Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

How well do you cope with being patronised?
Can't STAND being patronised!! ! Argh! 63%  63%  [ 35 ]
Really really don't like being patronised. 21%  21%  [ 12 ]
Dislike being patronised, but perhaps there's a reason. 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Doesn't really bother me. 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Not a problem at all, it spurs amusement/pity etc. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I've never been patronised/It's usually justified. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Don't Know/Show me the Votes 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 56

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2022, 4:48 am

It’s a real pain in the butt being patronized. I feel angry and hostile when this happens.

I try to move on if this happens. To cogitate over this is useless.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2022, 6:13 am

It didn't and doesn't bother me, much like most things when it comes to negative human behaviors directed at me.

(It didn't and doesn't really happen often anyway.)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2022, 9:28 am

It bothers me a great deal. It lowers my opinion of the person who's treating me that way.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 2:12 pm

I can feel robbed if it's a hit-and-run job, but if there's dialogue, I do a Dunning-Kruger case study, and see if I can elicit assertions that are more generally considered absurd. Having physical proof that my thinking works well helps me not take things personally.
On a BBS for car nuts, there is one prolific fool who only knows one basic rule and applies it to everything he sees, quite oblivious to the thousand exceptions to his rule. So I know that there are people who can only see my clothes, but have strong opinions about their meaning that I have never heard.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 5:27 pm

Yeah, I can relate to the OP. I straight out say 'yes, I know that' and they ignore and continue to explain very basic things to me like I'm stupid.

A colleague once showed me how to use a mouse! :lol: He knew I'm capable of using it, as he'd seen me work at a PC in an office nextdoor.

It doesn't help that I look and sound really young. Add to that the racist assumption some make about people of colour being thick.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 4:54 am

It rarely happens to me these days, being retired and relatively free of people who have the power to make my life a misery if I don't appease them. And even when I had a job, the bosses generally didn't patronise much.

I'm very egalitarian and strongly dislike it when anybody assumes they're smarter than I am unless it's about a specific skill where they can demonstrate their superiority. So as I'm relatively free to choose who I spend time with, if anybody starts acting like a leader without just cause, I label them as having a poor regard for equality and shut them out of my life. I might call them out for it if I'm in the mood for sport, but mostly I just avoid having anything to do with them.