Autism speaks is wrong, you can't cure whats not messed up.

Page 5 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 4:22 am

Curiotical wrote:
dalurker wrote:
Children first of all don't have any weird wishes to be disabled. Actually, many autistic children have been noted as being frustrated with their difficulties in communication.

I am an Autistic adolescent (whether or not you'd consider me a child is your own prerogative) and although the difficulties I face in communication frustrate me, I have always had a positive attitude towards Autism. This may be because my sister is diagnosed with low-functioning classic Autism and I learned from being around her that being different isn't necessarily a bad thing.

All of my friends who are also on the spectrum share a positive view of Autism, and not all of us are exceptionally high-functioning either. In fact, some of us are quite the opposite

I just don't believe you now. You weren't acknowledging any such difficulties before.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 6:08 am

dalurker wrote:
Curiotical wrote:
dalurker wrote:
Children first of all don't have any weird wishes to be disabled. Actually, many autistic children have been noted as being frustrated with their difficulties in communication.

I am an Autistic adolescent (whether or not you'd consider me a child is your own prerogative) and although the difficulties I face in communication frustrate me, I have always had a positive attitude towards Autism. This may be because my sister is diagnosed with low-functioning classic Autism and I learned from being around her that being different isn't necessarily a bad thing.

All of my friends who are also on the spectrum share a positive view of Autism, and not all of us are exceptionally high-functioning either. In fact, some of us are quite the opposite

I just don't believe you now. You weren't acknowledging any such difficulties before.

You constantly tell the "very high-functioning" not to speak for you, yet you feel it is acceptable for you to speak for young Autistic people? HYPOCRITE!

I really don't give a damn what you believe, nor do I have any motivation to continue debating with stubborn, deluded people like yourself. I personally find it extremely difficult to believe that anyone on the spectrum would honestly try to equate Autism to mere "ability characteristics" that have no influence whatsoever over his personality; in fact, I find such claims to be indicative of trolling.

If you choose to respond to this, you do so in vain, for I will not respond, nor will I ever choose to converse with you on Wrong Planet again. Goodbye dalurker.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 12:49 pm

dalurker wrote:
Curiotical wrote:
dalurker wrote:

Well then why should anyone here believe you even have any difficulties?

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 4:15 pm

Aghogday, looks like you were right about the numbers. Good detective work! Also thank you for posting citations. A lot of folks around here don't do that and it's very frustrating.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 6:51 pm

Pileo wrote:
Aghogday, looks like you were right about the numbers. Good detective work! Also thank you for posting citations. A lot of folks around here don't do that and it's very frustrating.

Your welcome, hopefully Charity Navigator will correct the mistake soon.

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 4:24 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
dalurker wrote:
Curiotical wrote:
dalurker wrote:

Well then why should anyone here believe you even have any difficulties?

I think he contradicted himself regarding his own difficulties, considering what he said earlier of himself.

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

18 Sep 2012, 6:54 am

I will have to admit that it appears that dalurker is not acknowledging mine nor anyone else's opinion and thus I don't think it's a good idea to continue attempting to argue with him. It's not about your problems nor mine, but rather everyone as a whole, so we ought to stop focusing just on ourselves and view the big picture (like I'm trying to...). If we're saying we've got autism then we inherently have some set of problems, regardless of severity, so fixating on our own problems isn't going to do anything to move this conversation forward.

I will reiterate my previous point, in that I feel that most people don't understand two things about autism and that is that it is something that is the wiring of the mind, and that there is a scale of severity (the spectrum bit).

It's not very well shown in media and thus people do not understand that there's people like me and people that have a lot more difficulties than me, and people who have a lot less. In addition, since it is not educated very well that the disorder is neurological that people don't understand that it's not like shoving Ritalin or Adderall in some kid's mouth for ADHD (which isn't a perfect fix either!). If people understood that this is how we are fundamentally hard-wired they might be less willing to try to find something that changes that. More education on the scaling factor of it would also reduce the number of parents who over-enable their children or feel they are incapable of doing things because of their disorder but really are fully capable.

The lack of education on the matter in general scares parents, and that fear alone is enough to cause them to want to abort their children because of this reason alone. That's a pretty scary reason to abort a baby, especially since I'd be screened as positive but I'm "high-functioning" so to speak (as are many other individuals). Heck, I don't think anyone here would rather not exist as an alternative to having autism. One can't really blame an organization for this, especially since they (from my knowledge) do not condone this practice; however, in my opinion the media is not doing a good enough job in educating the masses on the entire spectrum as opposed to the more worse sides of it, ESPECIALLY the disorder's portrayal in television and movies.

Of course, this is not to say that some people have it much worse than others, of course they do and that's the spectrum bit of it. But it isn't fair to just blanket the term and that's what the biggest problem with its portrayal is.

"Don't be That One Aspie..."

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2012, 7:43 am

corvuscorax wrote:
I will have to admit that it appears that dalurker is not acknowledging mine nor anyone else's opinion and thus I don't think it's a good idea to continue attempting to argue with him.

Acknowledging opinions doesn't mean the opinions are agreeable to all. I responded to the things you have said. But I won't ignore the misconceptions being advanced. I tried to abate the fears you have regarding cure. My response wasn't refuted.

Quote:
It's not very well shown in media and thus people do not understand that there's people like me and people that have a lot more difficulties than me, and people who have a lot less. In addition, since it is not educated very well that the disorder is neurological that people don't understand that it's not like shoving Ritalin or Adderall in some kid's mouth for ADHD (which isn't a perfect fix either!). If people understood that this is how we are fundamentally hard-wired they might be less willing to try to find something that changes that. More education on the scaling factor of it would also reduce the number of parents who over-enable their children or feel they are incapable of doing things because of their disorder but really are fully capable.

