Do Cultures that do not have property rights have Laws?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Do Cultures that do not have property rights have Laws?
Yep - I will link to a paper in my very intelligent comment. 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Not that I could find in my fevered googling 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 2
13 Sep 2012, 12:17 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
There is a bit of a going idea that laws spring from ideas about property.
Gintis, Boyd that whole gaggle of folks. It is a very clean and elegant idea and testable. Do the Hadza, !Kung, Inuit, etc the so called egalitarian hunter-gatherers have laws?

Laws of course need a definition. I like
Quote:
Rules that have proscribed punishments.

This is to separate law from norms (norms do not have proscribed punishments).
What I am looking for is observed examples not theoretical reasons why they can or can not have laws.

WTF makes you think that tribal societies do not have property rights?

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 12:20 pm

JakobVirgil wrote:
1. it this I think you are wrong how are there not sanctions for being in breach of contract?

Some jurisdictions do admit of the concept of "punitive damages," but these are few and far between.

If you commit fraud, the person that you defrauded sues you to get their money back. The state prosecutes you for being a criminal. The two processes are linked to the same fraud, the the proceedings have entirely different purposes.

Quote:
2. If you are found in violation you are not punished? If the quarantined person violates his quarantine is he punished?

In violation of what? If I made a mistake, my quarantine order is vacated. The patient is free to go and I go back to work.

Now, if I committed a professional misconduct in making that mistake, there may other proceedings before the College, but that is only peripherally linked to the patient's review of my quarantine order.

Quote:
3. If you treat a child against his parents wishes there is no sanction?

If I treat anyone without consent, I am exposed to prosecution for assault. But my point was that the law allows a parent to consent on behalf of a child. The law is being permissive in such a circumstance, not punitive.

Quote:
4. If you refuse to present your passport I am pretty sure the is some kind of punishment.

No. If I refuse to present my passport, then I my request to enter the country is refused. That's not punishment. If a student applies to medical school and refuses to present his transcripts, he is not being punished when the school refuses his application. They are simply taking the decision that he has not proved that he is qualified. The same goes if I refuse to present my passport.

Quote:
If there is no sanction it is not a Law it is a Norm.

Law is predicated on enforceability, to be sure. But not all enforcement is sanction, and not all sanctions are penalties.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 2:06 pm

ruveyn wrote:
DC wrote:
Do the kibbutz count or does it fall foul of 'communal property' as a concept even though some went to the extreme of not even owning clothing.

How many Kibbutzim are currently in operation? And I am talking about real Kibbutzim, not these tourist traps in Israel where American Jewish tourists go for two weeks to pick fruit from the trees (for which privilege they pay thousands of dollars) so they can feel the "hardships" of the People.

When people did not have a pot to pee in Kibbutzim made sense. It made efficient use of the few available goods. Privately owned goods spend most of their time in a cupboard and are not put to any earthly use. Privately owned good promote the illusion of wealth derived from what is owned and not what is put to good use.

ruveyn

Fair point, I'm not aware of any that didn't either collapse, go down corporatist route or end up on permanent welfare.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 8:05 pm

visagrunt wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
1. it this I think you are wrong how are there not sanctions for being in breach of contract?

Some jurisdictions do admit of the concept of "punitive damages," but these are few and far between.

If you commit fraud, the person that you defrauded sues you to get their money back. The state prosecutes you for being a criminal. The two processes are linked to the same fraud, the the proceedings have entirely different purposes.

Quote:
2. If you are found in violation you are not punished? If the quarantined person violates his quarantine is he punished?

In violation of what? If I made a mistake, my quarantine order is vacated. The patient is free to go and I go back to work.

Now, if I committed a professional misconduct in making that mistake, there may other proceedings before the College, but that is only peripherally linked to the patient's review of my quarantine order.

Quote:
3. If you treat a child against his parents wishes there is no sanction?

If I treat anyone without consent, I am exposed to prosecution for assault. But my point was that the law allows a parent to consent on behalf of a child. The law is being permissive in such a circumstance, not punitive.

Quote:
4. If you refuse to present your passport I am pretty sure the is some kind of punishment.

No. If I refuse to present my passport, then I my request to enter the country is refused. That's not punishment. If a student applies to medical school and refuses to present his transcripts, he is not being punished when the school refuses his application. They are simply taking the decision that he has not proved that he is qualified. The same goes if I refuse to present my passport.

Quote:
If there is no sanction it is not a Law it is a Norm.

Law is predicated on enforceability, to be sure. But not all enforcement is sanction, and not all sanctions are penalties.

I will take the bolded part as agreement on fundamentals and the rest as a fussiness that I do not share and that does not interest me.

A real issue and one that you would be the perfect one to solve is Australian customary law really law? Use a definition that suits you better but contains enforcement.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 8:14 pm

If one communitys property was taken by another, there was an enforcement of their law through reciprocity. That is, they actively pursued the property stolen, took it back, and punished the offenders (where possible the individuals responsible, if not the family or community responsible) in a manner that was deemed appropriate for and in proportion to the crime.

Simply because there was not personal property, does not mean that there was not property rights. Because property was communal in nature, if someone from another community stole from another, there would still be an enforcement of the law due to the transgression.