Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 4:46 pm

These threads are useful to find out things and stuff, friends etc

aSKperger
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Sep 2012, 5:10 pm

Dirtdigger wrote:
Because you said you are undiagnosed or at least that is what it says in your profile.

"Have Aspergers - Undiagnosed"

I was not diagnosed, because my parents, teachers, physicians, everyone around knows s**t about autism/aspergers. Not because of my penis. And that's also the case of my best friend - and guess what, she is female.
So if someone had trouble with diagnose, he/she/it may think about other reasons, not just some irrelevant organ below...
because it indicates
thefreedictionary wrote:
obsession:
1. Compulsive preoccupation with a fixed idea or an unwanted feeling or emotion, often accompanied by symptoms of anxiety.
2. A compulsive, often unreasonable idea or emotion.

:wink:

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 5:27 pm

aSKperger wrote:
I was not diagnosed, because my parents, teachers, physicians, everyone around knows sh** about autism/aspergers. Not because of my penis. And that's also the case of my best friend - and guess what, she is female.

I'm confused- did someone on here say you weren't diagnosed because you're male? That wouldn't make any sense anyway. Problems of underdiagnosis are much worse for women. Men are more likely to be recognized as Asperger's/autistic.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 6:42 pm

Mike_Garrick wrote:

Though shouldn't you be more outraged about the children getting thrown out of school?

One would think, right?

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 6:54 pm

And could someone please show me how to do the math? Because if 1:88 kids in has autism and 1:54 of them are boys, wouldn't it stand to reason that the number of girls is bigger than 1:88? Is the answer 1:122 girls has autism? Or can you only rightfully figure it out if you have the n for boys and the n for girls?

I know that's not the point, but I can't figure it out and now I am stuck.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 7:08 pm

Well, You know this is a classical ASD symptom most of you are displaying here. Which is seeing a single tree instead of the Entire Forest. He is talking about autism in general, & the harsh backwards attitudes existant in France & some other European countries. It was not meant to be sexist.
And more males are dxd wit ASDs than are females. It might be an oversight, but generally, that has always been the case.

Sincerely,
Matthew

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 7:25 pm

aSKperger wrote:
XFilesGeek - like someone pointed out, it is more powerful to pick just these numbers for propagandistic reasons. Or Alex didn't remember how many girls are there, or whatever. I am sure as hell if he pointed out girls only, no single man would complain. Do you know why...? :wink:

I'm absolutely sure that they would.

Quote:
and kid = he? In my opinion, Alex used it because it is more natural than "it".If you ask me about my friend, i hear "male friend". Women hear "female friend". It is natural. I have male eyes and ears, they have female.

Alex's possible motives aren't relevant.

Quote:
I understand it perfectly.It is just funny how some women have to emphasize that they have vaginas all the time. Why do they think anyone wants to hear that? Why such obsession with few organs?

Because those organs have a major impact in how the world treats you, and, in this case, women face different challenges than men in the area of autism diagnosis.

Issues concerning women are of concern to women; therefore, we respond accordingly. I'm not particularly interested in whether or not a man thinks an issue concerning women is "important" or not.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 7:28 pm

InThisTogether wrote:
And could someone please show me how to do the math? Because if 1:88 kids in has autism and 1:54 of them are boys, wouldn't it stand to reason that the number of girls is bigger than 1:88? Is the answer 1:122 girls has autism? Or can you only rightfully figure it out if you have the n for boys and the n for girls?

I know that's not the point, but I can't figure it out and now I am stuck.

Having severe dyscalculia no math, but:
Quote:
So...are girls with ASDs being missed or overlooked during an evaluation because they have different characteristics than boys? Kopp and colleagues recently published a study in which they examined clinical characteristics of 100 girls, ages 3 to 18 years, with average intellectual abilities who were referred to a child neuropsychiatric clinic for problems with social interactions, attentional or academic difficulties, or tics. Though only 12 of the girls had been diagnosed previously with ASD, ADHD, or a tic disorder, 46 girls met criteria for an ASD based on the findings of the investigators' comprehensive assessment.

In other studies they only show the ratio male/female with ASD, mostly 4/1 or 8/1.

from:http://www.iancommunity.org/cs/articles/girls_with_asd

Other quotation from this text:

Quote:
Summary of Research Findings of Differences between Boys and Girls with ASDs

What follows is a general summary of the above-referenced research. Specific findings may vary depending on the age of the research participants, level of intellectual ability, the type of sample studied (clinic or laboratory), and how skills and behaviors were measured (observed or parent report).

