Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Basil342
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jul 2020, 3:35 pm

I sound like a stereotypical "New Yorker." Not quite as thick as the Brooklyn accents you see on TV or in movies, but thick enough for people out of state to make me say "coffee," "hotdog," "water," etc.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 6:19 am

They say "plain old American", but then you can definitely tell New Yorkers apart from Bostoners, or Southerners for that matter.

I think mine sounds like a mix of Swiss and Finnish, but definitely not from where I came from.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 11:57 am

r00tb33r wrote:
They say "plain old American", but then you can definitely tell New Yorkers apart from Bostoners, or Southerners for that matter.

I have a type of American accent, but can't divulge the exact type without giving away the city I am from, actually, for the savvy linguist, the neighborhood and the city I grew up in. -so I won't.

And no, I am not from New York. :p

I will say though, I always got told from other kids in my neighborhood growing up that I "talked funny". I think even for someone where I am from, my intonation is a little unusual.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 12:43 pm

I have a cross of Yorkshire accent with a Bostonian accent, which was more pronounced when I was little. We have no idea where the Boston sound came from but I went to speech therapy and the Boston sound became less prominent.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 12:56 pm

I have a similar accent to Raymond from “Everybody Loves Raymond.”

That would make sense, since I grew up
a few blocks from where he grew up.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 5:29 pm

I have a Texas accent.

threetoed snail
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Apr 2021, 6:02 pm

I'm very curious what any native English speaker would say my accent sounds like. I think it's a sort of "Frankestein accent", because I learned mostly by listening, not so much by talking. I doubt anyone would guess where I'm from by my accent. I'm not sure I even have a consistent accent anyway. Though one thing I've noticed is consistent, and actually comes from my native accent, is my habit of slurring and smushing words together.

I tried to find examples of my native accent online, but I can't find any. People are self-conscious about it. You just don't see it online or on TV. When people try to "show their natural accent", they end up speaking in some weird unnatural mix of accents instead.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2021, 9:09 pm

I have no idea what to label it to be honest, I know my accent is really flat and nasally. If I had to guess I would say an American Midwest or West Country English accent, I might also have a Pacific Northwest accent. I took an American dialect quiz and my accent came closest to Indiana, Michigan, and Washington State.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2021, 4:09 pm

Im born and raised on the West Coast, but sound like Im from Newfoundland.

it goes something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LJw6PAi5Q8&t=18s

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2021, 11:51 pm

I have a Western American accent, which sounds like a generic American accent albeit with some subtle differences.

ArtsyFarsty
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jul 2021, 2:12 pm

Northern New England accent, which is kind of an amalgam of Yankee and Atlantic Canadian

EdCase

31 Aug 2021, 8:34 am

Depends who I've spent the most time with that day.

When I was at Uni my future wife knew who I'd been spending time with. I thought she was spying on me or she was a witch (not literally), until she told me how she did it.

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

01 Apr 2023, 10:27 am

Mix of Northern Rust Belt and Deep South.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 8:53 pm

g2 wrote:
pavelow wrote:
People have said that I have a British accent even though I'm from Australia. I have been to the UK though and I do have a British background etc.. so this might account for it, although I originally started off with an Australian accent, the fact that it appears to have changed is perhaps strange?, given more thought I could probably come up with a theory.

Fascinating. I have observed that the average American frequently can't tell the difference between accents from the U.K. and Australia very well. I am American, and usual sound like one. However, people have said that I have a slightly Middle Eastern accent before....... don't know where that came from. My Hebrew isn't great, and I hardly ever get a chance to practice it. When I'm talking with someone I feel totally entirely comfortable talking with(so far I have found less than I have fingers on one hand) my voice changes a bit, and picks up a second tone quality, like I was modifying my voice before without noticing it. It's something I don't really understand.

Most of the time the difference is that Australians use what's referred to as Australian Question Intonation where basically every sentence is said as if it's a question. That being said, I did have an Australian coworker that didn't do that, so he sounded far more British than the typical Australian. There are obviously other differences in terms of things like slang and some preferred words.

Accents and languages have long been a particular interest of mine, both personally and professionally.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 8:55 pm

Dylanperr wrote:
I have no idea what to label it to be honest, I know my accent is really flat and nasally. If I had to guess I would say an American Midwest or West Country English accent, I might also have a Pacific Northwest accent. I took an American dialect quiz and my accent came closest to Indiana, Michigan, and Washington State.

I always think it's funny that people suggest that there's a Pacific Northwest accent, when it's a pretty mixed bag of different accents from across the country. I grew up like 20 miles from Rick Steves and he sounds either Minnesotan or Canadian. My best friend grew up like 4 blocks away and he's got something along the lines of a North Carolinian accent and I've got more of a Midwestern accent.

I do think that one will eventually develop, but there's been far too many people coming and going from the region to have any reasonable consensus on how words should be pronounced beyond just standard American English pronunciations like they use on the news.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 10:02 pm

My accent has been described as a 'Midwestern Twang, although I can easily pass for one ah da Yoopers from Ishpeming, eh?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.