Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 4:42 pm

I'd heard this forum name dropped a few times. This is my first time visiting.

I'm not really sure what I've got going on. I've suspected some kind of autism spectrum disorder, been going back and forth in my head about it for years.

Part of my issue was growing up with parents who don't really believe in the autism spectrum. Basically in their view unless you're Rain Man you're not autistic, and unless you're Sherlock you don't have aspergers. So despite my best efforts as a youth to inform them that something was wrong and I needed help, I was largely ignored.

I spent a number of years after gradating high school vagabonding about with my partner, who was also undiagnosed but clearly non-neurotypical in some way. I made various attempts to get help in some form, but we moved around so much that I'd run into various hurdles and have to leave an area before I could get an appointment with anybody.

We split up, and now I'm back at my parents house.

Not really sure what I'm supposed to do now. How do I go about getting tested for ASD? Should I speak to a psychologist or is there a specific type of professional I'd need to see.

Really I'd just like an answer one way or the other.

I certainly frequently felt like i was born on the "wrong planet" before I even knew it was the name of a website.

So thanks wrongplanet for existing. Hope I can find the answers I'm looking for.

BrokenBill
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2012, 6:59 pm

Hi Roberyllium
N welcome to WP. :)
A country in your profile may help getting advice, different strokes for different countries and all that.

You are very likely an Aspie

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2012, 7:10 pm

i didn't even think of that. well it's there now.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 6:22 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 9:30 pm

Welkome to WP

MickImage