Autism speaks is wrong, you can't cure whats not messed up.

Page 1 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Photoguruchris
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Sep 2012, 3:06 pm

Weather its the snide commentary on the radio saying we need to be cured, or laughter in the hearts of many in society who see us as different and segregate us from society (such as the special education system) where we are told all day and all night long that there is something that needs to be fixed about us simply because we think and act different then the status quo and majority. From the way society deems us as unsuitable and wrong they spend millions to cure something and make record profits in the process and exploit people that know nothing about autism and people with it for a profit.

We need to start speaking up about groups like autism speaks and start a movement where we become one. We need to stop groveling in our woes and start taking action to our anger. We are treated worse then the Africans did during the 20's and 30's, we get talked down to and looked at badly when we go places many times because our mannerisms are different. We get discriminated against when we apply to jobs because we have a disability in societies eyes. We get exploited and force fed drugs that we don't need which destroys our minds in the process while the rich pharmaceuticals play good guy to a world that justifies drug companies selling addictive substances but how dare the people of this nation do the same.

We go through life being shoved aside and told to shut up if we dare to speak up about our positions and image in life; this I found out when talking to news stations who find a dog with cancer more appealing then a nation of people so oppressed by a system that keeps us hating our own skin and a system that gets us to attack each other while the real criminals or the world sit at home and never are looked at even though they've comited crimes against humanity such as Haliburton, BP, or Wells Fargo (the CEOs and people who run them).

So ask yourself, is there anything wrong with you? Do you not bleed the same as the people who tease and ostracize you when you go places? Do you not have dreams, emotions, goals, and seek the same physical and psychological nourishment as everyone else? Do you not eat, sleep, and breathe the same air in the same way as everyone else? If your wrong for being autistic and having a disability then that means Einstein was wrong, George Lukas was wrong, Beethoven, Tesla (Not autistic but def disabled), and many more that have redefined the way we live. Most of the minds that have reinvented how we live life our wrong as well if that falsehood is wrong. Remember, to do extraordinary things in life you have to be extraordinarily different. There is a lot wrong with society, there is a solution to all of this madness.

I've been working with a few organizations and politicians and I can tell you we can get political leaders to help us with laws to pass and to help get our rights back and dignity as well at least in the eyes of the legal system. The ones I have talked to support us 100% and a few wanted to set up a meeting to talk about these issues, both democrat and republican candidates and leaders. I am also involved with some people from the press and other organizations. Lets start a movement and they will cover us and stand with us in this fight. We CAN and will change society if we work together, even though we may be treated horribly by society we can be the solution as we think more clearly then most people without autism many times (but not always).

If you have a story you want to share about your life, want to get involved in this movement and are sick of the hate we go through and treatment, or some advice to give others on here reading this you can either email me on here or post a reply on this board. Talk about your struggles in life because your different and lets work together and get free. Peace, know that you are all my people and we are all the same in this world. Fyi, race doesn't exist it's just skin pigmentation. I learned that from the 2004 Green Party presidential candidate and disabilities are really abilities in many ways as we think different and in this world we need different. Any scientist and Bioligist will back me up on the fact its just skin pigmentation.

again_with_this
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 3:09 pm

William Shakespeare:

Quote:
If you prick us, do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?

That said, what do you hope to accomplish? The NT is what the NT is. Their minds won't change. Their perception of life won't change. Such change can't be forced. Just as we can't be "cured," neither can the NT be cured.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 4:12 pm

I agree with you, one hundred percent. Before I even figured out that I was on the spectrum (I grew up when autism meant kids that never talked and rocked in corners - and I had other issues that obscured how different I was) I saw a video put out by Autism Speaks - the one where a mother says that if she didn't have a "normal" daughter, she would have put her autistic daughter in the car and driven off the George Washington Bridge - and I thought to myself that Goebbels would have loved her. Which is not a compliment. Not from me, at least.

They ought to be forced to change their name to Bigotry Speaks. :D

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

Iloveshoujoai
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Sep 2012, 4:17 pm

Photoguruchris wrote:
We are treated worse then the Africans did during the 20's and 30's

I don't know how I feel about the anti-cure/anti-Autism Speaks people. I agree that being on the spectrum has its advantages/differences and such, and that it's not all disability like some would have people believe. I'm not witnessing all the hate and discrimination though.

