Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 1:20 pm

I was always really good in school whenever I had to write something. I almost never make any grammar errors, and can immediately spot them if I read a text. I also have a really good, fluent style if I try. I taught myself to read with about 4 and I also read really fast. Do you have good verbal skills?

KaminariNoKage
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Sep 2012, 1:38 pm

Verbal skills, yes.
Writing skills, yes.
Communication skills, no.
And the later is the only one people ever seem to care about.

japan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2012, 2:02 pm

I'm pretty good at reading for a group of people. I can speak loudly and clearly. I'm pretty bad at communicating with another person. If I look into their eyes, I completely lose my place. I also have a lot of trouble with prosody (I can't convey things properly with rhythm, pitch of speech etc.).

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2012, 6:41 pm

I've written extremely well all my life, and have an abnormally large vocabulary. there are days I can barely order food, though.

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression

cooldryplace
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Sep 2012, 8:02 pm

Aspies have good attention to detail. It's my only skill.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 8:10 pm

Yes I have great verbal skills and a large vocabulary. It helps that I do crosswords a few times a week. I like to write as well and in elementary school my poems and stories were featured in the school newsletter. I still write poems once in awhile. In college I liked when we had to write our own version of Dante's Inferno. :twisted:

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 10:55 pm

I have mediocre verbal skills. My verbal skills are nothing special. My fiction writing is bester than my other writing. It has a moar interesting style.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 9:30 am

btbnnyr wrote:
I have mediocre verbal skills. My verbal skills are nothing special. My fiction writing is bester than my other writing. It has a moar interesting style.

I enjoy reading your posts. You have one of the "moast" interesting ways of spelling. Very you-nique. :lol:

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 9:32 am

Genius level verbal, average everything else, according to this year's neuropsych report.

I would like to sit down and write my novel in one go, but would have to be absolutely undisturbed for 72 hours to write it (it's practically busting out of my head as I type this... flood of ideas, carrying a wave of insight!) I just can't get started because I fear being interrupted and losing it all.

OP have you written any major works (more than a short story)? I'd love to read work from someone on the spectrum! :)

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 9:34 am

kirayng wrote:
OP have you written any major works (more than a short story)? I'd love to read work from someone on the spectrum! :)

Uh.. I actually have a bunch of ideas in my head that I would very much like to write down. However I'm usually too lazy to do it, or I start and think it's too bad. Maybe one day I'll manage to really write something.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 9:36 am

Sanctus wrote:
kirayng wrote:

Uh.. I actually have a bunch of ideas in my head that I would very much like to write down. However I'm usually too lazy to do it, or I start and think it's too bad. Maybe one day I'll manage to really write something.

Do you have ADHD or GAD? I have both and it makes writing a monstrously difficult task sometimes, and others it just flows out of me. Funny to love something you have a hard time actually sitting down doing. EEk that was awkward phrasing (shut the bleep up, inner critic!) 8)

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 9:38 am

kirayng wrote:
Sanctus wrote:
kirayng wrote:

Do you have ADHD or GAD? I have both and it makes writing a monstrously difficult task sometimes, and others it just flows out of me. Funny to love something you have a hard time actually sitting down doing. EEk that was awkward phrasing (shut the bleep up, inner critic!) 8)

Yup, ADHD. Yeah it's a pain.

Another thing is that it feels weird to put my thoughts on paper. I see it all in my head, but then I have to "force" it into words somehow and it feels like that makes it loose all meaning.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 10:06 am

Sanctus wrote:
kirayng wrote:
Sanctus wrote:
kirayng wrote:

Yup, ADHD. Yeah it's a pain.

Another thing is that it feels weird to put my thoughts on paper. I see it all in my head, but then I have to "force" it into words somehow and it feels like that makes it loose all meaning.

So know what you mean there! I call my mental panorama "concept soup" for that reason.