Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2014, 12:45 pm

Hello,

Anybody see Al Seckel's images of visual optical illusions?

http://www.amazon.com/Al-Seckel/e/B001JS8YIM

Thank-you

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2014, 11:09 pm

I see patterns in ceiling tiles and stones and textiles, concrete things. I guess for me it's not really that there is a pattern, like you said, OP, people see patterns in concrete things all the time even if they are not on the Spectrum. I think for me it's more the I am really attracted to seeing them. Like I have a hard time ignoring them. I always notice them and can be fascinated by them and stare at them in a way that most NT's would probably find weird and maybe even a little disturbing. Like the way I look at the patterns which such focus and intrigue might make people look at me like I am a weirdo.

Wreck It Ralph

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2014, 11:50 pm

PixelPony wrote:
Spotting the repeating pattern in a decorative pattern that is trying to be random.

I always do this. The lack of a truly random wallpaper out there frankly distresses me. I desire complete order or complete randomness, so faux randomness aggravates me.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 12:08 am

mljt wrote:
I obsess over how many times I do things, so quite often I'll notice how many of things there are. Seats on the tube are a good example:

Picture here.

I find myself focussing on the squares and looking at them in turn, in fours. So I'll pick a square, look to the one next to it, then underneath that one, then the one next to that one, in a square shape. I'll do this repeatedly.

I do that too, whenever there's a pattern of squares, on a tile floor or in a brick wall or something, I'll group the squares, usually into fours, and see the pattern they make. I don't really do it on purpose, it's more of an unconscious compulsion. When I realise I'm doing it, I try to stop, because there are far more interesting things to think about than tiles on a floor. I also obsessively count stairs, and notice patterns in their numbers. For instance, there's a staircase on my school campus with 28 steps, and it's broken into four segments of 7 steps with wide gaps in between. Same with the stairwells; there are two sets of stairs that go up and around a corner, with 16 steps in each segment making for a total of 32. I sometimes get annoyed with these patterns because I'm uninterested in them and the compulsive counting invades whatever other thing I might have been thinking about at the time. Sometimes I'll recite my favourite movie lines or songs to myself as I walk, and when I reach stairs, it always bugs me that I have to interrupt the recitation because I have to count the stairs, even if I've walked up and down them a hundred times and know exactly how many there are.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2014, 12:23 am

28 is a great number:

1+2+3+4+5+6+7

Also, it's the sum of all its possible factors (except itself):

1+2+4+7+14

spinningpixie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Mar 2014, 8:36 am

i was shocked the first time my husband told me that not everyone saw the world in terms of patterns. to me, everything is a pattern. i'm either describing patterns or predicting patterns in everything that i do. reading is just noticing patterns and predicting. i still can't see how anything is not related to patterns.

grainxs

30 Mar 2014, 8:52 am

JSBACHlover wrote:
PixelPony wrote:
Spotting the repeating pattern in a decorative pattern that is trying to be random.

I always do this. The lack of a truly random wallpaper out there frankly distresses me. I desire complete order or complete randomness, so faux randomness aggravates me.

I really love faux randomness! Real randomness in something I can't tolerate with.

And I love patterns that share their parts with the next part of the pattern, in the way that the parts of the pattern belong to two different ensembles in the same time. I mean like this:
[img][800:900]http://i.stack.imgur.com/EW0ka.jpg[/img]

(Look at the orange lines there. They belong to two ensembles in the same time)

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2014, 2:12 pm

Hello,

Thank-you for your responses. It's amazing to find pattern recognition abilities, preferences, etc. put into words.

How are Al Seckel's images of visual optical illusions interpreted?

I'm attempting to glean Mr. Seckel's examples of visual optical illusions to develop a pattern with digital imaging software; that "tricks the mind" into seeing patterns in fields of random dots.

It would be awesome to see examples inspired by Mr. Seckel's visual illusions in this discussion thread!

Thank-you

Webalina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 4:05 pm

JSBACHlover wrote:
28 is a great number:

1+2+3+4+5+6+7

Also, it's the sum of all its possible factors (except itself):

1+2+4+7+14

This is great! I never noticed that before. I'll probably see 28 all over the place now...;)

I notice visual patterns like you've all mentioned -- we have faux-marble paneling in our bathroom that reveals all sorts of cool pictures! -- but I also notice patterns in...hmm, don't know what to call it really. I'll notice how many of the same color car are sitting in a parking lot, or how many times the same number comes up when I'm playing a game using dice, or when a particular item -- artichokes or Diet root beer or whatever -- is being bought more often than usual in the supermarket where I work. And it seems that every business in our little town has a phone number ending in 1.

Go as far as you can see. When you get there, you will see farther.