Aspergers/Autism may be a difference but it is also very disabling for many, there is a group who do not want to be cured of it in anyway, and I can understand that side of the argument in some ways. I can't imagine the majority having that stance though, especially the people who are so low functioning. It's hard to deny they'd have a better life without some successful form of treatment/intervention/help of some kind that groups like Autism-Speaks hope for.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 4:22 pm

There is a def disability in autism, we can put our heads in the sand and sing la-la-la all day long but it's there. Like it or not.

Acceptance alone is not going to fix things, sorry to say it.

You can however treat the disability of autism while respecting the autistic mind.

A person with an autistic mind could have great ideas, but if he can only work one day a week because he needs 4 days to recover from being social, that's not practical nor is it fair to the other people.

A person with an autistic mind could be a great lover, but if he is so overcome with anxiety he can't speak, how will he ever find a mate? Are we going to advocate a PC police that arrests people for not being able to fall in love with him?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 4:23 pm

Iloveshoujoai wrote:
Photoguruchris wrote:
We are treated worse then the Africans did during the 20's and 30's

I don't know how I feel about the anti-cure/anti-Autism Speaks people. I agree that being on the spectrum has its advantages/differences and such, and that it's not all disability like some would have people believe. I'm not witnessing all the hate and discrimination though.

Aspergers/Autism may be a difference but it is also very disabling for many, there is a group who do not want to be cured of it in anyway, and I can understand that side of the argument in some ways. I can't imagine the majority having that stance though, especially the people who are so low functioning. It's hard to deny they'd have a better life without some successful form of treatment/intervention/help of some kind that groups like Autism-Speaks hope for.

Well one has to question their intentions if they advertise their program with a video clip of a mom claming if it wasnt for her normal child she would have killed herself as well as the autistic child by driving off a cliff. Seems like they are experts at sending out mixed messeges. "We want to help autistic people." then it changes to 'oh look at how horrible it is for the families of these useless individuals.'...from what I hear some therapy is all about forcing the autistic child to supress all their autistic tendencies....maybe being forced to never express ones self because they are told they are doing it 'wrong' consistantly might contribute to less functioning. That sort of thing tends to kill motivation to do anything because it might make someone so afraid of messing up.

That said though I certainly do think autistic individuals who are struggling do deserve treatments and help but I think its very important it is for 'their' benefit not so the parents don't have to be embarrassed by their child for instance. With the attitude I gather from autism speaks they don't really consider that even low functioning people with autism are still people with needs, feelings and wants they seem to refer to them as empty shells that cannot possibly perceive anything that is going on or if people are treating them badly. I think that is probably an inaccurate generalization.

Maybe I am wrong but I kind of get the impression a lot of lower functioning autistics might not be treated so well by some of these organizations........or based on the ideas these organizations promote. I mean I went to the website and I certainly wasn't impressed.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 07 Sep 2012, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 4:24 pm

Photoguruchris wrote:
Weather its the snide commentary on the radio saying we need to be cured, or laughter in the hearts of many in society who see us as different and segregate us from society (such as the special education system) where we are told all day and all night long that there is something that needs to be fixed about us simply because we think and act different then the status quo and majority. From the way society deems us as unsuitable and wrong they spend millions to cure something and make record profits in the process and exploit people that know nothing about autism and people with it for a profit.

There isn't anything sinister of curing something that is a medical condition. Anyone who is part of a sane progressive society should agree with that. You are not talking of autism at all. It's like you're referring to personality, which has nothing to do with developmental disorders.

Quote:
We are treated worse then the Africans did during the 20's and 30's, we get talked down to and looked at badly when we go places many times because our mannerisms are different.

Oh we do? You likely don't know much of suffering. You should recant that statement. When did actual minorities ever consent to having the idea of their civil rights struggle perverted for your own sensational promotion of mediocrity, humiliation, and inequity?

