the latter. I cannot fully dive into the realm of my brain because of reality, but I cannot travel into reality because of my fantasy world. And I simply don't know how to live in both.

No one ever seems to try to penetrate the glass, and I didn't even know it exited until recently. As I lacked the ability to care about it.

Does anybody else feel similar?

AQ: 36

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 9:26 am

iceveela wrote:
Does anybody else feel similar?

At the moment (a few weeks now) I feel like my head is in cotton wool - like I can hear and see everything, but distant. When I move my head, I feel like my mind moves separately and more slowly, and takes a while to catch up. I am afraid of falling down stairs because my mind is slower than my body. Sometimes I feel like I am not actually "here" in my body, but operating it by remote control, with a slight time delay in the controls operating, or me sensing what the body senses.

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2012, 9:40 am

I get depersonalization episodes all the time. with mine it's not quite as metaphorical as I think you were being, mine are literal simple partial seizures that include spatial disorientation, size distortion, and stuff as well as the feeling of being sort of insulated...I always think of it as being covered in layers of saran wrap.

Last edited by Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2 on 03 Sep 2012, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 9:52 am

i do feel like i am in a bubble in which the entire interior surface is a one way mirror where i see my self only and everyone else outside sees me but i do not see them seeing me.

Wulfart
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Sep 2012, 11:08 am

Yea, I feel like that alot. People tell me what they've done or are doing, and I feel liek that I'm not taking part in life, and no matter how ard I try, I'm always on the outside.

lyricalillusions
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 11:38 am

Yes, definitely. For me though, it's as if I'm living in a plastic bubble. It keeps me from being able to fully experience life.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 12:03 pm

Yes,but with me it seems more like dirty,scratched plexiglas.

benr3600
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Sep 2012, 12:10 pm

Yes, I was thinking about this last night, inspired by the "are we forgotten?" thread last week. I am socially excluded quite a lot. I feel like an observer, like the biologist or zoologist sitting in the tall grass with his notebook/camera watching an ancestral species groom and interact with each other without knowing or caring that I am there.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 1:03 pm

I feel like this nearly all the time since early childhood.

I don't see it as depersonalization, but very often as part as autism. Probaply through the overload.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 1:11 pm

I have always felt like a ghost

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 2:59 pm

Raziel wrote:
I feel like this nearly all the time since early childhood.

I don't see it as depersonalization, but very often as part as autism. Probaply through the overload.

I've always felt like this too. It is part of autism (although people who aren't autistic probably feel this way too in some cases) but I don't think it's overload. It's just the sense of being apart from the rest of the world. The word autism means "within the self". When I was a kid and people would say I was "in my own little world" I thought people knew of my fantasy world because as a kid I would be almost constantly daydreaming about the worlds in the books I read-pretending to be a character in them. I thought they knew I did this and "my own little world" was the world(s) in my books that I could see in my imagination but for more typical aspies it could be the world of their special interests and routines.....which are apart from and different from the social world so many others inhabit.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 3:47 pm

I've often though of myself being in a transparent flexible bubble, where I can see everything and everyone, but what I see and hear is distorted somewhat. I feel like I can't really connect to anyone or anything because that barrier is there. It's like trying to feel objects with latex gloves on, you get the general idea but you're still missing something that all of the un-gloved people are getting.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 6:53 pm

Only all of my 50 years. Feel like I am looking in a window & watching other people live their lives. Or maybe like Marley's ghost, wandering the world but powerless to do anything to commuincate/touch it.
And I cannot understand why anyone would consider this something positive. Puzzling, puzzling.

Sincerely,
Matthew

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 7:01 pm

I feel like this all the time. It's really quite unpleasant. The anti-depressants I take make it worse but that is the only real side effect I get from them and so the benefits outweigh that one unpleasant thing.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 7:09 pm

Best way I have been able to describe it is like everyone else is on the ground floor of a building while I am a few floors higher up there. Its hard to talk to them that way and they always hear me wrong.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2012, 7:33 pm

Yes, consantly. The glass wall, the cotton wool head, the bubble - all ways I've tried to describe it. 'Wrong floors' is a new one - I shall add it to my list. Only since joining WP did I find it's comon in ASD.

Misslizard wrote:
Yes,but with me it seems more like dirty,scratched plexiglas.

Literally so for me - I have floaters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater