Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

NOC3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Sep 2012, 12:14 am

So as a child and throughout my teens I was very active in creating music and art. I would paint, draw and sculpt and my work always impressed teachers and peers alike. Musically I was probably the best guitarist at my highschool and could play and sing well enough to make petty cash performing at small coffee shops and whatnot.

Then college came around and life pretty much screwed me over in every sense. I didn't get into the music program at the university because I couldn't read music. So I attended a community college to try to get my prerequisite courses out of the way and only dropped out after 4 years of flailing. I've pretty much stopped making visual art entirely and musically I've stagnated as well and haven't been really practicing or playing musically. I still pick up my guitar all the time but I'm just playing the same old s**t.

Instead of doing schoolwork I got into building musical effects pedals and amps and have made some money with it but I cant see myself going much deeper or really creating anything new. I'm no EE and even if I studied electrical engineering, I doubt I could have any hold on the market.

I eventually self taught myself to read music but still really slowly and have trouble thinking about the notes as letters because of mild synesthesia and I've always played by ear.

I was only recently diagnosed at 25 years old.

I feel stuck. I would like to start creating again but nothing I can conjure seems relevant or unique. Whenever I get motivated enough to try practicing I feel like a dumb ass after the fact for thinking I could possibly get good enough for anything besides playing in my bedroom.

I occasionally get the urge to draw or paint but cant even think of what to draw or paint. I can't just "doodle" or make arbitrary designs.

Its easier than ever to get yourself "out there" but its harder than ever to to cut through the noise and make any real difference....or even a living.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 1:32 am

I don't think it is easier... I mean... you need the knowledge and the know-how.
Sure even young musicians make it in the industry, but there's so much going on behind them that it looks simple.
It's never too late. If you really want to be something like that, then I think you could.
I think you need the motivation... because I can tell you have the desire. :)

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."

A_floating_moon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Sep 2012, 6:55 am

I often feel this way as well and I have no great advice on how to get out of this mess. I'm actually managing to do art now, but I don't know how long the inspiration will last. It's something very new to me though, an art-form I hadn't previously tried. So.. maybe try something completely new and different? Something that will get your curiosity going and inspire you. Once you begin working on something, avoid looking at or listening to other people's work so you don't get discouraged.

FJP
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Sep 2012, 7:59 am

My story parallels yours in many ways, including stompbox building, (our paths might have crossed over at DIYstompboxes or Freestompboxes)
Last year at this time I had all but givin up on doing anything with my music. I had sold my Telecaster, and my Blues Jr. I figured I would just play my lap steel guitar on my porch through my practice amp and that would be the extent of my musical career. It's almost one year later and I played out all summer and made some decent cash, and had a ball and my chops have never been better. ( Ok, maybe when I was 20 they were a little better, but now I have better taste :D )

First, get into a band or group. This was very tough for me, as I don't like bars, and or partys. ( unless of course I am getting paid to play them) I don't "Hang out". It also doesn't help that I am "akward". I started making connections with musicains when I put some of my pedals in a local guitar shop. (I didn't sell many pedals) . Long story short(er) a guy I met from the pedal thing came out to my house to have me check out his amp that wasn't working. He seen my lap steels and ask about them, and the next thing you know we have some gigs booked. ( I bought another Tele. I play about 50/ 50 lap steel and guitar)

Second, when you're in a musical rut. Shake things up. Try a new tuning, a new instruments, a new style. Even if it's not your thing you will get something from it. I got to the point were guitar wasn't inspiring me anymore, and that's when I took up the lap steel.

On the subject of being good enough. One thing I have learned from all of this is I didn't need near the chops I thought I did to play out.

In short. Try something new, Network and meet people, Don't be so hard on yourself.

NOC3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Sep 2012, 8:05 pm

I've been trying to find people to play music with for over a year and a half. My city sucks for art and music because its so corporate, there are big venues but the local scene is dead.

craigslist ads haven't gotten any responses.

I'm also fairly isolated living at my parents place in the suburbs...