Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

nerdymama
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2012, 11:42 pm

I love creating fractal patterns (Ex. the Hilbert Curve)

I love solving rubics cubes (and other similar puzzles ex megaminx)

Solving logic grid puzzles

I find the above incredibly fun and exciting. I don't know if these things would appear to be incredibly exciting to most but working on them fills me with energy and I just thoroughly enjoy doing these activities. Example.. with fractals.. I love the idea of making them more and more complex and absolutely love to see the shape start out somewhat simple and progress into something incredibly complex! :D And with the puzzles despite have solved the same type of puzzle hundreds of times before I love to see the progress and then the finished puzzle!! :D

What kind of activities do you love to do repeatedly?

(This post was inspired by learning and working on a new fractal pattern) :D

SavageMessiah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Sep 2012, 12:15 am

I was the Forrest Gump of Wii Tennis until I actually got tennis elbow! True story!

When I used to work at Sam's Club as a night merch I would see how many pallets I could work/kill. One night I worked 130 pallets with 70 kills, which volumetrically was the entire beverage section (including "pods") and 1/2 of grocery. This was in 7 hours with no assistance and an electric stand-up sideshift forklift. I'd have liked to have seen traditional Walmart employees try that...

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2012, 2:08 am

Mine are substantially less cerebral than yours ;) ha, but silly putty has kept my subconscious entertained for hours (while consciously doing something else, like watching tv). Eh, hardly an activity but clicking magnets together and pulling them apart is near the top of the list. Ah, and of course, practicing guitar scales...that's probably the one I do most often and also get the most joy from; just set the metronome at 170 and pump them out forever.

phyrehawke
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Sep 2012, 3:48 pm

handweaving...very repetitive in a relaxing way that gets something pretty accomplished.

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 8:56 pm

Practicing piano.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 9:07 pm

-personality quizzes
-surfing the net
-reading

rabidrabbit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2012, 9:08 pm

I hollow out giant rectangular caves in minecraft then make the walls and floor symmetrical :D tried it online but the server got reset just as i was settling on what to put inside it.

Dovi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Sep 2012, 9:37 pm

rabidrabbit wrote:
I hollow out giant rectangular caves in minecraft then make the walls and floor symmetrical :D tried it online but the server got reset just as i was settling on what to put inside it.

Oh gosh, minecraft has to be the most addicting repetitive activity ever. I spend hours underground just mining for stuff even when I don't need anything. I just like to dig it all up. I am guessing you play the xbox version regularly?

rabidrabbit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2012, 9:46 pm

I play the pc version. I find it difficult to find a game mode I enjoy solo though. I like survival because I have to work and collect and organize all of my things and like the feeling of building wealth but I often die with a significant portion of my inventory in some deep lava filled cave and this makes me very upset. I like creative too but the lack of a challenge makes it boring quickly and I know that if I am going to cheat anyway I could just use a mod to make my caves or buildings. I think maybe I will try survival on an easier difficulty.

I used to play with Lego as a kid for the same reasons, it drove me insane that I'd make a huge perfectly symmetrical thing and then have to make the colours non-symmetrical. :D

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 9:58 pm

windtreeman wrote:
Mine are substantially less cerebral than yours ;) ha, but silly putty has kept my subconscious entertained for hours (while consciously doing something else, like watching tv). Eh, hardly an activity but clicking magnets together and pulling them apart is near the top of the list. Ah, and of course, practicing guitar scales...that's probably the one I do most often and also get the most joy from; just set the metronome at 170 and pump them out forever.

Ever get hold of any rare earth magnets such as made from neodymium?

oftenaloof
Raven
Raven

09 Sep 2012, 10:01 pm

eric76 wrote:
windtreeman wrote:

Ever get hold of any rare earth magnets such as made from neodymium?

I love rare earth magnets :D

nerdymama
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2012, 10:06 pm

I like minecraft too.. I can go on and on and on with that game.. .. and I've built fractal patterns underground too! :D

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

09 Sep 2012, 10:12 pm

Ah, Minecraft. How I love thee.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 11:38 pm

My Slinky is so...darn...addictive. I can't stop playing with it.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2012, 11:40 pm

outofplace wrote:
My Slinky is so...darn...addictive. I can't stop playing with it.

I used to work at one software company that kept a slinky in the conference room. During meetings, someone would invariably play with it a while and then put it on the table at which point someone else would grab it and play with it for a while. It rarely spent any time on top of the table during the meetings.