Does anyone else feel like they are trapped behind a glass..

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Sep 2012, 8:56 pm

yes I totally relate to that. Story of my life

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 4:22 am

I only feel like that in certain situations. Like when my cousins come round, they all have one thing in common: the pub they go to on Friday nights, and they sit there for hours talking about all their immature shenanigans that went on. When this happens, I feel like I'm trapped behind glass.

A_floating_moon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Sep 2012, 7:25 am

I was just mentioning to someone how it felt like I'm behind an invisible glass wall.
I don't know if it has anything to do with a "fantasy world" vs reality, but I very often feel a disconnect. It especially feels this way when I wish I could join in a conversation but I can't really manage to say anything. I'm always just watching... too afraid and inexperienced to socialize. I feel like I can understand other people, understand their emotions, fully realize how weird I look on the outside not speaking, but I can't communicate back since I'm on the other side of this wall...

I don't feel this way so much when I am alone. I do spend a lot of time partially in my head, but I feel connected with the rest of the world most of the time. I think things felt more real when I was younger. Hard to judge and compare though.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 8:12 am

I wanted to use that very image in a PSA (Public Service Announcement) I was thinking about doing for a school assignment. But my own glass wall got in the way of being able to express my idea and form a team to make it happen.

Sunny55
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Sep 2012, 8:15 am

I have felt like this all my adult life. It is as if the 'real' world is a hair's breadth away from me, but when I try to reach out and touch it, it recedes. I had put this down to my being lonely and to having no family, but perhaps it goes deeper than this. I have tried to hard to join the world, by studying, joining groups etc but always feel behind glass. There are odd occasions when I connect to someone, but usually I feel so alone.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 12:31 pm

Oh yes, I do feel as if I am trapped behind glass, although I wasn't conscious of this feeling until I graduated high school and started college.

Didn't Donna Williams once talk about feeling like she was "watching the world from behind glass" in one of her autobiographies?

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 12:36 pm

I feel as though I'm underwater most of the time while most people live on dry land (water being my mind/imagination/my own world I guess). I differ from the little mermaid in that I'm actually comfortable where I am and wish people would stop trying to drag me out of the water, but at the same time I'm isolated there and wouldn't mind being able to make short trips on land more easily. Um, don't know if that makes sense at all or if I just got lost in my metaphor...

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 12:59 pm

Mindsigh wrote:
I wanted to use that very image in a PSA (Public Service Announcement) I was thinking about doing for a school assignment. But my own glass wall got in the way of being able to express my idea and form a team to make it happen.

I saw something very similar in a pharmaceutical trial commercial for AS. The message seemed to be to give your kids experimental meds, and suddenly the walls would disintegrate and they would suddenly join in. It was so simplified it ticked me off.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 1:03 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
Mindsigh wrote:

I saw something very similar in a pharmaceutical trial commercial for AS. The message seemed to be to give your kids experimental meds, and suddenly the walls would disintegrate and they would suddenly join in. It was so simplified it ticked me off.

Oh jeez...yeah, that ticks me off, too, just from reading about it. :?

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Sep 2012, 1:18 pm

LtlPinkCoupe wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:
Mindsigh wrote:

I second that "ticking off"

AQ: 36

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 4:40 pm

I have had problems with depersonalization since puberty. It never seem to go away, but it does ebb and flow a bit.

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Sep 2012, 5:40 pm

I sometimes daydream I'm in the middle of a crowd and I'm screaming my lung out "HEEELP" like a psycho, and people would keep on walking as if nothing happened. It's not that they are not listening, they are not "hearing" me.

Or yelling at someone to stop and he would still go on, pretending not to hear (and i'm forced to hit them so they would aknowledge my presence).

I'm imagining those because I think I experienced similar situations in real as a kid, but they were so traumatic that I "occulted" them. I somehow experience it as an adult... people don't "hear" me, and asking for help is useless for instance.

I heard it's typical of autism.

Nightturtle
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Sep 2012, 5:49 pm

"Behind a glass screen" is exactly the words I used to describe myself at my diagnosis interview. Sometimes the the screen is thicker, sometimes it's cloudier, it depends on my health and stress levels.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2012, 7:15 pm

Feeling my way along an invisible wall

Looking for a doorway in this Hall

seeking exits all along-I am always finding

rooms containing the masks I am wearing

Seeing those outside this place

but can they ever see through

all the masks my face is hiding

Overhead in a blue sky I watch clouds go by

lost ever deeper in a glass labyrinth.

03/18/2012

Sincerely,
Matthew

legomyego
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2012, 12:22 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxAI2Y3XhZA[/youtube]

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 4:54 pm

iceveela wrote:
LtlPinkCoupe wrote:
MjrMajorMajor wrote:
Mindsigh wrote:

I second that "ticking off"

This was for adults--more of a