Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Marshmallows
Raven
Raven

05 Sep 2012, 6:18 pm

Do you ever get the urge to bite things?

Sometimes when I'm stressed rather than fidgeting with my fidget I'll bite it.. and I noticed I often will clench my teeth when I'm stressed.

other times when I'm not stressed I'll bite BFG.. just cause I feel like it (and know he doesn't care it's not like CHOMP hard bite it's more like nip 'hello' lol) but I find biting things somewhat comforting..

is that weird? (not that weird is bad.. but I feel weird about myself a lot anyway.. )

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2012, 6:31 pm

I don't do this very often, but when he was younger my brother (also an aspie) was nicknamed "Jaws" by the workers in his daycare...lol

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression

singularity
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2012, 6:51 pm

I like to bite too....I don't do it when I'm stressed, but with people or things when I'm feeling....pleased? happy? sort of excited? I used to bite my twin sister when I was little. My mum actually bit me in an attempt to end that behaviour.

Marshmallows
Raven
Raven

05 Sep 2012, 6:57 pm

I do it with the "pleased, happy, excited" feelings too.. When I bite BFG I'm usually in a good mood and have lots of happy feelings I don't know what to do with so I bite him instead? I think.

I don't think I do it when I'm hypomanic though ( I have bipolar disorder) but my heads going to fast then so I don't always remember things anyway.

my twin and I used to bite each other.. but I think we did it meanly we don't let anyone else pick on the other one but boy did/do we have some epic battles..

I don't think I'd be called "jaws" though. hehe.

glad I'm not alone in this.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 7:03 pm

sometimes I get the urge to bite things. one time I was swimming in a pool and I took a big bite out of a pool noodle.

idratherbeatree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2012, 7:05 pm

I bite myself a lot. Wrist of ringers mostly.

Marshmallows
Raven
Raven

05 Sep 2012, 7:12 pm

oh gosh that texture must have been horrible! I'd probably freak out a tiny bit if that feeling got in my mouth (pool noodles) I'm particular on textures.

I bite my knuckles sometimes. if my fidgets are not around and I'm really getting anxious about something.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 7:17 pm

Nah, not that weird. For an NT, maybe, but not for an NT kid or any autistic. They actually sell those chewy tube things as stim toys for people who like to bite stuff.

Just don't bite anybody hard enough to hurt, or bite anybody you don't know for sure will be okay with it. And don't chew on anything that's poisonous or particularly dirty. You don't want to get sick.

I bite my own skin sometimes. I don't break the skin, though. If you do, be aware that a human mouth has a lot of germs in it, and you need to clean any injuries very thoroughly and put antiseptic on them. Biting hard enough to break your skin is probably one of the stims that you should work on redirecting, because of the risk of infection.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Marshmallows
Raven
Raven

05 Sep 2012, 8:29 pm

Huh I did not know that.
(about the chew tube things or that a lot of autistic people bite)

Oh goodness. I can't bite dirty things. for some reason if anything gets in my mouth that i perceive as germy my tongue gets tingly but I think thats in my head or something but it's always been like that I used to have a lot of issues touching things that I thought were germy.

thank you for the info .

questor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 8:57 pm

On very rare occasions, when stressed, I have bitten myself, but not hard enough to break the skin. And yes, mouths are very germy places, as another poster mentioned, so do clean any bite caused skin breaks.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 11:20 pm

Be extremely careful. I had the urge to bite things all of my life, and my dentist said that I have enough wear on my teeth to resemble that of a 50 year old. He even told me I may need crowns in a few more years if I continue.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 11:36 pm

Sometimes I feel the urge to bite when I'm angry....and sometimes when I WAS angry, I would bite myself on the hand or arm (I used to self - injure). I decided that at least it was better than biting the person who made me mad in the first place. I don't do that anymore, tho.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 1:29 am

I never bite people (nor do I wish to) but I do put lots of things in my mouth. These would be things like battery covers for remote controls, straws, pens, and almost anything plastic I happen to have next to me.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 1:32 am

I sometimes use my front teeth to test the hardness of something

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

07 Sep 2012, 2:32 am

I am such a biter. I bite my fingers and arms when stressed or sometimes when happy. Sometimes I bite my fidgets, depending on the fidget. Ruined a pack of postcards once because my fidget of the day snapped during use. I didn't realize I'd started chewing on the pack of postcards until it was way too late to save them.

Actually, I also use biting to express affection.

I won't bite just anything though. Wood pencils are no good, likewise anything that will come apart or flake in my mouth. Ew! Other things I'll hold in my teeth, but not chew on, because I find it soothing, but I don't want to destroy it. Like my good pens.