As a group, males with ASD score higher than girls with ASD on intellectual assessments. (This might actually support the notion that higher functioning girls are not being diagnosed and included in these calculations.)
The play of boys with ASD has been found to be more repetitive and restricted in range.
As assessed on diagnostic instruments for autism, the communicative abilities of girls with ASD have been observed to be stronger (e.g., pointing, gaze following).
Boys and girls with ASD may experience different developmental trajectories related to social difficulties with boys demonstrating more difficulties earlier in life, and girls expressing greater impairment in early adolescence.
Boys with ASD may tend to engage in disruptive behavior to gain objects, while girls with ASD may tend to engage in disruptive behavior to get attention.
Girls with ASD may be more able to focus and may be less distractible than boys with ASD.
Young girls with ASD have been found to appear more anxious and depressed than boys with ASD.
Parents may overestimate the social difficulties or impairments of their daughters because they have (and society has) greater expectations for how girls should behave in the social and communicative domains.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 7:36 pm

Some number:

Quote:
Julie Daniels, Ph.D., a researcher at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill who collaborated on the CDC study, said autism prevalence in North Carolina is higher than previously estimated and slightly higher than the national average. The estimate for the state was 1 in 70 children, with a rate of 1 in 43 boys and 1 in 196 girls.

http://www.disabled-world.com/health/neurology/autism/soaring-rates.php

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Sep 2012, 8:23 pm

InThisTogether wrote:
Mike_Garrick wrote:

Though shouldn't you be more outraged about the children getting thrown out of school?

One would think, right?

Maybe the reason the OP was so upset was because of 2 things. 1. The whole purpose of the thread and 2. the children getting thrown out of school, which probably helped to fuel the rage that is in the very first post. I don't know for sure, but this is just a theory.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 9:13 pm

Alfonso12345 wrote:
InThisTogether wrote:
Mike_Garrick wrote:

One would think, right?

Maybe the reason the OP was so upset was because of 2 things. 1. The whole purpose of the thread and 2. the children getting thrown out of school, which probably helped to fuel the rage that is in the very first post. I don't know for sure, but this is just a theory.

Nah. The OP was enraged about the gender thing. She never even tipped her hat to kids being thrown out of school.

I have a daughter with ASD, so I totally understand the issue. I was told by a "professional" before she was diagnosed that it likely wasn't ASD because she was a girl. She presents differently. It causes issues. No doubt about it. I do believe there are problems related to this and I do wish they would be remedied.

But I am by far more incensed to know that children somewhere on this planet--boy or girl--are being thrown out of school like discarded trash. If we are going to focus on an injustice, IMHO, that is the one to focus on.

My goodness, people! Children are being denied the right to an education because they have autism. "No help" is being given to autistics. And we are arguing about the use of the word "he" over "they" or "s/he." I think perspective taking is important here, because in the global scheme of things, the denial of basic rights to someone because they are on the spectrum is much more serious, regardless of how being a girl with autism affects my daughter's life.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 9:39 pm

Oh Jesus, chill out.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 9:45 pm

Way to derail the thread. It's not like complaining about it is somehow supporting kicking kids out of school, really.

alex
Developer
Developer

07 Sep 2012, 10:22 pm

He is often used as a gender neutral pronoun. I'm surprised there are people ignorant of a grammatical convention that's been around since the 18th century (or earlier).

The reason I only included the statistic for boys is due to the fact that I believe cases of autism in girls are seriously underrepresented (only 1 in 252 are diagnosed) due to a lot of different factors, so the girls number is misleading, and so is the overall number. I think there are just as many girls with autism, they're just diagnosed less.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 10:52 pm

Dirtdigger wrote:
I think Alex should have been a bit more thorough. I found this on RxList. There are other websites that basically is saying the same things.

Alex probably should have said something like this.

One in every 88 U.S. children -- and one in 54 boys -- has autism, the CDC now estimates.

But if a person does the math a lot more boys have autism than girls.

Autism in girls:
1 in 34

Autism in boys
1 in 54

But, rather going ballistic, I do an Internet search.

1 in 88 children has Autism

I look for the number of Autism children go up as NTs and the mental health professional becomes more familiar with it.

I agree with the first part. In the second part the math is completely wrong. You interpreted "1 in 54" as "54 of the 88" and miscalculated the math from there.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 10:56 pm

unduki wrote:
Maybe she did overreact but the sexist comments that follow are beyond disgusting.

How dare a woman get out of line!! !

Women have every right to overreact to a society that has largely ignored them forever and continues to do so - unless some man needs his ass wiped, right?

Referencing feminazis is not going to help the situation but I suspect helping others isn't the objective of many here.

The thread would have been taken seriously by a lot more people if the reaction wasn't so over the top. The issue was valid, but the OP makes people think it's just a feminazi whining over nothing.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html