Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2012, 11:51 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
I know that vaccines can cause high fevers in some kids, and that high fevers can cause brain damage at times, so I assume that some people eitehr confuse the brain damage for autism, or the fact that the kid just coincidentally started showng symptoms around the time they were vaccinated is what started that rumor.

My son always got fevers after he get one and he would act differently after that; less active, more crying. Then he would snap out of it when his fever go away.

I do believe it was a coincidence when the symptoms start to show and the parents blamed it on the vaccine.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 6:11 am

League_Girl wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
I know that vaccines can cause high fevers in some kids, and that high fevers can cause brain damage at times, so I assume that some people eitehr confuse the brain damage for autism, or the fact that the kid just coincidentally started showng symptoms around the time they were vaccinated is what started that rumor.

My son always got fevers after he get one and he would act differently after that; less active, more crying. Then he would snap out of it when his fever go away.

I do believe it was a coincidence when the symptoms start to show and the parents blamed it on the vaccine.

it would require the most extreme of fevers, at that point one should hospitalize a child anyway.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 8:12 am

Oodain wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

it would require the most extreme of fevers, at that point one should hospitalize a child anyway.

Actually they aren't that extreme. My youngest son would spike a fever of 105 easily when he was a toddler. If he were to have had that for a longer period of time, he could sustain brain damage. Also, some kids have febrile seizures when their temp spikes rapidly, and those can cause problems to, although they rarely do.

They do not put a kid in the hospital for a very high fever unless they cannot bring it down in the ER.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 3:48 pm

http://voices.yahoo.com/new-study-shows-link-between-mmr-vaccine-autism-11786825.html?cat=25

Part of the problem with perceptions and vaccination rates in the UK, is the Daily mail that continuously misleads the public to believe that this research was published yesterday, instead of 2002, when it was actually published. The Daily Mail never provides the opportunity for people to comment and correct the date of the article, but folks that pick it up in the US, and copy it to popular media homepages like Yahoo, in the link above thankfully have the opportunity to comment and clarify. The research was not disputed like Wakefield's research, but it only showed a loose correlation with the autoimmune system of children with autism and the measles virus, that is described well in the comment in the article that clarifies the date.

Meanwhile the article continuously is copied across various media outlets around the world, linking the Daily Mail, as the source cited, that misinforms the date of the research from everyone reading the article, in leaving the original statement in the article from 10 years ago that this research was done yesterday. The Daily mail has also done the same thing with associated research from Walker in the US from 2006 that was never published. The Daily Mail plays a role, in why the vaccination rates have dropped in the UK.

The problems with the media are actually greater than the research done by Wakefield, as it only suggested that further research should be done to explore a possible association, while these other articles make it sound like new research replicating the concerns is being done on almost a continuous basis, though it is the replication of the same research in the Daily Caller over the course of a decade.

Unfortunately, I was able to find a few less popular sources in the US, replicating the recent Daily Caller article, that also did not provide the public an ability to comment and clarify the fact that the research was 10 years old.

So, pretty much anytime of the year, when one does a search on the MMR vaccine and Autism they are going to come up with a fairly recent article sourced from the Daily Mail, with this kind of misleading information.

It's a drawback and danger of the internet as TV and radio talk show hosts would not be able to get away with something as outrageous like this in the US. It's scary to think that some people's main source of what's going on in the larger world might be Yahoo, but it is for some. That danger is full illustrated in the link above, particularly for those that don't read down far enough in the comments for a clarification from those in the know.

PlantLover
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Oct 2012, 9:30 pm

Glad my mom can't see what I post here. She wouldn't be too happy with my views on this stuff.

My mom said that vaccines triggered my AS :roll: . What does she have to say about my little sister then, who it turns out has the same personality that I have? I do admit that at age five she's quite a handful, but she's completely unvaccinated. The debate's still out there for me; I'm currently not up-to-date until I do more research for myself.

Vaccine theory is very sound to me, and the only problem I can see with them is how they're created. I'm not talking about the mercury preservative. Many viruses for vaccines, if I'm correct, are incubated in chicken eggs as a medium to replicate in. They're then extracted and heated to kill them before making a vaccine out of them. It's the proteins on the inert viruses that your body identifies and makes antibodies against. Considering the uses of eggs in this process (if I'm correct), I can see how this can be an allergy problem for some individuals. Allergens can sometimes exacerbate the symptoms of comorbids (from my own experience), so I can see how this can be a possible issue for others, too.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2012, 5:07 am

but then it wouldnt really be the cause of anything, it would only worsen somethign already there,

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

oxjox
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Nov 2012, 7:10 pm

Hello, some posters have already mad good arguments here, but for those who haven't heard of the book Autism's False Prophets by Paul Offit, I recommend it. It totally explains the science behind vaccines and how the public opinion is affected by communication of that science (good or bad). Good book.

ShamelessGit
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 9:38 pm

Ganondox wrote:
The poll was even worse. The most popular option actually believed there was a connection. I feel the world falling apart before my eyes.

Probably people who think that it is a ridiculous question did not bother to take the survey

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2012, 11:24 pm

Yes there is obviously a selection bias probably to do the survey. Also it is the daily mail I live in the United States and know that is not a reliable source.

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2012, 7:55 pm

The first minute and a half of this says everything you need to know. Even if it was true, who cares. Autism would be worth the cost. But it's not true.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0IvM8c-Pew&feature=watch-vrec[/youtube]

Historian
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Dec 2012, 8:30 pm

Something I wonder about is all the people who are vacinated that don't have autism, what would have caused autism before vacines existed, and the fact that people are born with autism and they get vaccines after they are born.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 11:52 pm

Virginiarw wrote:
Okay, I am very confused on this.

Mercury is bad for you isn't it?

Can someone explain the science here to me?

I agree that people shouldn't be upset about autism. (Whether or not there is a link)

But in general, shouldn't people be concerned about their health in general?

Maybe somebody can explain this to me better?

I can't remember if I changed my tagline (I'll know in a few moments, I suppose), but it once read, "Sodium is a metal that reacts explosively with water. Chlorine is a gas that'll kill you dead in moments. Together they make my fries taste good." (Table salt - sodium chloride.)

Sometimes it's not the individual elements that matter, it's the molecular structure. Oxygen is necessary to life - but if you breathe pure oxygen for too long, it can kill you. On the other hand, oxygen is also one-third of the elements of water - but breathing water will kill you too. It's all about the compound.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 Dec 2012, 3:49 am

Ooccoo

16 Dec 2012, 11:47 am

Dan_Undiagnosed wrote:
The first minute and a half of this says everything you need to know. Even if it was true, who cares. Autism would be worth the cost. But it's not true.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0IvM8c-Pew&feature=watch-vrec[/youtube]

I absolutely love this video, because it's funny but also speaks the truth