Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 6:00 am

Mine just appeared, out of nowhere, this new neighbour seems to have got a job (10-7) that produces some awful razor-like noises... in his flat, below mine!

I can't listen to intelligent discussions on the radio anymore, and neither can I do films or video games... unless I wouldn't mind being in some sensitive scene "oh, how I love thee, dear Jul-- ZRRRRRRRRR!! !"

The only time that silence is guaranteed is at night, so that's when I wake up... but then I can't sleep in the day!

I'm becoming sleep deprived and the only way to block out the noise is to turn on my own music at maximum volume which gives me intense headaches. I'm fantasizing of going down there and using his own tools to take a ride into his brain.

I mean, what possible alternative can anyone have?! This is, apparently, considered a perfectly acceptable noise by society - and the day someone tells me to turn down my music without doing anything about the razors is the day they're taking a hike to fuckland.

My existence is becoming increasingly fragile and desperate! :cry:

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 6:16 am

Mootoo wrote:
I can't listen to intelligent discussions on the radio anymore, ...

There's intelligent conversations on the radio? There's a first.

Headset earphone things plugged into your computer and other devices? They block out external sounds don't they? Noise cancelling earphones when just doing whatever?

BrokenBill
Toucan
Toucan

06 Sep 2012, 6:28 am

Go down to your local work wear/ safety clothing store and buy some foam safety ear plugs, they're cheap as chips.
I'm a shift worker and must sleep at weird hours, like when they're resurfacing the road out front of the house n stuff.
They work great.
Sweet dreams

You are very likely an Aspie

megahertz
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Sep 2012, 6:50 am

Mootoo wrote:
This is, apparently, considered a perfectly acceptable noise by society

Are you sure it is? Maybe the other neighbours feel just as bugged as you do, but everybody is too shy to talk to that man. I suggest you ring his doorbell and ask what causes the noise. If you don't like talking to him directly, put a kind paper note into his letterbox and wait a few days for an answer.
I'd really like to know what he does in his flat...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2012, 7:00 am

Complain to your landlord ( you said that both you and your neighbor live in a 'flat').

There have to be somekind of rules about how much noise a resident can make.

Others residents of the building may be suffering from the noise as much as you.

DrPenguin
Toucan
Toucan

06 Sep 2012, 7:15 am

Several countries have rules about conducting business from a residential property, might be worth looking that up if the talking to him doesn't work. It could be that he just doesn't realise he's making too much noise. Don't think a note will work (most people would resent that, especially certain types of bloke (usually those that love big power tools) but a friendly approach would work on most people. Could try just talking to him and then bring in the curious about the noise, should lead onto a question "like you can hear it??" and then you can add "it's a little loud/annoying/ sounds like shaving a bag of cats".

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 6:43 pm

Mootoo, I'm oversensitive to neighboring noises, I just go into constant meltdown mode.

But I'm lucky that in my country it's forbidden to have a business in a residential building and someone passed me a great tip - rather than calling the police and not getting any help, you have to report them to the municipality for having a workshop that doesn't pay taxes. How do you know that they're not paying tax on their business? Because it's forbidden for the municipality to charge them tax for clandestine business (since having a business in a residential building is forbidden). The municipality will in turn make sure to report them to the Police and get their business closed down, because the municipality wants them to move the business to a place where they CAN charge tax. So when a neighbor starts a noisy business, it usually takes 1 call from me to the municipality and the noise ends within hours. That's how fast the municipality acts when their money-making is concerned. They simply call or visit the neighbor and tell them to move the business immediately or they'll send the Police.