Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Merceile
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Sep 2012, 7:21 am

I am working different jobs and I tend to get fired, mostly without reason and sometimes I just don't understand it.

So I had this temp thing which was basically filing - my boss was a bit of an as*hole, he was always tellling sexist or racist jokes and teasing just about anybody. Once we had to clean out and dispose of a whole room of files, like 800 kg or something and he was teasing me that it would do me some good because I could lose some weight. I answered him he should stay and help then (cause the guy was seriously overweight). So he laughed and clapped on my shoulder.
I also got a lot of teasing because I speak another dialect than my coworkers, mine is considered to be a bit of a hick dialect. I had one foreign coworker though I was often working with. So one day I was explaining something to said coworker but he didn't get it, so I explained it to him in his native tongue. Then I heard my boss shout that we should talk in (insert local dialect which I didn't speak here) - and I shouted back "But boss I can't, you know I don't even speak ... " So my boss got completly furious and shouted at me that I should apologize ect?
So that comment might not have been funny.. and we were behind schedule ect.. but seriously? He talked to me the next day and said I had an attitude problem and he didn't like my tone and well I lost that job. I kind of guess it wasn't really my fault, he had a bit of a temper and while I was ok with the teasing I really didn't do well with the being shouted at. So I am actually relived I lost that one. It's just weird..

I once lost a job because apparenly a female coworker felt harrassed by me, the sexually was implied but not directly mentioned. I am female myself an mostly straight, I don't touch people and I rarely look at them so wtf? Ok I tried to make an effort and be more social with coworkers (cause it had been critizised before) but that was trying to make smalltalk in the break room. There was no contact whatsoever after work. I really wanted to know what it was that I did, but I only got the "you know very well what you did don't even try to make excues. " So I don't make that effort anymore, since it seemed to creep people out. :)

Have any of you had similar experiences?

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 9:41 am

I'm from MD but when I worked in MA I had a southern accent and they thought I rode around with a Confederate flag and pledged allegence to Jefferson Davis. I sometimes played it up.

I think in the example, maybe next time talk to him 1 on 1.

saraip
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Sep 2012, 3:43 pm

The situation you describe seems quite complex, but I wonder if you could go back to your bosses and ask precisely why you were fired? I'm not sure if that would help you to understand the situation a bit better, or whether it is even possible.
In any case, I hope you find a job that you really enjoy - it is better to have a job that you like!