Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 1:07 am

I speak German with no real accent, I just speak the "normal" German. But when I am a longer time at my grandparent´s house I tend to speak a bit with their accent. But after a few days this is gone again.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 4:11 pm

A local accent, quite typically. But I've learned to sound a good deal more well-spoken than a lot of the locals...

Sciuridae
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2013, 6:23 am

Midwestern, but unusually featuring the pin-pen merger.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 11:20 pm

I have a very thick Southern accent.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2013, 9:47 am

I have a slight New England accent due to spending the first ten years of my life in Maine.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2013, 8:54 am

US Midwestern monotone. Although I've never pronounced the 'L' in words like old, cold, sold... I didn't realize it until someone I knew in college pointed it out. "ode" "code" "sode"

I'm not sure where that comes from.

Maywynn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2014, 3:35 pm

British: proper Home Counties grammar school educated (posh, okay) and a bit of American (my mom says about a third).
When I'm angry or trying to act, I pick up a bit of a foreign accent. I don't know why.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 8:16 am

Mancunian with a hint of Salfordian.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 5:36 pm

English it's a South East accent although some have said I can sound like someone from the West Country.
When I have to speak Dutch I have a North Holland accent. Years ago I had an Amsterdam accent but I lost that after I moved.
And I have a West Flemish accent as a mother tongue.

RedStar98
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2014, 8:47 am

I've got a typical kind of English accent but I sometimes have a slight Russian accent I get from my grandmother, although I haven't been to Russia since I was about 6.

FeralRobot
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2014, 6:21 pm

British English.
Beyond that, it is quite relative; I have been told by southerners that I have a northern (specifically, Lancashire) accent, and by fellow northerners that I speak the "queen's English" and sound like I am from West London. I use the same vowel pronunciation as in the South (apart from the letter A, which I pronounce in the short "alpha" way rather than the long "are" way for words like "bath" and "laugh"). I do not roll my 'r's. My inflection varies slightly, seemingly randomly, between something closer to that of Lancashire and something closer to that of the home counties, though not very much.

a_dork
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Apr 2014, 6:38 pm

I've lived in California my entire life, and most of my speech is on par with a California accent.

― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2014, 10:53 pm

I have a very typical American accent, but with one slight regional variation. Like a lot of people from Connecticut, I sort of swallow my t's in the middle of words if the t or tt comes between two vowels. For instance, when I say the word cotton, I say the "co" and then it's like I pause for the amount of time it would take to say the t sound, and then I say the the final "on." Altogether it sort of comes out as "co-in"
But there are some words that the t is still pronounced in the middle, for example, autism.

When I speak Spanish (I'm not close to being fluent but I can usually get across what I'm trying to say) I seem to not have any specific accent. I lost my American accent at the beginning of high school when I was around a lot of fluent speakers from a mix of different countries. They would comment that I didn't have an American accent, but when I asked them what accent I did have, they were always stumped for an answer. Since finishing high school I have lost a little bit of my accent, but I have actually lost more of my vocabulary than my accent, which was the opposite of what I had expected.

CharlotteEstevez
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 May 2014, 5:42 am

My english teacher used to say I had a "hoood-ish" slang in my voice whenever I talked for a long time. I don't even know what that means. :-D

TheMighty_Moo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2014, 7:53 am

Ah, I can pull of a lot of accents, actually.
British, American, Australian... I use American mostly, 'cause it's easier to form the words that way.
I've heard native speakers speaking English all my life, so I don't have a "Turkish" accent at all. I don't even remember how to pull of a Turkish accent anymore.
My real accent is Irish though, or something really close to it.

Moo approves!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 11:29 pm

Mostly when I get really tired, I'm super southern (American). Mostly I think I'm just "regular". I, like so many others here, pick-up accents extremely easily. When Madonna had gotten married to Guy Richie and lived in Britain for so long, everybody said she was faking a British accent----but, I figured she was just the same as us and just picked it up, and it sorta clung to her. She could've been doing it for attention, though, of course.