Quote:
We get discriminated against when we apply to jobs because we have a disability in societies eyes. We get exploited and force fed drugs that we don't need which destroys our minds in the process while the rich pharmaceuticals play good guy to a world that justifies drug companies selling addictive substances but how dare the people of this nation do the same.

What discrimination? Many of us lack the skills to work at many jobs. Ever hear of the learning problems many on the spectrum have? Disability is real. If there was such systematic discrimination, how can there be so many competent/skilled aspies working in reputable jobs?

Quote:
Do you not have dreams, emotions, goals, and seek the same physical and psychological nourishment as everyone else?

Disability prevents me from fulfilling all of that.

Quote:
If your wrong for being autistic and having a disability then that means Einstein was wrong, George Lukas was wrong, Beethoven, Tesla (Not autistic but def disabled), and many more that have redefined the way we live. Most of the minds that have reinvented how we live life our wrong as well if that falsehood is wrong. Remember, to do extraordinary things in life you have to be extraordinarily different. There is a lot wrong with society, there is a solution to all of this madness.

Those geniuses weren't disabled. It doesn't matter if they were autistic. If they were, they were very high-functioning. Period. Different isn't disabled. That idea doesn't make sense. Disability means not being able to do something.

Quote:
disabilities are really abilities in many ways as we think different and in this world we need different. Any scientist and Bioligist will back me up on the fact its just skin pigmentation.

You don't know what you're talking about. You are very misinformed and are stating falsehoods. Please stop listening to whoever told you all of that nonsense. They are deceiving you and manipulating you. They don't respect you as they indoctrinate you with these deceptions.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 4:29 pm

I'm also against Autism Speaks for the same reasons that you are. It's not fair that we have to be treated worse than the blacks were at one time. The perfect month to have a protest would be in April, during Autism Awareness Month. We should not let the dictators run our lives and Autism Speaks headquarters.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 4:37 pm

thewhitrbbit wrote:
There is a def disability in autism, we can put our heads in the sand and sing la-la-la all day long but it's there. Like it or not.

Acceptance alone is not going to fix things, sorry to say it.

You can however treat the disability of autism while respecting the autistic mind.

A person with an autistic mind could have great ideas, but if he can only work one day a week because he needs 4 days to recover from being social, that's not practical nor is it fair to the other people.

A person with an autistic mind could be a great lover, but if he is so overcome with anxiety he can't speak, how will he ever find a mate? Are we going to advocate a PC police that arrests people for not being able to fall in love with him?

It's not fair to expect people with disabilities to contribute more than they can....regardless of if that means its unfair to other though I do not see how not expecting an autistic person to go past their limits is unfair to others. How does that even really effect others or their quality of life?

For your second example it would seem anxiety is the issue that person should have treated, autism and anxiety aren't the same thing....And I could be wrong but I don't think its necessarily anxiety that would prevent someone with autism from speaking. But using that example no the PC police should not arrest people for not falling in love with him.......but at they same time they should not arrest him for having anxiety issues that get in the way of initiating interaction with females. Also what if this individual isn't even interested in finding a mate? should they be forced to overcome the anxiety for the purpose of finding a mate?

ictus75
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2012, 1:59 am

A lot of us have been speaking up, so much so that Autism Speaks has modified much of their public rhetoric in response to Autistics speaking up, even tho they still appear to have the same goals. So speaking up does do something. I agree that getting politicians and others in prominent places to be on our side and back us up would be of great help, and also help negate the negativity that Autism Speaks spews out.

Photoguruchris wrote:

The problem with all this talk of a "cure" is that any sort of cure would most likely be at a genetic level and be something done either at conception or before birth. Genetically modifying children & adults with Autism is way beyond what is possible today and would be an immense undertaking. That said, all the effort put into a "cure" does absolutely NOTHING for those of us who are here right now and have Autism of some form. Autism Speaks does nothing to help us, to help us live better lives now. I'm sorry folks, but little Johnny/Jainy will not be cured of their Autism. Only the future unborn have a chance of that.

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 2:27 am

ictus75 wrote:
A lot of us have been speaking up, so much so that Autism Speaks has modified much of their public rhetoric in response to Autistics speaking up, even tho they still appear to have the same goals. So speaking up does do something. I agree that getting politicians and others in prominent places to be on our side and back us up would be of great help, and also help negate the negativity that Autism Speaks spews out.