Common ignorance, including the lack of understanding that it's neurological, means stronger explanations are needed. Describing something as "hard-wired" is too abstract and doesn't describe the aspects of it enough. Describing something as wiring isn't sufficient to cause understanding, and it isn't sufficient to prove that the situation is unchangeable. Science has shown an insufficiency of wiring in some ways, a lack of connectivity between parts of the brain, and problems with connections. That doesn't imply some fundamentally different pattern of connections. Who knows what possibilities there could be to bolster connectivity. I don't know what over-enabling you're talking of.

Quote:
The lack of education on the matter in general scares parents, and that fear alone is enough to cause them to want to abort their children because of this reason alone. That's a pretty scary reason to abort a baby, especially since I'd be screened as positive but I'm "high-functioning" so to speak (as are many other individuals). Heck, I don't think anyone here would rather not exist as an alternative to having autism. One can't really blame an organization for this, especially since they (from my knowledge) do not condone this practice; however, in my opinion the media is not doing a good enough job in educating the masses on the entire spectrum as opposed to the more worse sides of it, ESPECIALLY the disorder's portrayal in television and movies.

What do you want to be done in response to this abortion fear? A lot of the common ignorance out there includes less concern prior to and during pregnancy regarding health/outcomes for the fetus. There aren't that many pregnant women in a frenzy to detect and abort autistic fetuses, and who are waiting for a prenatal test to come.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Oct 2012, 2:20 am

This is one of the reasons why people don't want Aspergers linked in willy nilly with everything else in the autistic spectrum. Apies are arguably just differently wired, while people with Rett's and Fragile X and other conditions are either mis wired or suffer from kind of degenerative condition.

Genesis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Oct 2012, 9:39 am

dalurker wrote:
Photoguruchris wrote:
Weather its the snide commentary on the radio saying we need to be cured, or laughter in the hearts of many in society who see us as different and segregate us from society (such as the special education system) where we are told all day and all night long that there is something that needs to be fixed about us simply because we think and act different then the status quo and majority. From the way society deems us as unsuitable and wrong they spend millions to cure something and make record profits in the process and exploit people that know nothing about autism and people with it for a profit.

There isn't anything sinister of curing something that is a medical condition. Anyone who is part of a sane progressive society should agree with that. You are not talking of autism at all. It's like you're referring to personality, which has nothing to do with developmental disorders.

Quote:
We are treated worse then the Africans did during the 20's and 30's, we get talked down to and looked at badly when we go places many times because our mannerisms are different.

Oh we do? You likely don't know much of suffering. You should recant that statement. When did actual minorities ever consent to having the idea of their civil rights struggle perverted for your own sensational promotion of mediocrity, humiliation, and inequity?

Quote:
We get discriminated against when we apply to jobs because we have a disability in societies eyes. We get exploited and force fed drugs that we don't need which destroys our minds in the process while the rich pharmaceuticals play good guy to a world that justifies drug companies selling addictive substances but how dare the people of this nation do the same.

What discrimination? Many of us lack the skills to work at many jobs. Ever hear of the learning problems many on the spectrum have? Disability is real. If there was such systematic discrimination, how can there be so many competent/skilled aspies working in reputable jobs?

Quote:
Do you not have dreams, emotions, goals, and seek the same physical and psychological nourishment as everyone else?

Disability prevents me from fulfilling all of that.

Quote:
If your wrong for being autistic and having a disability then that means Einstein was wrong, George Lukas was wrong, Beethoven, Tesla (Not autistic but def disabled), and many more that have redefined the way we live. Most of the minds that have reinvented how we live life our wrong as well if that falsehood is wrong. Remember, to do extraordinary things in life you have to be extraordinarily different. There is a lot wrong with society, there is a solution to all of this madness.

Those geniuses weren't disabled. It doesn't matter if they were autistic. If they were, they were very high-functioning. Period. Different isn't disabled. That idea doesn't make sense. Disability means not being able to do something.

Quote:
disabilities are really abilities in many ways as we think different and in this world we need different. Any scientist and Bioligist will back me up on the fact its just skin pigmentation.

You don't know what you're talking about. You are very misinformed and are stating falsehoods. Please stop listening to whoever told you all of that nonsense. They are deceiving you and manipulating you. They don't respect you as they indoctrinate you with these deceptions.

:roll:

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2012, 7:49 pm

Genesis wrote:

Is there something you want to say?

Genesis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Oct 2012, 1:13 pm

dalurker wrote:
Genesis wrote:

Oh there is plenty of things I want to say.... I just don't want to say it because A: it will annoy people, and B: I will say it.... just C: I don't want to say it right now.

Genesis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Oct 2012, 8:20 pm

Genesis wrote:
dalurker wrote:
Genesis wrote:

Oh there is plenty of things I want to say.... I just don't want to say it because A: it will annoy people, and B: I will say it.... just C: I don't want to say it right now.

Wow.... tough crowd..... :roll:

Aaron1570
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Oct 2012, 1:14 am

maybe were like the mutants in xmen. We the mutants see nothing wrong. but society wants us cured since were different.

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 1:51 am

Aaron1570 wrote:
maybe were like the mutants in xmen. We the mutants see nothing wrong. but society wants us cured since were different.

Stop making a spectacle out of us. Genetic mutations are often deleterious.

Genesis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Oct 2012, 7:44 pm

dalurker wrote:
Aaron1570 wrote:

Stop making a spectacle out of us. Genetic mutations are often deleterious.

*Yawn*