Alex Plank--What the @#$% is this crap?

Page 6 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 8:51 am

I hope the OP realizes that Alex designed this site.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 8:51 am

Guys, this would be a good time to take a deep breath and apologize to each other, because at this point, you both owe a apology and you both deserve one! (I don't see an appropriate smiley to put here. I want one that looks compassionate and forgiving)

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 8:57 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I hope the OP realizes that Alex designed this site.

I suspect yes.

I think a pm would have been nice.

Underscore
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 9:07 am

Ganondox wrote:
Nonperson wrote:
alex wrote:
He is often used as a gender neutral pronoun. I'm surprised there are people ignorant of a grammatical convention that's been around since the 18th century (or earlier).

Because nothing from the 18th century is sexist.

This convention is not acceptable today and if you choose not to change it you are choosing to alienate a good number of female readers.

It is acceptable, you are just being ridiculous. Be thankful that English lacks true grammatical gender. This is why feminists aren't being taken seriously.

I don't want to involve myself in this in any way. But I have to say to this: no. Nonperson is right, how you word yourself today is very important, you have to change a lot of tradition. We have the same problem in Norway, but we use "han/hun", you should use he/she, and maybe use she in some contexts to balance the use of he. It is very important for the sake of upheaving the social inbalance in society. You should also be aware of implementing women's status whenever you are talking about men's status if you're talking about a general issue in society. Also important.

But I won't blame anyone in this context. It seems a bit overdramatized.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 9:22 am

lyricalillusions wrote:
The word "he" is often used instead of repetitively using "he or she" etc. I highly doubt any offense was meant by it.
I'm female, too.

No, in this case the author clearly just ment the boys, because so far I'm informend 1 in 54 boys is diagnosed and 1 in 88 children. So the numbers differ and the author is refering to the number of boys diagnosed and continues with "he".

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 9:52 am

Raziel wrote:
lyricalillusions wrote:
The word "he" is often used instead of repetitively using "he or she" etc. I highly doubt any offense was meant by it.
I'm female, too.

No, in this case the author clearly just ment the boys, because so far I'm informend 1 in 54 boys is diagnosed and 1 in 88 children. So the numbers differ and the author is refering to the number of boys diagnosed and continues with "he".

The thing is the use of he is not related to the choice of statistic. Alex already explained what he meant, it's really just a coincidence that he referenced boys and continued to use he. He did not mean just boys.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 10:14 am

Dirtdigger wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
LostInSpace wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
Delphiki wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:

But if a person does the math a lot more boys have autism than girls.

Autism in girls:
1 in 34

Autism in boys
1 in 54

Do you know math?

What a stupid question. Does 34 and 54 adds up to 88? And is the 1 in each group included? So, lets not get smart and try to understand what's going on here.

Yeah... that's not how averages work. This is how you compute an average of two numbers:

(Number1 + Number2) / 2

If 1/54 boys had AS and 1/34 girls had it, then the average of all children would be between 1 in 54 and 1 in 34, hardly 1 in 88. By my calculation (assuming equal numbers of boys and girls), 11/459 children would have it, or slightly more than 1 in 42. Also, it would be much more common in girls if that were the case (1/34 is more common than 1/54).

I didn't catch that in the article. So you are right. Someone else made a booboo too besides me who simply didn't catch the discrepency. So I divided 2 into 88 since there is one from the girl group and one from the boy group and come up with 44 if there were equal numbers of boys and girls.

NONONONONONO! Bad Dirtdigger! No math for you! If 1/88 people had had autism and the rates are the same than 1/88 boys have autism and 1/88 girls.

Now it's time to do some REAL math. Frequency is essentially the same as probability. The rest is between 0 and 1, 0 means no one and 1 means everyone. 1 in 5 is 1/5, if the top number is larger compared to another ration with the same bottom it's more frequent, if the bottom is larger it's less fequent. To calculate the frequency in a particular group you need to divide those in the group with the condition by the total amount of people in the group. Frequency of people with autism (FP[A]) is People with autism (P[A]) divided by everyone (P), so FP[A] = P[A]/P. Likewise, for boys FB[A] = B[A]/B, and for girls FG[A] = G[A]/G. For the Sake of the problem everyone is either a boy or a girl, so P = B + G and P[A] = B[A] + G[A]. Using basic algebra by multiplying FP[A] by P you get P[A].

