Flummox and Friends: A quirky comedy for quirky kids

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Sep 2012, 7:41 pm

I wanted to let everyone know about a new TV show specifically for kids on the autism spectrum, Flummox and Friends, coming to the internet September 17.

Flummox and Friends is an offbeat, live-action comedy designed to help kids navigate the social and emotional world. Viewers will join Professor Gideon T. Flummox and his friends as they put their minds to work creating inventions that help them understand the most perplexing scientific mystery of all: other people! Inspired by Pee Wee’s Playhouse, The Big Bang Theory, and the original Electric Company, Flummox and Friends lets families talk about social and emotional challenges as they watch and laugh together.

The show is targeted to elementary school age children who are struggling socially or emotionally, with or without a diagnosis of autism or a related condition. A key difference of Flummox and Friends from typical children’s educational programming is its message of acceptance of the kids who watch, with no expectation that they need to change who they are. The pilot episode was recently filmed thanks to a successful Kickstarter fundraising campaign. The creators hope to produce more episodes and bring the show to the air in many potential outlets, including cable TV, online, and DVD.

On September 17th, you can visit flummoxandfriends.com to watch the pilot for free. You can watch it online, or download a copy to watch anytime on your computer or iPad.

I am thrilled to have contributed an animated short to the pilot, based on my characters from my blog, Dude, I'm An Aspie. This is a groundbreaking show that is also laugh-out-loud funny, and I know your whole family will love it. Please spread the word, and tune in on the 17th!

Until then, enjoy the teaser below.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaB0fYrFBRI&feature=plcp[/youtube]

zette
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 4:55 am

Looking forward to it. Please post again to remind us on sept 17!

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2012, 6:28 pm

zette wrote:
Looking forward to it. Please post again to remind us on sept 17!

Of course!

Autinger
Toucan
Toucan

06 Sep 2012, 6:40 pm

I'm really all for more autism awareness and that sort of stuff,

but did someone else find them talking over each other to be REALLLLLLLY annoying to a point I would have closed if it it wasn't with the preknowledge of it being about autism?

I'm not entirely sure which point they were trying to make with that. I guess it was exactly what happened to me, getting overloaded.

BUT, If the chick is supposed to be NT, and the guy "the autist", and this clip was supposed to be about how the "autist" ignored what the girl initially said and then went on talking about his own stuff, while the girl was talking finishing with "aren't we good friends", then I don't think I like where this is going.

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Sep 2012, 9:31 pm

Autinger wrote:
I'm really all for more autism awareness and that sort of stuff,

but did someone else find them talking over each other to be REALLLLLLLY annoying to a point I would have closed if it it wasn't with the preknowledge of it being about autism?

I'm not entirely sure which point they were trying to make with that. I guess it was exactly what happened to me, getting overloaded.

Both characters are a bit spectrum-ey, talking without listening. And yeah, if I were in the room trying to listen to both, I'd be putting my fingers in my ears too.

EB
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2012, 9:42 pm

The clips looks like to people on the spectrum monologuing at each other and too involved with what they are saying that they don't notice the other isn't listening, but assume they are. That's my take on it.

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2012, 8:44 pm

New trailer:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ0n0nJBBps[/youtube]

Autinger
Toucan
Toucan

09 Sep 2012, 9:16 pm

greenturtle74 wrote:
New trailer:

^^ VIDEO ^^ ABOVE! ^^

Much, much better! Gentle voice explaining what's going on, no loud noises. (Although from 00.38 it lost me with showing those pictures only a milisecond and then shows people being all riled up and dancing for reasons I don't know, well there was a cake, I'll give them that).

Looks like they they're paying attention though.

Also.. -corky- kids and their parents?

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2012, 11:10 am

It's here! Click to watch the show: http://flummoxandfriends.com/watch-the-show/

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Sep 2012, 7:20 pm

Hey, if you haven't watched yet, here is the full episode. Hearing lots of great feedback!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU77Z354hPI[/youtube]