New Town New School and I'm a ... TEACHER?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 10:03 am

So I just moved across the country to attend graduate school. Over the next several years I'll be working on my doctorate and also teaching some classes of university students. I have to say, in the past I've moved away from home, even to other countries, and it was not as daunting as this. I suppose as a kid it was easy to make friends with others because I had numbers in my favor. Even if 70% of all people I meet don't want to talk to me, out of a university of 10,000 undergrads, that's still 3000 potential friends. As a graduate student, it somehow seems weird to try to hang out with undergrad students. Also, I am one of just a handful of graduate students in my department, and I don't know almost any of them. What's more so, they all seem to be too busy to hang out or chat. It's been one week now, and the only people I've gotten to talk to for more than five minutes were family members or friends from back home. I know classes haven't officially started yet, but once they do, do you think things will pick up?

I can't wait till I make some friends. I just sit around my one-room apartment with my cat and work on projects while listening to music all day. I can't even go to my office yet because I need to undergo orientation before I get my keys. This is kind-of rough.

Thoughts?

Kalinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Sep 2012, 11:12 am

Good luck! I'm sure things will progress well once things pick up more.

"Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better." Martin Luther King, Jr.