Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Have you ever had problems with your school about your problems?
Yes, a lot 33%  33%  [ 9 ]
Only a few 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
No 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
School always gives me problems 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
My old school did, but the one im in now is a lot better about it 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
I only had problems with one ( or a few) teachers 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 27

InvisibleSmiles
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Sep 2012, 6:17 pm

(post deleted)

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 7:11 pm

i would never expect a teacher to re-arrange her classroom just to suit me.

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

07 Sep 2012, 7:14 pm

I am starting year 10 at a brand new school and it is quite scary, and not just at first. I try to make the best of it and ignore any people who make me feel uncomfortable. I don't know the size of your highschool, but depending on it your teachers may put you in alphabetical order or something. I can understand sitting next to strangers, but unless its a group project, try to focus solely on the teacher and don't look around. I know it's not very goof advice, but I'm not sure what else you can do that is in your control. I know from experience that some teachers don't listen to each student's individual needs and they consider the class as a whole's needs. This might be a reason why they don't understand; they may not be experienced with kids who have AS either-unlike your English teacher. I feel that with such a big emphasis on preventing bullying nowadays, they should also turn their attention towards autism and the kids with that. Do your teachers have emails that you/your parents could contact and explain the situation? The specific teacher might pay attention more if it's a figure of more 'authority'. I also find it helpful to find one teacher to confide in and who you can count on. You seem to already be dong this though.
I hope your next week goes well.

Canaspie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 7:50 pm

I don't know your situation, but keep in mind that your teacher has to attend to the needs of all her students. While it may be unfortunate for you, there may have been a reason for having you sit behind your friend instead of beside them - a reason that may not have anything to do with you, as it may have been done to handle an issue involving other people in the class.

Unfortunately, it's impossible as a teacher to create a seating plan that's ideal for everyone.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 6:12 pm

cathylynn wrote:

Wanting to feel safe at school is hardly an unreasonable expectation. In the past, I have dropped out of a class because I was forced to sit next to a bully and despite my objections, the teacher wouldn't even allow me to sit alone.

People on the spectrum are often bullied, so teachers should allow us to sit with people who actually make us feel secure and respected.

Canaspie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 7:45 pm

Curiotical wrote:
cathylynn wrote:

Wanting to feel safe at school is hardly an unreasonable expectation. In the past, I have dropped out of a class because I was forced to sit next to a bully and despite my objections, the teacher wouldn't even allow me to sit alone.

People on the spectrum are often bullied, so teachers should allow us to sit with people who actually make us feel secure and respected.

Objecting to sitting beside a bully is one thing, wanting to only sit beside one particular person in the class is another. Unfortunately, it's not always possible for a teacher to give you your first choice of who to sit beside. While students on the spectrum may have certain needs, the fact is they are still only one student out of an entire class. The teacher has to balance the needs of all the students - they can't just focus on one student (and its important to note that what a student needs is not always the same as what they want).

In your case, yes it was reasonable to object to sitting beside a bully - I actually went through that same exact experience in grade 7. However, unless there's more to the OP's story, it's necessary to be able to compromise to some extent - note that in the story the OP is still sitting quite close to the person they wanted to sit beside.

Curiotical
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 1:33 pm

Canaspie wrote:
Curiotical wrote:
cathylynn wrote:

Objecting to sitting beside a bully is one thing, wanting to only sit beside one particular person in the class is another. Unfortunately, it's not always possible for a teacher to give you your first choice of who to sit beside. While students on the spectrum may have certain needs, the fact is they are still only one student out of an entire class. The teacher has to balance the needs of all the students - they can't just focus on one student (and its important to note that what a student needs is not always the same as what they want).

In your case, yes it was reasonable to object to sitting beside a bully - I actually went through that same exact experience in grade 7. However, unless there's more to the OP's story, it's necessary to be able to compromise to some extent - note that in the story the OP is still sitting quite close to the person they wanted to sit beside.

I understand your point; perhaps I've misunderstood something here. The OP claims that she only feels safe around one person which suggests to me that she has a genuine reason to feel unsafe around her other classmates (i.e. bullying). If this is not the case, I shall concede and agree with you and cathylynn however, if there is bullying going on, I stand by my point.

Canaspie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2012, 8:02 pm

Curiotical wrote:
Canaspie wrote:
Curiotical wrote:
cathylynn wrote:

I understand your point; perhaps I've misunderstood something here. The OP claims that she only feels safe around one person which suggests to me that she has a genuine reason to feel unsafe around her other classmates (i.e. bullying). If this is not the case, I shall concede and agree with you and cathylynn however, if there is bullying going on, I stand by my point.

Yep, and if there is bullying going on from all the other classmates, then I will agree 100% with your point.

Taverson
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2012, 2:24 pm

I once told my AP US history teacher to keep me by this one girl not because I had a crush on her but because she was nice to me despite my quirks. She kept us in the same desks the whole rest of the year.

I think there's nothing wrong with asking a teacher for preference, but there will be times it just won't work out. For me over my years in school, it was comfortable to know there was someone in the class who I felt at ease around even if they didn't sit next to me. The classes where I had no one like that and seemingly no one who I could get to know to where I could be - those were the classes I did not excel in.

My AP English class had a choir kid I loved talking to (I find the very idea of a politically conservative Jewish atheist to be quite perplexing), two girls I could always talk to about anything, and then some sarcastic Mormon kid who I shared a mutual fondness, hate, and respect with (we traded insults for fun). I never sat by any of them but it was a comfort to know they were there.

We may have different ways of coping though so my heart goes out to you.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2012, 12:18 pm

It can't hurt to ask, but unless your a victim of bullying, it might be hard for the teacher to understand why you need to move. Also, it's possible that another student might need to be closer due to hearing or sight issues.

But def ask, don't' make a huge production of it, just ask. You said "I thought she understood." Well, keep in mind, she's not a mind reader. :)

avnish
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Sep 2012, 11:54 pm

dear sir,
As you known that in our country infrastruture for science study is weak as per time. Many students wants to learn science with proper understand ,but at the age 17-18 many question arise about method of teaching .Teaching method in primary and secondary school is not satisfied to all student because of human nature for learning .All students are not the same things as per time.

Many students wants to learn science with enjoyable method and no pressure on mind for science.

I am avnish shakya .i am studying at home in pressuried way .I have failed 12 science due to my natural behaviour . But i am not worry about this result .Every student have their personal thought about the surrounding things and matter. Science is not hard subject but teaching method hard for students.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2012, 10:42 am

avnish wrote:
dear sir,
As you known that in our country infrastruture for science study is weak as per time. Many students wants to learn science with proper understand ,but at the age 17-18 many question arise about method of teaching .Teaching method in primary and secondary school is not satisfied to all student because of human nature for learning .All students are not the same things as per time.

Many students wants to learn science with enjoyable method and no pressure on mind for science.

I am avnish shakya .i am studying at home in pressuried way .I have failed 12 science due to my natural behaviour . But i am not worry about this result .Every student have their personal thought about the surrounding things and matter. Science is not hard subject but teaching method hard for students.

This really isn't in any way related to the original post though. Perhaps part of another thread misposted?