For our first problem, let's assume FP[A] = 1/88 and FB[A] = FG[A]. Let's call that number x. Using math we can get that P[A] = B[A] + G[A] = xB + xG = x(B + G) = xP, x = xP/P = P[A]/P = FP[A] = 1/88. Thus 1 in 88 boys would have autism, and 1 in 88 girls would have autism.

Now let's solve for FG[A] assuming FB[A] = 1/55 (the math is easier with 1/55 than 1/54) and FP[A] = 1/88. Now, to calculate the frequency of being both a girl and having autism (FP[G&A]) we use G[A]/P. G[A] is the same as G&A which is the same A&G which is the same as A[G]. To get G[A]/P we just need (P[A]/P) - (B[A]/P], which is FP[A] - FP[B&A]. FP[B&A] = FB[A] * (B/P), and FG[A] = FP[G&A]/(G/P) = (FP[A] - FP[B&A])/(G/P) = [(P/88) - P(FB[A]*[B/P])]/G = ([P/88] - [B/55])/G = (P/88G) - (B/55G). If we assume B = G then P = 2G so FG[A] = (2/88) - (1/55) = (1/44) - (1/55) = (1/[4 * 11]) - (1/[5 * 11]) = (5/[ 4 * 5 * 11]) - (4/[ 4 * 5 * 11]) = (5 - 4)/220 = 1/220. Thus approximately 1 in 220 girls has autism. I believe that actual number is far higher, but whatever.

Another fool that is quick to judge and lack the understanding who haven't read all of my posts including the article. I'm not taking the blame for this crap in this article. And knock off the math crap too. I know I'm not good in math so quit throwing it up in my face!. So of you people who pride yourselves in going in for the kill when there is a weakness shows just how unsympathic, with no empathy what so ever you are. I'm only generalizing as if there were 44 boys and 44 girls.

I MADE D'S AND F'S IN MATH. ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?

The article has absolutely nothing to do with how to calculate the figures. If you were so bad at math then why did you go ahead and be so arrogant with proclaiming your mathematical abilities and insult other people when they point out your math makes no sense? The statistic isn't worded badly, that's how they always word things and it really makes perfect sense.

And why are you being such an ass about my weakness when you could have approach me in a more intelligent way. DID I SAY MORE INTELLIGENT? Like I said if you read all of my posts I admitted that I made a mistake. What more do you want? So shut up and crawl back in your hole. And why didn't you see that I was only trying to simplify things with the 44 boys and 44 girls though it isn't perfect. And I gaurantee you aren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination. I can see just how unsympathetic some Aspies are toward others. You are the one that started in on me, just remember that because you didn't have any brains to deal with the situation properly. I hope this thread gets locked.

WOULDN'T YOU KNOW. A 16 YEAR OLD PUNK THAT EXPLAINS WHY HE IS BEING OBNOXIOUS AND ABOVE EVERYONE ELSE.

Why are you being such a hypocrite? You were an ass from the very beginning, when some one pointed out that your math didn't make sense you called their question stupid and said " So, lets not get smart and try to understand what's going on here.", essentially implying that you knew what you were talking about and the other person was an idiot. Your explanation about making two groups of 44 really didn't make any sense and I thought you were saying that if the rate was 1/88 and boys and girls had the same rate than 1/44 boys and girls have an ASD, I see what you meant now. The whole "Bad Dirtdigger" thing was just in jest, I wasn't meaning anything personal, I wasn't coming to point out your weakness, I was just explaining how to actually solve such a problem. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that, I see how I came now, that was my fault. Now why to you insist on resulting to insults and playing yourself as nothing but a victim here? I'm not perfect, I never said I was perfect, I never implied I was perfect. I was just explaining some math. I've got flaws, and so do you, in more than just math.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 10:23 am

Thread locked. Everyone has expressed themselves and all that is happening now is flaming.