Oh great. Getting the representatives of the state and the powerful on the side of "anti-negativity", in order to change the agenda to glorifying and aggrandizing the very high-functioning, impairment-dodging intellect moguls, while ignoring the highly disabled majority of the spectrum, who would be ignored by being sidelined and relegated as wards of the state.

Quote:
The problem with all this talk of a "cure" is that any sort of cure would most likely be at a genetic level and be something done either at conception or before birth. Genetically modifying children & adults with Autism is way beyond what is possible today and would be an immense undertaking. That said, all the effort put into a "cure" does absolutely NOTHING for those of us who are here right now and have Autism of some form. Autism Speaks does nothing to help us, to help us live better lives now. I'm sorry folks, but little Johnny/Jainy will not be cured of their Autism. Only the future unborn have a chance of that.

You need to stop underestimating what technology can do now and in the future. If potential problems are detected during pregnancy or shortly after birth, development is still occurring, and can be modified in rehabilitative ways that have been devised, possibly including preventing deleterious genetic variations from messing up development. Research has to be done before complex treatments are made. Autism Speaks doesn't have the scale of funds to help out with living costs of autistics. That money is likely in the billions and the government should be responsible for that. I haven't seen your side pressuring the government into effectively supporting the here and now autistics. Your efforts have been wasted on repeating and refining sensational paranoid accusations against Autism Speaks and similar efforts. That whole refutation of "the here and the now" is just another weak excuse in a series of excuses.

MrPickles
Raven
Raven

08 Sep 2012, 3:36 am

While some here have nit-picked your statements - I am not sure that we are treated worse than black in the 1920s as that was brutal, open and blatant - But yes we are treated badly in some ways in a most obscene manner that is truly deplorable. "nuff said". Your point is made and I get what you are saying.

The probability is low for anything approaching a real cure even for future generations - so much so that it is as close to non-existent as one can get in real life. In reality they do not have anything that can be in all honesty be labeled a cure for schizophrenia or ADHD. Oh, they have drug treatments for these but for the majority of people the treatment is worse than the "disease". However, what is important is not that Asperger's or autism is or is not a disease, a disability, a syndrome, or just an unusual mix of personality traits but What IS MOST important is that - I am this way - and not likely to change. I have decided to an ever increasing extent to live my life as Asper as I am comfortable with. What must happen is for society to accept us as we are - to permit us to explore who we are and what that means. I feel that it would be truly amazing what would be accomplished if the majority of our kind could develop to our full potential rather being force to pretend to be good NTs.

It is high time that we start banding together and working toward gaining social acceptance. I do see the first stirrings in this direction, so I do have hope for us in the end.

Found on http://jacobbarnett.org/ -- If you are suffering from Autism - you're doing it wrong!

Last edited by MrPickles on 11 Sep 2012, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 11:19 am

ictus75 wrote:

Photoguruchris wrote:

Ick, I hope they do not make this cure before birth mandatory........hell they might as well genetically alter every child in the womb so they all come out exactly the same. I just find it terrible that the goal would be to simply prevent such individuals from being born, luckily as far as anyone can tell there are various things that cause autism so it might not even be one isolated genetic thing to modify. I certainly hope not.

But I agree, the focus should be on improving lives of autistic people who do exist, not trying to find a way to prevent future autistic people from coming into existence.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 11:31 am

dalurker wrote:
ictus75 wrote:

Oh great. Getting the representatives of the state and the powerful on the side of "anti-negativity", in order to change the agenda to glorifying and aggrandizing the very high-functioning, impairment-dodging intellect moguls, while ignoring the highly disabled majority of the spectrum, who would be ignored by being sidelined and relegated as wards of the state.

First off what makes you think its only very high-functioning, impairment-doging intellect moguls, that are opposed to the idea of a cure being the main focus......I am impaired in a lot of ways by autism, honestly the only thing ever had going for me seems to be intelligence but that doesn't do much good if people never take you seriously and just laugh at you or call you ret*d because you have autism and come off as very akward and unusual. It doesn't make sensory issues less intense and there are other things but I am not going to list all my symptoms and describe them. The whole issue is I am a 23 year old with autism.......I doubt there is a cure for that, so I'd prefer help to improve my quality of life not to be genetically alterned into a neurotypical when I've been the same person with the same genetics for 23 years.........is it really so hard to fathom that someone even with impairments might not like the idea of genetic modification?

Also who are you to speak for lower functioning people? how would you know if they would want to be genetically altered or not unless they have given some sort of indication that's what they want. We have to consider if trying to alter the genetics of say a non-verbal autistic person who's low functioning...would cause them more distress than it is worth for instance. I imagine having genetics altered after you're born could have some very dangerous risks, maybe it even would cause pain and discomfort. I mean to someone who wouldn't even understand what is going on they might just feel as though they're being tormented by the treatments.

Quote:

You need to stop underestimating what technology can do now and in the future. If potential problems are detected during pregnancy or shortly after birth, development is still occurring, and can be modified in rehabilitative ways that have been devised, possibly including preventing deleterious genetic variations from messing up development. Research has to be done before complex treatments are made. Autism Speaks doesn't have the scale of funds to help out with living costs of autistics. That money is likely in the billions and the government should be responsible for that. I haven't seen your side pressuring the government into effectively supporting the here and now autistics. Your efforts have been wasted on repeating and refining sensational paranoid accusations against Autism Speaks and similar efforts. That whole refutation of "the here and the now" is just another weak excuse in a series of excuses.

I don't think genetic variations occur after birth..........also what you're talking about might sound wonderful to you, but your talking about genetic modification, preventing genetic 'variations' and such like that is very disturbing to lots of people. Not to mention it almost goes along the lines of eugenics. I mean sure you aren't talking about killing people with autism...but I don't think there would be anything good about humans having the ability to prevent genetic variations or alter peoples genetics once they've been born I can only imagine the many ways in which that would be used wrong.

Maybe there doesn't have to be only 'complex treatments' why not look into ways to improve lives of people with autism, without trying to eradicate the autism?

dalurker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 4:22 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

I don't think genetic variations occur after birth..........also what you're talking about might sound wonderful to you, but your talking about genetic modification, preventing genetic 'variations' and such like that is very disturbing to lots of people. Not to mention it almost goes along the lines of eugenics. I mean sure you aren't talking about killing people with autism...but I don't think there would be anything good about humans having the ability to prevent genetic variations or alter peoples genetics once they've been born I can only imagine the many ways in which that would be used wrong.

Maybe there doesn't have to be only 'complex treatments' why not look into ways to improve lives of people with autism, without trying to eradicate the autism?

Genetic variations remain throughout life if unaltered. I'm talking of handling some of them during development when they have certain roles. What is so disturbing? There is no logical reason to think of this as scary. What is so terrible of replacing unproductive variations of genes with functional ones? Not all genetic variations one has are essential to their unique identity. A lot of these objections to such treatments seem to be fear of drastic change. What do you consider improving lives? How much can you improve lives when ones lacks basic skills? Cure IS a way to increase quality of life. What kind of improvement of life is it to just end up dependent on family and the community well into adulthood, going through government agencies that deal with disability to get crappy, confusing low pay jobs due to truly not having any qualifications or enough ability to advance, while being talked to like a criminal by government bureaucrats. What improvement can there be when all ambitions and dreams and even preferences in pursing leisure, are eventually put in the toilet or cut down to pathetic size as they don't match up to one's "innate" abilities/strengths? I bet you're going to say society/community then would have to change and do something to make it turn out better. But not a lot of detail is often shown by those who say such things. What it comes down to for me is my ego and pride. I've become tired of it being eliminated and of being the weak person to be defended or manipulated by others.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 10:04 am

dalurker wrote:
There isn't anything sinister of curing something that is a medical condition. Anyone who is part of a sane progressive society should agree with that. You are not talking of autism at all. It's like you're referring to personality, which has nothing to do with developmental disorders.

I'm sorry, but if you honestly believe that Autism has nothing to do with one's personality, then you are obviously an extremely deluded and uninformed individual.